replacement for FDD Teac FD-235HF-7579

dron

replacement for FDD Teac FD-235HF-7579

Post by dron »

Hello,
first of all - sorry for my english...
Iam looking for replacement FDD in my old embroidery machine. It is Brother machine BAS 416A, but more important is FDD Teac FD-235HF-7579 inside.
It is FDD with some compatibility jumpers (they call it "straps" in manual), teac made few more types of FDDisks with them, but it is all past today. (and normal jumper-less FDD do not work)

I checked few emulators, some has notes about good compatibility, even with Teac FD-235HF-7579, but (honestly :oops: ) price is 2x 3x bigger, than for Yours solution...

So, question is: could I use Your FDD emulator like replacement for my FDD?

Thank You,
Dron - CR

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: replacement for FDD Teac FD-235HF-7579

Post by Jeff »

Should works without problem.
If any problem please contact us.

dron

Post by dron »

Hello,
yesterday I tryied to use emulator with my embroidery machine, but without sucess.
After all, I make tests with every possible jumper set, (switch off machine, re-jump, switch on machine) but no configuration were working.
Emulator from Lotharek is OK (working perfect for me on PC), so problem is probably really inside jumpers on original FDD.
I have found old PDF with all specifications of this flopy disk, but I do not know how to adapt emulator to work with same setting (if is it posible).

http://www.teac.com/DSPD/pdf/3fd0020a.pdf

Relevant part of PDF from list 26 to 30. Iam also sending photo of my floppy with good visible jumpers.

Please help, any idea will be welcomed.
Yes and by the way - please excuse my "inglish"

Thank You, Dron - CR
Attachments
Teac FDD.jpg
Teac FDD.jpg (119.51 KiB) Viewed 13524 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

dron wrote:Hello,
yesterday I tryied to use emulator with my embroidery machine, but without sucess.
After all, I make tests with every possible jumper set, (switch off machine, re-jump, switch on machine) but no configuration were working.
Emulator from Lotharek is OK (working perfect for me on PC), so problem is probably really inside jumpers on original FDD.
I have found old PDF with all specifications of this flopy disk, but I do not know how to adapt emulator to work with same setting (if is it posible).

http://www.teac.com/DSPD/pdf/3fd0020a.pdf

Relevant part of PDF from list 26 to 30. Iam also sending photo of my floppy with good visible jumpers.

Please help, any idea will be welcomed.
Yes and by the way - please excuse my "inglish"

Thank You, Dron - CR
Hi,

Can you send me the HFE file please ?

https://hxc2001.com/contactus/

dron

Post by dron »

Hello,

You are VERY fast... :o)
I have to miss something, or Iam completely out - I thinked, that HFE files are just images, created by HxCFloppy Emulator. I formated SD card by manual, gave HXCSDFE.CFG on it and olso 1-2 HFE files, that I created in HxCFloppy Emulator. It worked on my PC well. So which HFE file should I sent? I have no original FDD, Iam using normal PC to write on normal FDD and just giving it to embroidery machine. Machine is compatible with PC - DOS floppy disks.

Thank You for patience - computers are not my hobby...

Dron

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

You are VERY fast... :o)
I have to miss something, or Iam completely out - I thinked, that HFE files are just images, created by HxCFloppy Emulator. I formated SD card by manual, gave HXCSDFE.CFG on it and olso 1-2 HFE files, that I created in HxCFloppy Emulator. It worked on my PC well. So which HFE file should I sent? I have no original FDD, Iam using normal PC to write on normal FDD and just giving it to embroidery machine. Machine is compatible with PC - DOS floppy disks.

Thank You for patience - computers are not my hobby...

Dron
THe HFE that you are trying to use with the hxc and your hardware of course.

About the HxC Floppy Emulator led, how react the floppy access led (the led at the middle)? is it always ON or OFF , or ON when your hardware try to access the virtual disk ?

According to your picture and the datasheet you need to set the HxC Floppy Emulator jumper to the DriveA-ID0 position or DriveA-ID3 if you are using a twisted cable.

dron

Post by dron »

Hello,

jumper on DriveA-ID0 (parallel cable - no crossing),
after switching machine on - green + orange LEDs on,
after inserting SD card - no change,
after proper HFE file selecting on emulator - all 3 LEDs on.

(I remember, that I tryied normal new floppy drive on it before time - it where also lighting all the time with "reading LED".)

Iam sending HFE file that I tested - there are few small "dst" files (embroidery programs).
On PC with DriveA-ID3 (crossed) it works perfectly.....

Thanks once more for Your time,
dron
Attachments
FDD.zip
(95.2 KiB) Downloaded 696 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jumper on DriveA-ID0 (parallel cable - no crossing),
after switching machine on - green + orange LEDs on,
after inserting SD card - no change,
after proper HFE file selecting on emulator - all 3 LEDs on.

(I remember, that I tryied normal new floppy drive on it before time - it where also lighting all the time with "reading LED".)
And this floppy disk drive worked ?

For me if the floppy access led is always on, the floppy cable is not in right direction.
Reverse it at the machine connector OR at the HxC connector.

dron

Post by dron »

Hello,

no, that floppy before time did not work.
On machines motherboard (or what the hell is it) is cable in original position (and also it have some "click-lock" connector - I think that turn it 180 degrees is not possible.
And other end of cable (to floppy) have standard floppy connector (with "nose" on long side) which left only one direction possible to connect to emulator.

True is, that on my old floppy is not cover around connector, so man could twist connector in both directions. (good position is with "nose" up to roof of floppy.
Iam scared, that if I try to connect it upside-down, I could make physical damage on data connector and/or emulator conector... :o(

If You think that there is problem, I will try gently connect it upside-down (on my responsibility of course), or better, will I try to grind "nose" off....
Dron

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

no, that floppy before time did not work.
On machines motherboard (or what the hell is it) is cable in original position (and also it have some "click-lock" connector - I think that turn it 180 degrees is not possible.
And other end of cable (to floppy) have standard floppy connector (with "nose" on long side) which left only one direction possible to connect to emulator.

True is, that on my old floppy is not cover around connector, so man could twist connector in both directions. (good position is with "nose" up to roof of floppy.
Iam scared, that if I try to connect it upside-down, I could make physical damage on data connector and/or emulator conector... :o(

If You think that there is problem, I will try gently connect it upside-down (on my responsibility of course), or better, will I try to grind "nose" off....
Dron
Yes cut/remove this nose on the floppy connector and reverse it on the HxC.

dron

Post by dron »

Hello,

thank You - after cutting nose of connector and turning it upside-down thing looks much better.
It is still not loading form SD, but emulator is trying to work.

Emulator open image file, if I pres "load" on machine, yellow "load" LED is flashing.
But load is not sucessfull.

On emulator is :
FDD.HFE
T:040/080 S:0

if machine asks for file, yellow LED is flashing, on emulator is for moment
FDD.HFE
RA T:040/080 S:0
(also changes T:040 probably to T:000, but it is too fast to read)

Could You advise with this, please?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

thank You - after cutting nose of connector and turning it upside-down thing looks much better.
It is still not loading form SD, but emulator is trying to work.

Emulator open image file, if I pres "load" on machine, yellow "load" LED is flashing.
But load is not sucessfull.

On emulator is :
FDD.HFE
T:040/080 S:0

if machine asks for file, yellow LED is flashing, on emulator is for moment
FDD.HFE
RA T:040/080 S:0
(also changes T:040 probably to T:000, but it is too fast to read)

Could You advise with this, please?
are you using a twisted floppy cable or not ?
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/fddcable.jpg
if yes this is the issue.

anyway can try this hfe file ?

EDIT : Are you sure that the BAS 416A support HD (1.44MB) Disk ?
Attachments
FDD2.zip
(340.73 KiB) Downloaded 630 times

dron

Post by dron »

Hello,

cable is parallell, no twisting. I tryied jumper on correct "uncrossed cable" position (read error and machine beeping while reading) and also wrong jumper position for crossed cable (machine block itself completely while reading.)

Iam sure that the BAS 416A support HD (1.44MB) Disks - Iam using common Verbatim,

http://www.milobook.com/verbatim-87410- ... ack-of-10/

saving on them on PC (in common floppy drive) and read them on embroidery machine...

I just checked Your images, with shugarts images machine start read with error immediately,
"normal" images goes to 40/80 (like i wroted before) and then writes error.

Please look for jumpers picure, there are few differences between classic FDD and rejumpered FDD, there are some input/otput changes, I do not understand it, but You will....
Attachments
jumpers.jpg
jumpers.jpg (209.86 KiB) Viewed 13498 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Please to a picture of the hxc floppy emulator.
i want to see the jumper.

and how do you create the file image ?
do you use a special software to copy *.DST file on the floppy ?
do you got the same behavior/error with FDD2_DD.hfe ?
What means "yellow LED is flashing" ? what is the error exactly
this seems like the BAS 416A can read the floppy, but there are file missing ?

Can you dump/read a working floppy disk with the hxc software and send me the HFE file ?

dron

Post by dron »

Hello,

last try - first picture - connected emulator and jumper position.
- second picture - image loaded to emulator. (green + red LEDs on)
- third picture error message on machine panel. (when I press "reading" on machine, middle LED is showing reading, also emulators beeper is pretending reading, but mechine reading error)
- fourth picture - cable from board to emulator. Not crossed.

Answers:
No extra software for copy to FDD on my computer (windows explorer - nothing more).

Image creating - in Your software, "Create FS copy" - > choosing 3"5 1,44M DSHD FAT12 - > Inject directory.

Yes, I tryied all Your images, all ends with same error. (shugarts images blocks machine - reset needed)

"yellow LED is flashing" means "emulator is trying read" = Yellow led flashing, beeper clattering.

No files are missing, on SDcard is image (or images) and HXCSDFE.CFG with standard (IBM PC 1,44) settings.

Images that You have sent to me are ok, I tryied them in emulator connected to my PC - working 100%.(shugarts images not working, but they should not, are not they?)

Note:

Please, listen to me. I wrote that computers are not my hobby, Iam not able to create device to connect to computer, but lets say, Iam advanced PC user.
I built all of my computers - beginning on 386 before 20 years and ends my i5 now.

I think, that real reason, why common floppy drivers are no compatible (yes they ARE compatible but only with diskette and FAT version) is, that with jumpers on original teac FDD You can mix-up pins on data cable.

http://pinouts.ru/Storage/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml

If I look to FDD data manual, I could see that shugart interface is different that today "classic".
So please - if You look for changes that cause jumpers (earlier message from me), could You say me, which datacable interface is it?

Is it some standard? Or is it some industrial FDD with rare interface?
It is sure ALMOST like classic FDD interface, but not completely same.
That is why I could not use common FDD and very probably why emulator have compatibility problem.

Dron
Attachments
emul.jpg
emul.jpg (93.9 KiB) Viewed 13488 times