Using one .HFE file in IBM PC and Shugart emulators

fbituco

Using one .HFE file in IBM PC and Shugart emulators

Post by fbituco »

Hello.
I would like to ask You for help.
We have standard SD FB - HXC Rev F in one of our machines in Shugart mode. We created .HFE and it all works fine.
BUt, there is some very old laptop where new programs can be created. So we bought SD ZIF - HXC SLIM ZIF and connect it to laptop.
But I can not use original .HFE file which is working in Shugart mode in standard HCX emulator inside ZIF emulator, which is connected as IBM PC.

I set ZIF emulator SD HxC Floppy Emulator Interface Settings to IBM PC HD, but it does not help.
I am able to format .HFE file in ZIF emulator to make it work, but it is not an option, because there is no simple way how to copy all programs.

I also compared Shugart mode .HFE file and formatted .HFE file and they are the same except interface mode.
I also saw few users which were placing some umpopulated resistors on ZIF emulator, but I am not sure if I should do this because emulator works... It just wont properly handle setting maybe?

Thanks for help.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Using one .HFE file in IBM PC and Shugart emulators

Post by Jeff »

The normal way to do this is to set/force the interface mode to ibm pc on the embedded menu on the emulator... Of course this is not easy to do this on the Slim HxC without LCD screen. :wink:

I see this workaround : Set the CFG or the HFE files in IBM PC interface mode for the ZIF drive, and force the Shugart interface mode in the Rev F embedded menu.

fbituco

Post by fbituco »

Hello. ANd what should be set?

Just interface settings, or also HFE file interface mode?
Because I can set HFE file Interface mode to IBM PC 1.44, but after closing HxCFloppyEmulator SW and reopening it, loading config file with HFE file Interface mode set to IBM PC 1.44... It shows always Auto. But I can see that in cfg file two bytes changed.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

fbituco wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 am
Hello. ANd what should be set?

Just interface settings, or also HFE file interface mode?
Because I can set HFE file Interface mode to IBM PC 1.44, but after closing HxCFloppyEmulator SW and reopening it, loading config file with HFE file Interface mode set to IBM PC 1.44... It shows always Auto. But I can see that in cfg file two bytes changed.
Just change it in the cfg file, this is fine too.

fbituco

Post by fbituco »

Hello.
Bellow my current settings. IBMPC .hfe file is working. Shugart .hfe file is not working. Machine is not trying to read flopy at all, it shows error immediately after pressing key for floppy reading... This is why I believe that Emulator Interface Settings or Interfacemode are not working as they should. I have last FW in ZIF floppy emulator...
Thanks for help.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

fbituco wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:39 pm
Hello.
Bellow my current settings. IBMPC .hfe file is working. Shugart .hfe file is not working. Machine is not trying to read flopy at all, it shows error immediately after pressing key for floppy reading... This is why I believe that Emulator Interface Settings or Interfacemode are not working as they should. I have last FW in ZIF floppy emulator...
Thanks for help.
please share the files present on the sdcard.
Which mahine doesn't read the disk ? the pc or the machine with the zif drive ?

fbituco

Post by fbituco »

Hello.

Machine is able to read original .hfe file. There is standard emulator with 34 pins.
PC is not albe to read original .hfe file. There is ZIF emulator.

Original .hfe file is here: https://megaupload.cz/xv1O2/DSKA0000.hfe.html. At track 0 on side 1, you can see drive label: ???????
.hfe file, which I created on PC (Just formatting any .hfe file): https://megaupload.cz/LIEYF/DSKA0003.HFE.html. Drive label is LAMA

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

oh i thought that the ZIF emulator was in the machine. Which PC it is ? a laptop ?

fbituco

Post by fbituco »

Yes. DELL Latitude 840.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

fbituco wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:47 pm
Yes. DELL Latitude 840.
Use the normal/default PC HFE files (DD version) and indexed config file and force the interface mode to shugart on the Rev F emulator.

(btw your links are not working).

fbituco

Post by fbituco »

Yeah, they expired...

Oh, I can understand. It was not very clear in HxCFloppyEmulator how to change HFE File Interface Mode from Shugart to IBM PC for already existing .HFE file (It will be good to add it into manual - Interface mode when exporting depends on HFE File Interface Mode which is set in SD HxC Floppy Emulator Settings).
So I changed not working .HFE file from Shugart to IBM PC and Dell laptop with ZIF emulator now can load it without problem.
And as You advised, i changed Emulator Interface Settings from "From HFE" to "Generic Shugart" on HXC Rev F and it can properly handle IBM PC .HFE file.

Thanks for help!