HP4145A

wolfgang

HP4145A

Post by wolfgang »

Hi ,
I saw the HP4145B discussion.

I have a "A" with a 5 1/2 drive (which is dead) .

Has someone the startup file for the "A" ? and can me guide how to setup the emulator for the HP4145A ?

Thanks !

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HP4145A

Post by Jeff »

wolfgang wrote:Hi ,
I saw the HP4145B discussion.

I have a "A" with a 5 1/2 drive (which is dead) .

Has someone the startup file for the "A" ? and can me guide how to setup the emulator for the HP4145A ?

Thanks !
I can dump and make images from any kind of disks. Just contact me by email :

echapman930

Post by echapman930 »

SoIi have confirmed that the HP 4145A can be adapted to except the Floppy drive emulator.

So here's the low down and dirty of getting it all to work.

1. I wasn't able to get the original disk to dump to SD possibly because i was using the wrong settings, However Jean from support was able to hook me up with the needed disk images. All i needed to do was unzip the files and copy them to the root of the Floppy emulator.

2. install a 34 pin Female IDC 2.54mm pitch socket connector to the Floppy drive ribbon cable connected to the HP4145A. This cable cannot be removed without significant work. Adding the connector will save you allot of heart-ache. A simple press fit connector will do just fine. be sure pin 1 is located on the same side as the original floppy drive connector. You do not need to remove the old floppy drive connector either. The added benefit is the upgrade can always be removed and the old drive put back in, not that you would want to though.

3. A bit of hardware modifications, you will need to add two resistors to the HCX board and a jumper wire.
a. Add a 1K 0603 to R9, This is a pull up resistor. EDIT : Not needed anymore ! Installed by default by Lotharek !
b. Add a 1K 0603 to R4, This is a pull up resistor. EDIT : Not needed anymore ! Installed by default by Lotharek !
c. Add a jumper wire from pin 34 to pin 6, Pin 6 is not connected to anything on the emulator however pin 6 is used by the HP4145A to indicate that a disk is inserted. Without this jumper you will get an "Error M02" on the display.

4. Set the dip switches, they should be 10010000(left to right when the floppy connector is facing up and away from you)

5. Insert the SD card and power up the unit. It should now be working.

Edit...Added pictures

lerppu1

Post by lerppu1 »

echapman930: Could you post the floppy disk image here? I plan to do the same thing as you but I don't have any way to extract it from the original floppy.

What are the hardware modifications needed for, the resistors and the dip switch setting? I have the "SD C - HXC Floppy Emulator REV C" interface which doesn't have those. I guess I have to try without them first.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Here it is :
HP4145A.zip
(148.89 KiB) Downloaded 637 times

ADRIANASILVA

Post by ADRIANASILVA »

Thanks so much for attaching the image of the disk and the tip of putting the jumper wire from pin 34 to pin 6. I installed and is working!

:D

elliotte

Post by elliotte »

echapman930 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 am
SoIi have confirmed that the HP 4145A can be adapted to except the Floppy drive emulator.

So here's the low down and dirty of getting it all to work.

1. I wasn't able to get the original disk to dump to SD possibly because i was using the wrong settings, However Jean from support was able to hook me up with the needed disk images. All i needed to do was unzip the files and copy them to the root of the Floppy emulator.

2. install a 34 pin Female IDC 2.54mm pitch socket connector to the Floppy drive ribbon cable connected to the HP4145A. This cable cannot be removed without significant work. Adding the connector will save you allot of heart-ache. A simple press fit connector will do just fine. be sure pin 1 is located on the same side as the original floppy drive connector. You do not need to remove the old floppy drive connector either. The added benefit is the upgrade can always be removed and the old drive put back in, not that you would want to though.

3. A bit of hardware modifications, you will need to add two resistors to the HCX board and a jumper wire.
a. Add a 1K 0603 to R9, This is a pull up resistor.
b. Add a 1K 0603 to R4, This is a pull up resistor.
c. Add a jumper wire from pin 34 to pin 6, Pin 6 is not connected to anything on the emulator however pin 6 is used by the HP4145A to indicate that a disk is inserted. Without this jumper you will get an "Error M02" on the display.

4. Set the dip switches, they should be 10010000(left to right when the floppy connector is facing up and away from you)

5. Insert the SD card and power up the unit. It should now be working.

Edit...Added pictures

Hi, recently My lab is doing the same thing on Gotek with Hxc firmware, so would you please reupload these pictures?

EduardGede

Post by EduardGede »

@echapman930

Hi,

Is this topic still alive ?

Pics can't be downloaded !

Does anyone have them !!!
Please upload ........

Friendly911

Post by Friendly911 »

Woo hoo, thanks to echapman, Jeff, and Lotharek, I got it installed and working.
Should be good into the future now and better opens up doors to modifying the system.