Sega System 24

Ordyne

Sega System 24

Post by Ordyne »

I see that Sega System 24 is supported HxC, can anyone tell me the preferred way to make image files from the disk that HxC would support?

Thanks!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Sega System 24

Post by Jeff »

Just convert S24 images files with the hxc software.

Ordyne

Post by Ordyne »

hi Jeff,

Are these files pulled from mame? I'm interested on how to read in my existing disks to the s24 format.

Ordyne

Post by Ordyne »

Hi Jeff,

We have a problem running Sega System24 with a Rev F unit, we have the .s24 file converted in the HxC software but the only way we can get the Sega System 24 to load from the Rev F HxC is to move dip 2 on while powered up (this works with dip 1 either on or off), as soon as we do that everything works fine until the HxC is power cycled.

Setting the dips in any other way results in Sega System 24 either just sitting and waiting to see the FDD or we get an error saying floppy drive not ready.

I know the HxC slim works with dips 1,2,3,4 all on for this system but we cannot get the Rev F to work on the same set up.

This is using an untwisted cable.

Do you have any suggestions?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ordyne wrote:Hi Jeff,

We have a problem running Sega System24 with a Rev F unit, we have the .s24 file converted in the HxC software but the only way we can get the Sega System 24 to load from the Rev F HxC is to move dip 2 on while powered up (this works with dip 1 either on or off), as soon as we do that everything works fine until the HxC is power cycled.

Setting the dips in any other way results in Sega System 24 either just sitting and waiting to see the FDD or we get an error saying floppy drive not ready.

I know the HxC slim works with dips 1,2,3,4 all on for this system but we cannot get the Rev F to work on the same set up.

This is using an untwisted cable.

Do you have any suggestions?
Not sure to well understand. you mean that if you keep the dip 2 ON all the the time this doesn't work ? right ?

Ordyne

Post by Ordyne »

Yes if the dip is left in one position it will not work. I have to move dip 2 while powered up then the Sega System 24 will access the HxC Ref F. As soon as the dip is moved it starts to load but before that it does nothing.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ordyne wrote:Yes if the dip is left in one position it will not work. I have to move dip 2 while powered up then the Sega System 24 will access the HxC Ref F. As soon as the dip is moved it starts to load but before that it does nothing.
ok interesting.
have you tried to eject and reinsert the sdcard ?

Ordyne

Post by Ordyne »

Yes, it acknowledges the card being removed / inserted but does not make any difference to the loading, same if you select a different image or have AUTOBOOT.HFE or STARTUPA.HFE.

Ordyne

Post by Ordyne »

I made this small video to show the problem.
If dip 2 isn't moved it will just sit on the loading screen with no activity showing on the HxC

Sitting on the loading screen would normally only happen with no floppy drive connected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7u3GC7-r5k

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ordyne wrote:I made this small video to show the problem.
If dip 2 isn't moved it will just sit on the loading screen with no activity showing on the HxC

Sitting on the loading screen would normally only happen with no floppy drive connected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7u3GC7-r5k
Set only the dip2 , remove the sd, power up the system , insert the sd. what happen?

Ordyne

Post by Ordyne »

If I do as you suggest the system 24 pcb tries to access the HxC when the card is inserted then reports disk drive not ready.

This would also happen if you did not plug the sd card in at all within a few seconds after power on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkaAdixKUg

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mhh you should try other interface mode : remove the sd, press select, interface cfg.
try Shugart, IBM PC HD, S950 HD...
you should also try the custom one with pin 02 & pin 34 set to low or high (4 possibilities).

Ordyne

Post by Ordyne »

Ok I can try this tomorrow, what would you suggest I have the dip switches set at while doing this?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ordyne wrote:Ok I can try this tomorrow, what would you suggest I have the dip switches set at while doing this?
to be sure set dip1,2,3,4 to ON.

Ordyne

Post by Ordyne »

Hi Jeff,

Ok we are working! The interface mode needs to be on custom pin34 high.. Dips will then work with either 2 on , 4 on or 1 to 4 on.