HXC Software no longer converting DSS1 disks

HxC Floppy Emulator Korg DSS1 support
xanderbeanz

HXC Software no longer converting DSS1 disks

Post by xanderbeanz »

Hi,

A few days ago I downloaded the HXC software and batch converted a load of DSS1 DSK images.

It worked fine, I’ve been using them and loving every second.

However I tried to convert another DSK image tonight, and downloaded HXC again (I’d not installed it, and ran it from a zip archive previously) and instead of getting a file 1,900-ish KB, It’s spitting out a BIGGER file that’s 2,100ish KB, and the new file has 84 tracks instead of 80.

My DSS can’t read this larger 84 track file, and says UNFORMATTED when I try to load anything.

Has HXC been updated to be broken in the past week? Please could you point me in the right to direction and help me write a 1,900KB 80 Track HFE file. This is driving me crazy. Thanks.

xanderbeanz

Re: HXC Software no longer converting DSS1 disks

Post by xanderbeanz »

Ok. Downloaded a version of HXC from 2013 and it seems to be working now. Phew!

I guess DSS1 80 track disk support is broken in the new version...perhaps the problem is that you’ve updated the Amstrad CPC version on the drop down settings to have 84 tracks???

And us DSS1 owners need just 80 tracks, so perhaps we need a specific option in the drop-down.

Thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

xanderbeanz wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:53 am
Ok. Downloaded a version of HXC from 2013 and it seems to be working now. Phew!

I guess DSS1 80 track disk support is broken in the new version...perhaps the problem is that you’ve updated the Amstrad CPC version on the drop down settings to have 84 tracks???

And us DSS1 owners need just 80 tracks, so perhaps we need a specific option in the drop-down.

Thanks.
This is issue is not related to the numbers of tracks (the machine doesn't care of this). Which files have you converted ?

xanderbeanz

Post by xanderbeanz »

It was the DSS Copy QM Library from Glenn Stegner’s site.

The 2013 version of HXC converted them to 80 track HFE files, 1.9MB in size. The DSS1 likes these.

The latest version of HXC makes 84 track HFE files, 2.1MB in size. The DSS1 simply says “UNFORMATTED” when I try to load these images. So it looks like it does indeed matter how many tracks the disks have.

I used the same settings on both versions of HXC, ie Amstrad CPC, and tried the single and batch file conversions.

Anyhow, at least the 2013 version works, I’ll just use that if I need to convert any more disks. I shouldn’t really need to though as I’ve done the ones I wanted now and will just copy other images, rename and format if I need new blanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I am sorry to insist, but there is no point with the number of tracks... The new software probably just doesn't identify the DSS1 images correctly, that's all.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The DSS1 loader is definitively broken since the last release in December. (It crash the software...). I fixed it and compared the output versus the last 2013 release and the files are identical.