Korg DSS1 with SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator

HxC Floppy Emulator Korg DSS1 support
UnseenKillah

Post by UnseenKillah »

Hi,

I recently purchased a SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator from lotharek on Ebay with the hope of using it to replace the floppy drive (although it is still working currently) on my Korg DSS1.

I tried it set up as i got it using the HXCSDFE.CFG file contained in the firmware update download, first I formatted the SD card FAT32 and put the HXCSDFE.CFG file onto the card, then I converted DSS1 *.DSK images downloaded from the web to the .hfe format and put them onto the SD card aswell.

When powered up the unit appeared to be working correctly, I chose the drive and selected an image but when i tried to load it from the DSS1 the floppy read LED lit up on the emulator but the DSS1 just said 'Set disk or cancel', I tried the jumper in different positions but with the same result.

Does anyone have any advice for this, perhaps the config file or jumper setting? or what data the LED display should show if it is working correctly?

Many thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Korg DSS1 with SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator

Post by Jeff »

Hi,

Can you give some link of these file images ?

The middle led should be on when the korg try to access the emulator.

How react this led ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok there are probably a problem with the target machine type in the hfe file.

So try this:

Before converting images files :

-> Menu Drive -> Settings
-> disable "Auto"
-> Choose "Amstrad CPC" (this one use the same Floppy disk interface)
-> Ok

After this you can convert your files images to hfe.

UnseenKillah

Post by UnseenKillah »

Jeff,

You are a genius! it works like a charm

Korg DSS1 owners take note

Thanks again :D

Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

I just got one of the black sdcard hxc emulators and can't get it to load in my dss1. I formatted the sd disk in FAT32 loaded the hxcsdfe.cfg file also did the update file v1.1.3.0, set the setting for Amstrad cpc drive select 0, coverted my copyQM files to hfe files. I put the jumpers in every postion and the floppy yellow LED lights and the sdcard red LED lights when I select a hfe file but the dss1 just locks in F1 Loading.... untill I cycle the power on the korg. My dss1 works fine with the floppy but can't seem to read the data from the emulator, so what can I be doing wrong?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mike57 wrote:I just got one of the black sdcard hxc emulators and can't get it to load in my dss1. I formatted the sd disk in FAT32 loaded the hxcsdfe.cfg file also did the update file v1.1.3.0, set the setting for Amstrad cpc drive select 0, coverted my copyQM files to hfe files. I put the jumpers in every postion and the floppy yellow LED lights and the sdcard red LED lights when I select a hfe file but the dss1 just locks in F1 Loading.... untill I cycle the power on the korg. My dss1 works fine with the floppy but can't seem to read the data from the emulator, so what can I be doing wrong?
So in every jumper position the middle led (floppy access led) is on ?
If yes floppy cable is probably reversed.

Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

Jeff, you were absalutly correct. After reading your post. I went to the floppy interface connection note's 2 & 3 in the user manual and their it is, now the emulator is working. So if your using a Korg DSS1 the cable is inverted and the red wire will be on the left on the floppy connector. Thanks Jeff....................!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mike57 wrote:Jeff, you were absalutly correct. After reading your post. I went to the floppy interface connection note's 2 & 3 in the user manual and their it is, now the emulator is working. So if your using a Korg DSS1 the cable is inverted and the red wire will be on the left on the floppy connector. Thanks Jeff....................!
ok good :)

related-methods

Post by related-methods »

hey there

I got a SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator from lotharek a couple days ago: I formatted the SD card FAT32 and put the HXCSDFE.CFG file and the HXCFE.upd file on the card. I changed the HxCFloppy Emulator program settings on Amstrad CPC. So everything in the emulator seems to work fine but the time I let the dss1 try to access the emulator the floppy access led is on and the "drive not ready" error appears on the dss1's screen. switching the floppy wire vice versa is not possible cause I got a twisted one. so that seems to be right as well.

anyone any ideas? :cry:

many thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

related-methods wrote:hey there

I got a SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator from lotharek a couple days ago: I formatted the SD card FAT32 and put the HXCSDFE.CFG file and the HXCFE.upd file on the card. I changed the HxCFloppy Emulator program settings on Amstrad CPC. So everything in the emulator seems to work fine but the time I let the dss1 try to access the emulator the floppy access led is on and the "drive not ready" error appears on the dss1's screen. switching the floppy wire vice versa is not possible cause I got a twisted one. so that seems to be right as well.

anyone any ideas? :cry:

many thanks
Emulator switch setting ?

coyote_de

Post by coyote_de »

I have a Korg DSS1 - but I've not used it a few years now. My old Sound-disks aren't working any more - I don't know if only the disks are defective or if there's a problem with the drive-alignment.

I'm currently thinking about an HxC SD-Card or USB-Floppy Emulator... but has the sounds to be transfered on the flash storage? Do the disk images has to be converted?
The disk images on Glen Stegners page are in a format which only can be written by a tool named "CopyQM" onto real disks ('rawwrite' doesn't seem to work).

Thanks in advance.

Dieter

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

coyote_de wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:09 am
I have a Korg DSS1 - but I've not used it a few years now. My old Sound-disks aren't working any more - I don't know if only the disks are defective or if there's a problem with the drive-alignment.

I'm currently thinking about an HxC SD-Card or USB-Floppy Emulator... but has the sounds to be transfered on the flash storage? Do the disk images has to be converted?
The disk images on Glen Stegners page are in a format which only can be written by a tool named "CopyQM" onto real disks ('rawwrite' doesn't seem to work).

Thanks in advance.

Dieter
CopyQM file images are directly supported by the HxC software.

bloke_zero

Post by bloke_zero »

Jeff wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 pm
Ok there are probably a problem with the target machine type in the hfe file.

So try this:

Before converting images files :

-> Menu Drive -> Settings
-> disable "Auto"
-> Choose "Amstrad CPC" (this one use the same Floppy disk interface)
-> Ok

After this you can convert your files images to hfe.
Yep this was the special sauce for me.
I can now import a raw image using the preconfigured DSS1 format on that screen and then export successfully to .hfe that are read on the SD card on the DSS1 - thanks!