Sega System 24

aramis

Re: Sega System 24

Post by aramis »

I was finally able to get back to the game after all this time and the provided files worked perfectly. Thanks again!

Do you know if it's possible to use either the MAME .img or the provided .hfe file, along with a Kryoflux board, to create a working floppy disk for Hot Rod?

I have a kryoflux and a 3.5" HD drive that reports maxtrack=83.

Thanks for any assistance!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

aramis wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:54 am
I was finally able to get back to the game after all this time and the provided files worked perfectly. Thanks again!

Do you know if it's possible to use either the MAME .img or the provided .hfe file, along with a Kryoflux board, to create a working floppy disk for Hot Rod?

I have a kryoflux and a 3.5" HD drive that reports maxtrack=83.

Thanks for any assistance!
yes : convert the img/hfe to kf stream raw with the hxc software and use the kf tools to write back it to the disk.

Ordyne

Post by Ordyne »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:30 am
yes : convert the img/hfe to kf stream raw with the hxc software and use the kf tools to write back it to the disk.
Does this work with hotrod? I could never get KF to copy a hotrod disk.

aramis

Post by aramis »

Thanks for the replies...I was able to load the .hfe into the HxC software and export it as KF stream raw files, and DTC didn't complain about writing those files back to a floppy.

Hopefully I'll be able to try the disk in the game soon, and I'll make sure to report back if it worked or not. I'd like to give my friend the option of putting his game back to original hardware w/ the floppy if he ever wanted to do that for some reason...but it also gives me a chance to learn a bit more about using the HxC emulator and the KF as well.

Thanks again...

gamefixer

Post by gamefixer »

apologies for the thread resurrection.

I recently bought 2 Lotharek Rev F floppy emulators with the intention of using them on 2 Sega System 24 games.

One game is Gain Ground and the other is a 4 player Hot Rod.

I currently have the Gain Ground on my bench. Its floppy is still good but the drive is on its way out. It will eventually fail to a drive error during the day. I can test it with my one known good "test" drive and it works all day.

That said, I don't exactly understand the process of "converting" the MAME image file (.img) to the supported file (.hfe). If I try to load the .img file via the emulator configuration software (HxCFloppyEmulatorSoftware) I get an invalid file error. If I just change the file extension to .hfe and load that, the HxC config file, and the STARTUPA.hfe file onto the SD card I'll either get a file read error or drive not ready error on the game.

The thing that kills me is I've done this 2 times in the past and both of those games are still out and working. lol I cant remember what steps I took to do this right. The last one I did was over 3 years ago.

So if any of you have any suggestions for getting a Gain Ground working using the latest MAME disk image file I'm all ears. After I get this working I'm going to create a YouTube video explaining the process for when I need to do it again. :) Or if anyone else is looking.

Thanks all!

BTW, my HxC config file is identical to the one pictured in this thread.