HP 8753ES with SDHxCFESlim not working

rbarrios

HP 8753ES with SDHxCFESlim not working

Post by rbarrios »

Hi all,

I'm trying to install a SDHxCFESlim (RevA 211212) on the 8753ES that came with a TEAC FD-05HF drive. I started setting the emulator as IBM PC HD because it seems that same TEAC drive is in the HP 54540C oscilloscope and the table (https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... upport.htm) details it Works as Slim IBM-PC. The 8753 will only boot with the ID0A swich ON and the rest OFF, so that is how I have it set.

I have four images in the SD card and pressing the button I get 1 beep, then two beeps, etc so the images seem to be being loaded OK. The problem is I get a "CAUTION: WRONG DISK FORMAT, INITIALIZE DISK" and when I try to format the disk I get "CAUTION: DISK MEDIUM NOT INITIALIZED".

Desperate, I've also tried with SHUGART settings, no luck.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Roberto

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HP 8753ES with SDHxCFESlim not working

Post by Jeff »

You may need to add some additional pull up/termination resistors on the slim board :
add 1Kohms resistors on R4,R8,R9.

rbarrios

Post by rbarrios »

Hi Jeff. That is something I would never have tried by myself :D . I will check it later today when I'm back home. I will report back.

Thank you!
Roberto

rbarrios

Post by rbarrios »

Hi,

I've just installed 1K resistor in R4, R8 and R9. No luck, same behaviour. Re-tried changing settings all over and still same messages.

It is supposed to work on this instrument, what should I try next? Can I give you some other information?

Thank you,
Roberto

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

rbarrios wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:19 pm
Hi,

I've just installed 1K resistor in R4, R8 and R9. No luck, same behaviour. Re-tried changing settings all over and still same messages.

It is supposed to work on this instrument, what should I try next? Can I give you some other information?

Thank you,
Roberto
Which file image and config file are you using ? (please send them to me at hxc2001 at hxc2001.com)

rbarrios

Post by rbarrios »

Hi Jeff!

After installing the 1K pull-up resistor in R4, R8 and R9, the problem was the image I was using. I found a thread about a Tektronix oscilloscope that uses the same TEAC drive as the 8753ES and I downloaded the image used there. Now it is working great, thank you!

I am attaching the image file just in case it is of help to someone in the future. Also a picture o the finished installation. I had to drill a hole to fit he plastic piece and I sanded the border of the metal frame because it did not fit in the window the instrument has for the floppy. I also painted it, it resulted too white, but I prefer it to the black one.

It is working great now.

Thank you!
Roberto
Attachments
DSKA0000_HFE.zip
(70.38 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
8753es.jpg
8753es.jpg (57.58 KiB) Viewed 5531 times

rbarrios

Post by rbarrios »

Hi Jeff,

The hardware forks fine. But for some reason, DosdiskBrowser.exe extracts files which only have lots of 0x00 in them. HxCFloppyEmulator.exe downloads pictures and text files perfectly fine, the same files from the same SD card.

Is this a known problem with DosDiskBrowser.exe?

I am attaching the image file I am reading, it has files written in the 8753ES analyzer. I can't extract them with the DosDiskBroser.exe tool

Thank you,
Roberto
Attachments
DSKA0000.zip
(104.07 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

rbarrios wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:01 pm
Hi Jeff,

The hardware forks fine. But for some reason, DosdiskBrowser.exe extracts files which only have lots of 0x00 in them. HxCFloppyEmulator.exe downloads pictures and text files perfectly fine, the same files from the same SD card.

Is this a known problem with DosDiskBrowser.exe?

I am attaching the image file I am reading, it has files written in the 8753ES analyzer. I can't extract them with the DosDiskBroser.exe tool

Thank you,
Roberto
I didn't managed to reproduce the issue. all appears to work fine here.
Are you using this version ? :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rowser.zip

rbarrios

Post by rbarrios »

Sorry for taking such a long time to reply. It seems to work fine on another PC, no need to loose time with it.

Thank you,
Roberto