2.8" QD Disk Emulation

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: 2.8" QD Disk Emulation

Post by Jeff »

luovuus wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:43 am
Ok, doublechecked the connections and they match the 12-pin pinout. As for pin 28/5 (WP) it seems pin28 is high which causes error 2 (disk write protected) when trying to save on the Korg.
This sound not good at all : This means that the logic polarity of the WP pin is inverted... Can you check the default state of all others signal with the quickdisk drive connected ?

EDIT : No, the polarity appears to be ok - But why the signal is high ? Have you selected an QD file image ?

Trackdriver

Post by Trackdriver »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 am
Trackdriver wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 am
Is this close to a release? :)
I am not sure to understand the question, but anyway the QuickDisk HxC firmware was released in August this year :wink:.

More details there : https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... kdisk.html

This is mostly used by Akai S612/S700/X7000 and Roland S10/S220 users.
I was thinking about a kit version with all needed cables included but it seems I have to source them myself right? Anyway, I will do this if it’s the only option😊

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

you just need some jumper wires. :wink:

luovuus

Post by luovuus »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:22 am
luovuus wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:43 am
Ok, doublechecked the connections and they match the 12-pin pinout. As for pin 28/5 (WP) it seems pin28 is high which causes error 2 (disk write protected) when trying to save on the Korg.
This sound not good at all : This means that the logic polarity of the WP pin is inverted... Can you check the default state of all others signal with the quickdisk drive connected ?

EDIT : No, the polarity appears to be ok - But why the signal is high ? Have you selected an QD file image ?
Doesn't it select the image automatically after a couple of seconds? It at least looks like it on the screen: DSKA0000.QD, T:000/001 S:0
Did some logic probing:
Inactive statuses at the gotek connector: 34:1, 30:0, 28:1, 24:1, 22:1, 20:1, 16:1, 10:0, 2:0
When saving: 22: 1--0--1, 30:0/1 blinking, 16:1--0--short 0/1 blinking--1
When loading: 30: 0/1 blinking, 16:1--0--1

I don't have a logic analyser but can do more probing if needed.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The image is selected.

All is fine but the write protect signal. The emulator is maybe in read-only mode :

- Please check that your QD file is not in read-only on the stick from some reason.
- Please press the right button at power up : This will ignore the internal settings and use the defaults settings (Maybe the emulator was turned in read only mode by accident with the internal menu).

BTW do you see "WA" instead "RA" on the screen when you try to write to the QD image with the write protect signal strapped ?

luovuus

Post by luovuus »

Jeff wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 pm
The image is selected.

All is fine but the write protect signal. The emulator is maybe in read-only mode :

- Please check that your QD file is not in read-only on the stick from some reason.
- Please press the right button at power up : This will ignore the internal settings and use the defaults settings (Maybe the emulator was turned in read only mode by accident with the internal menu).

BTW do you see "WA" instead "RA" on the screen when you try to write to the QD image with the write protect signal strapped ?
Nope, the Korg directly gives Error 2 without even accessing the drive. I also checked the disk images + tried with another brand of usb stick.
Btw, I only can see RD on the screen even if I try to read or write. The device itself can't actually format a drive.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

luovuus wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:11 pm
Nope, the Korg directly gives Error 2 without even accessing the drive. I also checked the disk images + tried with another brand of usb stick.
Btw, I only can see RD on the screen even if I try to read or write. The device itself can't actually format a drive.
even when you are strapping the WP signal to the GND ?

luovuus

Post by luovuus »

Jeff wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:14 pm
luovuus wrote:
When I strap WP to ground it shows RD for a while and then it(Korg) shows an error.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

luovuus wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:35 pm
Jeff wrote:
luovuus wrote:
When I strap WP to ground it shows RD for a while and then it(Korg) shows an error.
Ok then i think that the gotek is in read only mode. Please check the points of my above post.

luovuus

Post by luovuus »

Jeff wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:02 pm
luovuus wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Ok then i think that the gotek is in read only mode. Please check the points of my above post.
Tested with another drive I have working in another machine (Atari st) and with that one with the QD firmware WP pin works as it should but still no r/w success.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

luovuus wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:03 am
Jeff wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:02 pm
luovuus wrote:

Tested with another drive I have working in another machine (Atari st) and with that one with the QD firmware WP pin works as it should but still no r/w success.
Send me the QD modified QD file to hxc2001 at hxc2001.com

(BTW for your tests use the "Roland" QD firmware variant)

For the gotek with the WP issue, you should test the floppy pins i/o with the "Diagnostic_Firmware" :

Have a look to the firmware archive :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

in "Diagnostic_Firmware".

Code: Select all

-----------H----H--X----X-----CCCCC-----22222----0000-----0000-----11----------
----------H----H----X-X-----C--------------2---0----0---0----0---1-1-----------
---------HHHHHH-----X------C----------22222---0----0---0----0-----1------------
--------H----H----X--X----C----------2-------0----0---0----0-----1-------------
-------H----H---X-----X---CCCCC-----22222----0000-----0000----11111------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Contact: hxc2001<at>hxc2001.com --------------------- https://hxc2001.com --
HxC Floppy Emulator project
(c) 2006-2019 Jean-François DEL NERO / (c) HxC2001
Forum    : http://torlus.com/floppy/forum
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/hxc2001
Store    : https://hxc2001.com/store/

- Gotek I/O Lines Diagnostic/Test firmware

Since this hardware is quite sensitive to ESD and other electrical issues, the floppy lines can be easily damaged.

This firmware allows you to test/check all Gotek's Input/Output lines with a simple wire.
	The test must be run with floppy ribbon disconnected from the machine.
	Once enabled/flashed with the diagnostic firmware, all outputs will toggle every 2 seconds.
	All inputs states are displayed on the screen.

-> Input lines test method :

The default input states should be High (1), so to test an input line you have just to connect it
	to the ground/vss. On the floppy port you just need a jumper to make a contact between the line and the ground.
	Once the jumper is placed between the line pin and the ground/vss pin the corresping input state should turn to Low (0).

-> Output lines test method :

All outputs are toggling every 2 seconds during the test.
	(Note : A 1 ms pulse is sent to the JB output at each toggle to test the buzzer ouput)

Connect the output line to test to one input line (use a tested input by the above method) with a simple wire.
	If the corresponding input status is toggling with the outputs line, then this means that the output line/driver is working properly.

-> LCD / OLED / 7 segments screens output/input status definition :

LCD/OLED input lines status format : "IN:123456 789AB"

1 or Digit-1-segment-a : Floppy Drive Select line (Pin 10 or 12 or 16 -> Depend on the S0/S1/MO jumper !).
	2 or Digit-1-segment-b : Floppy -Direction In (Pin 18)
	3 or Digit-1-segment-c : Floppy -Step (Pin 20)
	4 or Digit-1-segment-d : Floppy -Write Data (Pin 22)
	5 or Digit-1-segment-e : Floppy -Write Enable (Pin 24)
	6 or Digit-1-segment-f : Floppy -Head 1 Select (Pin 32)

7 or Digit-1-segment-g : Down push button (left)
	8 or Digit-2-segment-a : Up push button (right)
	9 or Digit-2-segment-b : Select push button (JA)
	A or Digit-2-segment-c : Rotary CK (J7-2)
	B or Digit-2-segment-d : Rotary DIR (J7-1)

7 Segments Digit-3 : 'h' when the outputs are high and 'L' the outputs are low.
	7 Segments Digit-2-segments e,f & g : ON when the outputs are high and OFF the outputs are low.

-> Floppy connector pinout :

Pin Signal     Pin  Signal
	01  Ground  (O)02  -High Density Select
	03  Ground     04   Reserved
	05  Ground     06   Reserved
	07  Ground  (O)08  -Index
	09  Ground  (I)10  -Drive Select 0 (*)
	11  Ground  (I)12  -Drive Select 1 (*)
	13  Ground     14   Reserved
	15  Ground  (I)16  -Motor Enable (*)
	17  Ground  (I)18  -Direction In
	19  Ground  (I)20  -Step
	21  Ground  (I)22  -Write Data
	23  Ground  (I)24  -Write Enable
	25  Ground  (O)26  -Track 0
	27  Ground  (O)28  -Write Protect
	29  Ground  (O)30  -Read Data
	31  Ground  (I)32  -Head 1 Select
	33  Ground  (O)34  -Diskette Change/Ready

(*)Depend on the S0/S1/MO jumper!

-> 7 segments screen segments definition :

//   a
	// f   b
	//   g
	// e   c
	//   d

hedehede81

Post by hedehede81 »

Hello,

I have an Olivetti TOP 100 typewriter (Also known as Triumph-Adler Gabriele PFS). This unit has a Mitsumi Floppy Drive with 12 pin connector. I verified the 12 pin Roland pinout and it is same. I flashed quick disk firmware and prepared the 12 pin connector. When I try to read a blank image, the typewriter complains the disk is either bad or unformatted. When I try to format it tried a while and saying saying bad or unformatted disk again. The unit is almost working, the access LED on the Gotek works. Maybe the writing is failing or the image file needs to change? How can I diagnose this? Just like the above poster, I see RD on the OLED screen, but when formatting it quickly switches between RD and WD. I am attaching the blank and Roland images before and after format operation, there are differences, so the unit is doing something?
Attachments
Desktop.zip
(53.46 KiB) Downloaded 439 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

hedehede81 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:20 pm
Hello,

I have an Olivetti TOP 100 typewriter (Also known as Triumph-Adler Gabriele PFS). This unit has a Mitsumi Floppy Drive with 12 pin connector. I verified the 12 pin Roland pinout and it is same. I flashed quick disk firmware and prepared the 12 pin connector. When I try to read a blank image, the typewriter complains the disk is either bad or unformatted. When I try to format it tried a while and saying saying bad or unformatted disk again. The unit is almost working, the access LED on the Gotek works. Maybe the writing is failing or the image file needs to change? How can I diagnose this? Just like the above poster, I see RD on the OLED screen, but when formatting it quickly switches between RD and WD. I am attaching the blank and Roland images before and after format operation, there are differences, so the unit is doing something?
Yes i can see the sectors on both images, so this "almost" work. The write appears to be incomplete. You probably need a QD image with a longer track, i will provide you something to test.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

hedehede81 wrote:
Hello,

I finally found 2 issues :

- The QD track lenght is probably too short. The attached QD file should fix this point. Please format it and share it.
- The sector write is a little bit shifted on the track. This is only some bytes, but this is enough to corrupt the sector : I will have to provide you a firmware fix for this.

Interesting point about this machine : The sectors use the very standard MFM DD sector format (the same used on normal floppy disks!). All sectors are 1024 Bytes long. (i wait your new formatted image to tell you the exact sector count).
DSKA0000.zip
(414 Bytes) Downloaded 374 times

hedehede81

Post by hedehede81 »

Jeff wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:41 pm
hedehede81 wrote:
Hello,

I finally found 2 issues :

- The QD track lenght is probably too short. The attached QD file should fix this point. Please format it and share it.
- The sector write is a little bit shifted on the track. This is only some bytes, but this is enough to corrupt the sector : I will have to provide you a firmware fix for this.

Interesting point about this machine : The sectors use the very standard MFM DD sector format (the same used on normal floppy disks!). All sectors are 1024 Bytes long. (i wait your new formatted image to tell you the exact sector count).

DSKA0000.zip
Hello, format did not complete succesfully, (bad or unformatted disk error) I'm attaching the before and after format images, right under the photo. About the the standard sector length, I had a look at the motherboard while verifying the pinout, the FDC is a standard VL1772-02 and the same model word processors were fitted with 720kb 3.5" FDDs later years. So maybe it is about that. I'm also attaching a tech spec for this unit, maybe it helps? It says 112kb for the disks. And lastly, I'm on the Roland version of the Quickdisk firmware, just tell me if I need to switch to regular Quickdisk.
Attachments
Schreibmaschine-Triumph-Adler-Gabriele-PFS-1090-mit-OVP-_57-01.jpg
Schreibmaschine-Triumph-Adler-Gabriele-PFS-1090-mit-OVP-_57-01.jpg (122.22 KiB) Viewed 16874 times
Desktop.zip
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 347 times