How to use the Track Analyzer?

HxC Floppy Emulator on PC88 / PC98 and compatible support
Gothmogoth

How to use the Track Analyzer?

Post by Gothmogoth »

Is there a documentation somewhere about how to use the Edit Tools of the Track Analyzer? I really can't figure how it works.

I have dumped some PC98 disk images with a Kryoflux, both 5.25" and 3.5". The 5.25" images open fine in the Track Analyzer and MFM encoding is detected, but the MFM format is not detected for the 3.5" disk images.
I suspected this was caused by the speed of the floppy drives where I dumped the disk (360rpm for 5.25", 300rpm for 3.5") while original PC98 drives both use 360rpm. But I could not find a way to fix this in HxC.

I found the tool pfi.exe in the PCE tools at http://www.hampa.ch/pub/pce/pre/pce-20201020-85c21aca/
and was able to fix the raw 3.5" image files with this command line:

Code: Select all

pfi.exe source00.0.raw -p scale 0.8333 dest00.0.raw
where 0.8333 = 300 / 360
After this change, the tracks open fine in the Track Analyzer and MFM is detected.

Is there a way I can fix such images directly in HxC? Should it automatically detect the drive speed and adjust in case this is a bug? Or is there a way for me to fix the speed inside HxC? I tried to change the rpm in the Edit tools without success.

Note: I have tested using version 2.5.5.1

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: How to use the Track Analyzer?

Post by Jeff »

There is an explanation in the config file to handle these cases :

https://sourceforge.net/p/hxcfloppyemu/ ... nit.script

(see FLUXSTREAM_RPMFIX)

you can place a config file in the dump folder. (see the above config file)

Gothmogoth

Post by Gothmogoth »

Thank you, I was not aware of these configuration scripts. I was able to load my images fine.

jmp49152

Post by jmp49152 »

Thank you so much for this thread. I just got my PC-9801 to boot a dump taken using greaseweasel using the PCE tools under linux for speed correction as you mention!