Slim SD HxC Emulator for Tektronix TDS oscilloscope

devgit

Re: Slim SD HxC Emulator for Tektronix TDS oscilloscope

Post by devgit »

Hello Jeff, Thanks for your reply.

I have fitted 1K in R8, and flashed the new firmware.

When I flashed the firmware, the disk LED was flashing the code 10 repeatedly. Is this normal?

When I boot the scope, the disk LED flashes at approx 5 Hz, then goes on solid for a few seconds. The sounder makes 4 disk sounds like chirps, then the disk LED reverts to flashing at 5 Hz continuously.

When operating the scope disk drive menu (now with HXCSDFE.CFG from Tektronix_TDS.zip on the SD card), it still gives the same error about incompatible floppy disk or unformatted. If I try to format it, it says the disk is write protected.

Regards

John.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

devgit wrote:Hello Jeff, Thanks for your reply.

I have fitted 1K in R8, and flashed the new firmware.

When I flashed the firmware, the disk LED was flashing the code 10 repeatedly. Is this normal?
No, this is a failure.
Please retry with another sdcard.

devgit

Post by devgit »

Hello Jeff,

I have replaced the SD card, and I believe it has now updated with the firmware you posted (no error flashes after, just the usual 5Hz LED flicker).

Now when it is powered up with the Tektronix_TDS/HXCSDFE.CFG file on the SD card it does this :-

The floppy LED is off, then after a few seconds it comes on continuously for about 6 seconds, and the sounders chirps 4 times. LED goes off again (No flashing).

However, despite the progress, the scopes file utilities sadly give the same error as before.

Regards

John.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

did you hear something from the emulator when you insert the sdcard ?

devgit

Post by devgit »

Hi Jeff, I booted with the SD card in before.

Now I try booting without the SD card in. Wait until its fully booted. Insert the SD card, the floppy LED flashed once briefly. There is no sound from the emulator.

Is that good or bad?

Regards

John.

devgit

Post by devgit »

I have tried reformatting the card, copying the HXCSDFE.CFG over again. But the results are the same.

Regards

John.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

devgit wrote:Hi Jeff, I booted with the SD card in before.

Now I try booting without the SD card in. Wait until its fully booted. Insert the SD card, the floppy LED flashed once briefly. There is no sound from the emulator.

Is that good or bad?

Regards

John.
Bad. This probably mean that the CFG file is not set in indexed mode, so no HFE is loaded.
Change this setting with the hxc software and rename the HFE file to DSKA0000.HFE

devgit

Post by devgit »

Hello Jeff, did you mean rename to DSKA0000.CFG?. As I understand it, the SD card has only the CFG file on it initially, and then any writes by the scope hardware to the "floppy" are stored as HFE files by the floppy emu. Can you correct me? or be more specific?

I checked the HXCSDFE.CFG setting using the HxCFloppyEmulator software, and it appears to have indexing mode on. But its set to emulate two floppy's which does not seem right ? (attached)
Attachments
floppy emu settings.png
floppy emu settings.png (63.97 KiB) Viewed 7526 times

devgit

Post by devgit »

I renamed the HXCSDFE.CFG to DSKA0000.CFG, and now when I insert the floppy LED flashes constantly at about 2/3 Hz. No sound, still the same error on the scope.

devgit

Post by devgit »

Hello Jeff, do you have any more information for me?

Regards

John.

devgit

Post by devgit »

Hello, I have corrected my misunderstanding. I see now that you have to create the HFE image file on the SD card first, to represent the file structure of a floppy. I have the two files HXCSDFE.CFG and DSKA0000.HFE on the SD card and now this is working great :D

Next I copy 3 more files DSKA0001.HFE - DSKA0003.HFE, and click the floppy button to index to next HFE image. But I cannot save to these, the scope says no floppy is in the drive.

Regards

John.

devgit

Post by devgit »

Its all working now. The 4 HFE disks in DosDiskBrowser.zip dont work with my scope, even though the disk settings look the same on the HCXFloppyEmulator program. But when I copied and renamed the DSKA0000.HFE from the Tektronix_TDS zip it works a treat. Clearly there is still some knowledge I am missing, but I cant seem to find it in any documents. I just need to cut the metal frame length down now to match the original floppy, and fit a longer 26 pin FPC cable. I will post some pictures when its finished.

devgit

Post by devgit »

Here is the finished TDS 3000 with HxC floppy emulator installed.

I had to band saw about 12mm off the length of the metal backplate to match the size or the original TEAC floppy. I use a 150mm FFC ribbon cable from RS components 122-2608 as the original FFC was too short for the HxC.

With 4 "disks" on the SD card, I have now been able to update the scope firmware, which has now given me free math "modules" for FFC and Dual Wfm, thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20161101_154104436__1478020431_185.46.211.115.jpg
IMG_20161101_154104436__1478020431_185.46.211.115.jpg (8.44 KiB) Viewed 7501 times