No display problem on Lothatek HXC Rev F

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
rlauzon

No display problem on Lothatek HXC Rev F

Post by rlauzon »

My HXC Rev F arrived today from Lotharek. So I'm trying to get it installed in my Kaypro 1.

I think I've done everything that I'm supposed to:
1. Formatted the SD card FAT32.
2. Created a HXCSDFE.CFG using the software that I downloaded (pretty simple because I'm only emulating 1 drive right now and it's a Shugart interface).
3. I copied known good HFE files (I use these files in my Kaypro 4/83 with OpenFlops).

When the HXC powers on, the display only shows a screen of "squares" and nothing else.
When I press a button on the HXC, the indicator light flashes.
If I try to access it from the Kaypro, the drive activity light on the HXC goes on, but the Kaypro doesn't get anything.
After a few moments of non-use, the HXC screen backlight goes off.

I've connected only power and nothing changes.

The only strangeness that I saw was that the power cable from the Kaypro seems to be "backwards" (the 5V was on the NC pin and vice versa) and the HXC wouldn't power on. When I swapped the lines, the HXC powers on, but the screen only displays the "squares".

Any ideas?

rlauzon

Re: No display problem on Lothatek HXC Rev F

Post by rlauzon »

Mystery solved.

I checked the voltage of the power cable (something that I should have done before I did anything).

The 5V line is only supplying 4V. The other line is supplying 10V. Hopefully I didn't mess up my HXCs - because I did connect them to the 10V for a bit.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: No display problem on Lothatek HXC Rev F

Post by Jeff »

rlauzon wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:01 pm
Hopefully I didn't mess up my HXCs - because I did connect them to the 10V for a bit.
The HxC is protected by a polyswitch (a resettable fuse) and a transil. this protect the emulator against such mistake.