Akai S1100 Loading Issues

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
jblo5

Akai S1100 Loading Issues

Post by jblo5 »

Hi,

I'm having issues with my Gotek and Akai S1100 in regards to loading from disk.

- Gotek displays HxC
- Jumper in S0
- Ribbon installed the right way, if I change it the displays shows 'rib'.
- Recognises all content from the S1100 QuickInstall folder
- Is unable to load any of the QuickInstall samples however, when I load bank 000 for example it displays "loading samples" but only "RX7CONGALO" shows up in the RAM and it sounds corrupted AND that sample isn't in the list of contents for disk 000.
- Individual cursor items also do not load (despite the usual "loading" message)
- My own templates and the ROM template which I saved to disk load in full with no issues
- Music saved across multiple disks does not load with an "ERROR bad floppy disk format" message

I've tried different USBs, reformatting, clean QuickInstall files, loading different disks at boot, booting with no USB, swapping ribbon cable as mentioned earlier, formatting disk inside the Akai and can't seem to fix the issue or find anybody else who has had the same issue as me

At this point any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Akai S1100 Loading Issues

Post by Jeff »

Which firmware version is installed in the Gotek ? (remove the stick , press both buttons, select 'F' and read the digits).

Is the S1100 working properly with the floppy disk drive ?

jblo5

Post by jblo5 »

Version 3525 and yes the original floppy drive was working fine

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jblo5 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:58 pm
- My own templates and the ROM template which I saved to disk load in full with no issues
To/From the Gotek ?

Can you try to format one Akai HFE file and share it here ?
(or send me it to hxc2001 at hxc2001 dot com)

jblo5

Post by jblo5 »

Yes to and from. I am working on a song which is currently only occupying 1 disk and it is saving and loading fine, other projects which span across multiple disks return the error message and fail to load as do the QuickInstall disks 000 to 006.

I have attached a disk formatted in the S1100 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mp77aF ... sp=sharing however the screen read "WARNING !! OK BUT DISK MAY BE UNRELIABLE" is this normal? It says the same every time I format.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The image appears to be perfectly fine.

So the issue is a disk change detection issue ? I suppose that the loading fail at the second disk image ?

jblo5

Post by jblo5 »

Yes potentially, however loading fails on the first image and I think this may be linked to when 1 file is stored across 2 floppies.
It still doesn't explain why the QuickInstall disks won't load but I'm not too bothered about that, I just want to be able to work with multiple disks at a time.

It would be great to hear from other S1100 users, I can't be the only one who's had this issue? Makes me think there's something wrong with my unit!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jblo5 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:34 pm
Yes potentially, however loading fails on the first image and I think this may be linked to when 1 file is stored across 2 floppies.
It still doesn't explain why the QuickInstall disks won't load but I'm not too bothered about that, I just want to be able to work with multiple disks at a time.

It would be great to hear from other S1100 users, I can't be the only one who's had this issue? Makes me think there's something wrong with my unit!
yes the issue is odd. This is maybe related to the OS version you are using ?
Can you share one non working multi-disk images ?

jblo5

Post by jblo5 »

So I now have a project across multiple disks and it seems to be loading without any problems?! One thing worth noting is that all working disks remain "NOT NAMED" after saving whereas the disks that don't work were automatically allocated names such as "W3X3Y3Z3#3+3" and "000000000000"
I also took the USB out and reinserted in between saves as I saw that user of other music equipment had success with this however I can't vouch for that.
FWIW here's the W3X3Y3Z3#3+3 disk, I'd love to know if there's something wrong with it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iUeyxU ... sp=sharing

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The image itself seems fine, but this doesn't mean that it is correctly formatted for the S1100. Where did you get it ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I think we should try to make the QuickInstall images working : They must work properly otherwise there is something wrong...
(Same for the S950 images btw)

Some points to check :

- The jumper must be set to S0. Remove any others jumper.
- Clear the internal settings : Press the right gotek button at power up during 5 seconds. All internal settings are then cleared.
- Don't touch to any settings : HFE files already have the right settings.
- Copy the S1100 images and indexed CFG file from the QuickInstall images archive. Rename the indexed CFG file to HXCSDFE.CFG.

If this setup still doesn't work try to downgrade the firmware to the version v3.4.11.2a.

jblo5

Post by jblo5 »

Apart from downgrading firmware I have tried everything else you mentioned and I had mixed results with clearing the internal settings. It appeared to have fixed the issue at first as I was able to load QuickInstall disks properly however after changing disks a few times it stopped working again.
The issue isn't consistent with how many times I change disk nor which disks I try to load so I'm not sure exactly what causes it to stop working every time. One thing that was consistent was that all disks (including QuickInstall ones) were called "NOT NAMED" when the sytem functioned properly yet when the issue came back they went back to being called "W3X3Y3Z3#3+3" and "000000000000"

I will flash the firmware tomorrow and see where that gets us. Thanks for your ongoing help Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

One additional thing to try :

Request a custom firmware with the "Non gated mode" option set :

https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/

einfall_industrie

Post by einfall_industrie »

Hi @Jeff,
I have got exactly the same issue with the same filenames displayed and behavior described. I got the firmware today, upgraded from the FlashFloppy, put a v5 new firmware on it and tried the quickdisk files. I also tried a bunch of other .hfe's with no success. Was this issue ever resolved or are there pointers?

best,
Max

Jeff_HxC2001

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

einfall_industrie wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:25 pm
Hi @Jeff,
I have got exactly the same issue with the same filenames displayed and behavior described. I got the firmware today, upgraded from the FlashFloppy, put a v5 new firmware on it and tried the quickdisk files. I also tried a bunch of other .hfe's with no success. Was this issue ever resolved or are there pointers?

best,
Max
All the s950 hfe images are presenting the same issue ? Have tried to format the image from the machine ?