2.8" QD Disk Emulation

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: 2.8" QD Disk Emulation

Post by Jeff »

hedehede81 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:25 am
Hello, format did not complete succesfully, (bad or unformatted disk error)
Yes this was expected.
hedehede81 wrote:
I'm attaching the before and after format images, right under the photo. About the the standard sector length, I had a look at the motherboard while verifying the pinout, the FDC is a standard VL1772-02 and the same model word processors were fitted with 720kb 3.5" FDDs later years. So maybe it is about that.
Definitively ! :)
hedehede81 wrote:
It says 112kb for the disks. And lastly, I'm on the Roland version of the Quickdisk firmware, just tell me if I need to switch to regular Quickdisk.
Roland firmware seems ok to me.

This is time this is better : the track is now complete ! :)

Still the write sector issue. I have manually fixed the formatted image in the attached DSKA0000_ToRead.QD.
Can you just try to read it (without writing anything) ? (Think to remove the old DSKA0000.QD from the stick before the read attempt).

Then update to the new attached firmware (HxCUSBFE.UPD).
After the update try again to read DSKA0000_ToRead.QD and then try to format DSKA0001_ToFormat.QD. Share again the formatted file here.

Firmware update procedure :

Code: Select all

To update the firmware on your device with a FAT32/FAT16/FAT12 USB flash stick/key:

-> Remove any older *.upd file from the stick (if present).
-> Copy the attached new firmware file (*.upd) to the stick/key.
-> Insert the USB stick/key into the emulator and press both buttons.
-> Power up the device and keep the buttons pressed during at least 2 seconds.
-> Wait some seconds... its done !
test.zip
(63.74 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

hedehede81

Post by hedehede81 »

Jeff wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:15 am
hedehede81 wrote:
Hello, format did not complete succesfully, (bad or unformatted disk error)
Yes this was expected.
hedehede81 wrote:
I'm attaching the before and after format images, right under the photo. About the the standard sector length, I had a look at the motherboard while verifying the pinout, the FDC is a standard VL1772-02 and the same model word processors were fitted with 720kb 3.5" FDDs later years. So maybe it is about that.
Definitively ! :)
hedehede81 wrote:
It says 112kb for the disks. And lastly, I'm on the Roland version of the Quickdisk firmware, just tell me if I need to switch to regular Quickdisk.
Roland firmware seems ok to me.

This is time this is better : the track is now complete ! :)

Still the write sector issue. I have manually fixed the formatted image in the attached DSKA0000_ToRead.QD.
Can you just try to read it (without writing anything) ? (Think to remove the old DSKA0000.QD from the stick before the read attempt).

Then update to the new attached firmware (HxCUSBFE.UPD).
After the update try again to read DSKA0000_ToRead.QD and then try to format DSKA0001_ToFormat.QD. Share again the formatted file here.

Firmware update procedure :

Code: Select all

To update the firmware on your device with a FAT32/FAT16/FAT12 USB flash stick/key:

-> Remove any older *.upd file from the stick (if present).
-> Copy the attached new firmware file (*.upd) to the stick/key.
-> Insert the USB stick/key into the emulator and press both buttons.
-> Power up the device and keep the buttons pressed during at least 2 seconds.
-> Wait some seconds... its done !
test.zip
looks like you nailed it!! first:
1- Before firmware update, I tried to read toread image, it says disk is empty.
2- Then just for test I tried to save a file to this image, it looks like it saved but upon load, it gives bad or unformatted disk error.
3- So I update the firmware and format the toformat image, format completes successully. (image attached in "after format" folder) If I try to read disk it says disk is empty.
4- I try to save a file to this image, it is successfully saved and I can load back the file! (this image is attached in "after format-file save test" folder)

Now, are any more fine tunings needed for the firmware or image file? Many thanks for all your work.
Attachments
Desktop.zip
(2.89 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

hedehede81 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:36 am
2- Then just for test I tried to save a file to this image, it looks like it saved but upon load, it gives bad or unformatted disk error.
3- So I update the firmware and format the toformat image, format completes successully. (image attached in "after format" folder) If I try to read disk it says disk is empty.
4- I try to save a file to this image, it is successfully saved and I can load back the file! (this image is attached in "after format-file save test" folder)

Now, are any more fine tunings needed for the firmware or image file? Many thanks for all your work.
Nice ! :D

Now the sector write placement error is small enough and doesn't produce any side effect anymore. As workaround I have just divided the read dma page size by 4, this reduce the error offset by 4 too... So : You can use the firmware and the QD image as they are. I will try to fix/reduce this offset error later but anyway you shouldn't have any problem with the current firmware with this workaround enabled.

By curiosity what was the motivation to replace the QD drive on this typewriter ? Is it a machine that you still use ?

hedehede81

Post by hedehede81 »

Jeff wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:38 pm
hedehede81 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:36 am

Nice ! :D

Now the sector write placement error is small enough and doesn't produce any side effect anymore. As workaround I have just divided the read dma page size by 4, this reduce the error offset by 4 too... So : You can use the firmware and the QD image as they are. I will try to fix/reduce this offset error later but anyway you shouldn't have any problem with the current firmware with this workaround enabled.

By curiosity what was the motivation to replace the QD drive on this typewriter ? Is it a machine that you still use ?
I collect and use electronic typewriters and I generally like to use them with their original floppies. However, finding physical quick disks and maintaining them are a real nightmare. So I switched this one to Gotek thanks to you. I was wondering something, is it possible for me to retrieve the files saved in the image back on the PC. I have done similar coding for my other electronic typewriters to convert file images to files, just some quick tips would be enough hopefully.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

hedehede81 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:37 pm
I was wondering something, is it possible for me to retrieve the files saved in the image back on the PC. I have done similar coding for my other electronic typewriters to convert file images to files, just some quick tips would be enough hopefully.
Yes it is possible. I made a small tool to convert .QD files to .wav from Akai & Roland QD disks :

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_QuickDisk_Toolkit

But since this machine use standard sectors, i will probably add the QD loader to the HxC software. This way you can convert MFM encoded QD file to a RAW data sectors file. All the necessary stuffs (sector decoding and checking, etc) are already there :

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hxcfloppyemu/

hedehede81

Post by hedehede81 »

Jeff wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:58 pm
hedehede81 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:37 pm
I was wondering something, is it possible for me to retrieve the files saved in the image back on the PC. I have done similar coding for my other electronic typewriters to convert file images to files, just some quick tips would be enough hopefully.
Yes it is possible. I made a small tool to convert .QD files to .wav from Akai & Roland QD disks :

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_QuickDisk_Toolkit

But since this machine use standard sectors, i will probably add the QD loader to the HxC software. This way you can convert MFM encoded QD file to a RAW data sectors file. All the necessary stuffs (sector decoding and checking, etc) are already there :

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hxcfloppyemu/
it looks a bit complicated for a hobby programmer like me :) I hope you can find some time in future to add support to it in the HxC Software later.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

hedehede81 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:00 pm
it looks a bit complicated for a hobby programmer like me :) I hope you can find some time in future to add support to it in the HxC Software later.
I did it quickly this morning :
qd_file_loader.png
qd_file_loader.png (79.45 KiB) Viewed 15153 times
I can see your "hello world" message ;)

And the export to a raw/img file works "out-the-box" :
DSKA0001_ToFormat_QD.img.zip
(407 Bytes) Downloaded 362 times
EDIT :
If you want to try it, replace the hxc tool dll with this one :
http://hxc2001.free.fr/vrac/libhxcfe.dll.zip

:D

hedehede81

Post by hedehede81 »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:39 am
hedehede81 wrote:

qd_file_loader.png

EDIT :

I didn't expect it this fast, you are the best, I will try it first thing in the morning, many thanks :)

hedehede81

Post by hedehede81 »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:39 am
hedehede81 wrote:

qd_file_loader.png

EDIT :

it works beautifully :) I converted the .QD file to raw .img file and I was able to read it in HEX editor. Is it possible to convert the img file back to .QD file? This way I will be able to sometimes type on my computer and continue back on the word processor.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

hedehede81 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:06 am
it works beautifully :) I converted the .QD file to raw .img file and I was able to read it in HEX editor. Is it possible to convert the img file back to .QD file? This way I will be able to sometimes type on my computer and continue back on the word processor.
i am finishing the export support ;).

hedehede81

Post by hedehede81 »

Jeff wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:43 pm
hedehede81 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:06 am
best Christmas present this year :D

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

hedehede81 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 am
Jeff wrote:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (152.58 KiB) Viewed 14895 times
Done :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... t_beta.zip

Use the load raw feature and choose the predefined layout matching with the typewriter (the last one in the huge list ;) )
After this, just export to a QD file.

hedehede81

Post by hedehede81 »

Jeff wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am
hedehede81 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 am
Jeff wrote:
Untitled.jpg

Done :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... t_beta.zip

Use the load raw feature and choose the predefined layout matching with the typewriter (the last one in the huge list ;) )
After this, just export to a QD file.
Wow, it works really well, thank you very much!!!

First message, I thought there was a problem but it was my mistake, please ignore it.

1- I tried to open the QD file created on the typewriter with load function, it works.
2- I export it to raw img, then edit the contents in HEX editor.
3- I load raw img back in load raw function by selecting the Olivetti template, it works.
4- I export to QD file and try on the typewriter, it works!!

junkmale

Post by junkmale »

Hi Guys,

I tried various ways for my Gotek drive on my S10 to read and write to USB flash but it always comes up as write protected. I successfully installed the above and tried various jumper settings etc (thank you Jean-Francois!) but still it's not working. The read is working perfectly.
Can someone who has the write working on an S10 help me? I don't have too much experience in that regard tbh.
Many thanks!

namesinmarble

Post by namesinmarble »

I've just fitted a Gotek drive flashed with HxC firmware to my Roland S-10. I have loaded some samples onto the machine using the Roland S-10 Manager software, but when I save them I get a verify error. On trying to reload them I get "I/O Error 2". Is anyone else having this problem? I'm using firmware HxCFEUSB_V3_5_2_5a_Roland_QuickDisk.UPD and the DSKA0001_Roland.QD disk image.