Navigating through the HxC menues

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
schmitzi

Navigating through the HxC menues

Post by schmitzi »

Hi,

I have problems with surfing/navigating through the HFE-files on my EmuDrives (Rev.F FW v1.8.2.40)

To get it easy, I prefer numeric naming of subdirectories (and not alphabetic) on my SD-Cards
For instance, I use this structure:

ROOT:
..\HXCSDFE.CFG (only)
FOLDERS/DIRECTORIES:
\01-MS-DOS
\02-MDOS
\03-TOOLS
\52-MUSIC
\99-MISC

FIRST problem now is, when I want to change the actual HFE-file, mostly to another file in the same subdirectory,
and when I release the file by pressing the midlle button ( >Select< ), the selction on display jumps to "..",
what means "one folder up" (when pressing Select again). As I almost want to stay in the same subdirectory,
I always try to press >left< or >right< button, to stay in and select another file in that same subdirectory.
But this does not work, no reaction on <left> or <right> button press.
So my only option is to press <Select> a 2nd time, to get one subdirectory UP, and to re-enter my folder again.
And in addition to this, i.e. the file that I initially was coming from was "\52-MUSIC\Songs046.HFE" (the 46th file here),
and the fie that I wanted to switch to was "\52-MUSIC\Songs047.HFE",
then I have to navigate/klick about 47 steps again to reach the "47", what was just the neighbour before...
Any idea on that issue ? Am I doing something wrong ?

SECOND probem is, if I then get up this one ".." in the directory structure as mentioned above,
my landing directory there (beeing in the root) is the "System Volume information" directory in 90% of my tries.
This, or sometimes one of the latter directories on the SD-card, like the somewhat \98-XYZ or \99-MISC.
So, if I i.e. came up from the \55-MUSIC subdir (unwantedly, as described before), to reach this directory again,
I have to navigate from \98... (or "SysVolInfo") up to the \52-MUSIC directoy, what is a lot of work for just
a filechange between the "neighbours" "\52-MUSIC\Songs046.HFE" and "\52-MUSIC\Songs047.HFE".
This, and this small buttons, and the small display, and standing and reading sideways,
often tends me to use and swap my real floppy disks if I know that I often have to swap disks.

All this happens on all 3 drives that I have, means hardware shoud be OK. It´s a brain issue ;)
Maybe any idea how to handle better/faster ?

thx

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Navigating through the HxC menues

Post by Jeff »

Have you noticed the firmware updates ? :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... _notes.txt

I recommend you to update to the latest firmware (v1.8.7.1) and let me know if you still have the issue.

Anyway even with the older firmwares the next/previous buttons should load the next or previous image... Unless you are testing this right after the sdcard insertion or machine power up ? Not sure if this is a firmware issue or a sd card file system issue ( or both ;) )

Anyway try to update to the v1.8.7.1 and remove the config file.

EDIT : If ok you, before any update attempt, you can image the whole SDCard with rufus or dd or any others similar tool, zip the sd image and send it to my ftp (contact me to hxc2001 at hxc2001 dot com, i will send you the server login/password). This way i will have your exact setup and be able to reproduce the issue (and fix it).

schmitzi

Post by schmitzi »

Hi Jeff,

thanks for the answer.
No, I looked around for it just before I wrote, but i did not see any firmware update.
Maybe you have newer updates than Lotharek has on his site ? Or maybe I am blind :mrgreen:
I will install the update next days and let you know here.
What I see from what you wrote, maybe I do not need to "reject" the image (what leads me to the ".."),
but directly press <Right> or <Left> while the previos image/HFE is still mounted, to instant get to the next (in that subdir) ?
I will try that, too.

xXx

schmitzi

Post by schmitzi »

PS: There is only the same version inside the new ZIP file from your link here above, the v1_8_2_40 that I already use... ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

schmitzi wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:41 pm
PS: There is only the same version inside the new ZIP file from your link here above, the v1_8_2_40 that I already use... ?
In the "Beta" folder in the zip.

(think to make an image of the sdcard, i will need it for any fix/improvement)

schmitzi

Post by schmitzi »

[quote=Jeff post_id=23537 time=1614683002 user_id=3]
[quote=schmitzi post_id=23535 time=1614634912 user_id=2558]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah OK, my fault. I never use betas, so I did not look there :)

Hmm, I still can see the "System Volume Information" folders...
Have to check more next week.

thx

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

schmitzi wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:07 am
Jeff wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm
schmitzi wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:41 pm

Ah OK, my fault. I never use betas, so I did not look there :)

Hmm, I still can see the "System Volume Information" folders...
Have to check more next week.

thx
Are you sure you have updated the firmware ? Please check the version installed on the emulator (this is printed on the LCD when no sdcard is inserted)
If so, is the "System Volume Information" folder "hidden" or/and "system" on windows ?

schmitzi

Post by schmitzi »

Hi,

the update seems OK, it says v1.8.7.1a

If I am on the root of the card and switch right/left, the SVI-folder does [b]not[/b] appear.

If I am in a folder down und go up via the ".." then it directly lands on the SVI folder, I swear. :)
(If I go right/left then, then it doesnt come back)

Windows properties says "hidden" and "write-protected", folder is shown light grey.

I will do a fresh format now and test again, as I dont know if I have tried to delete that SVI folder in the past,
and maybe "something" happened.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok i see ;) I will fix this in the next release (the new one should be released this week)

schmitzi

Post by schmitzi »

Hi Jeff,
sorry, same "issue". Freshly formatted SD-card, then added the .CFG, then added my .HFEs.
The System Volume Information-folder is still shown there as described above (when going one dir up).
Not really a problem for me, just saying.
As I cannot upload MP4 here, I´ve sent my small demo via eMail.
thanks

schmitzi

Post by schmitzi »

yeah, this works great now, thanks a lot :D " ♪♫ no systemfolder ♪ no cry ♫♫♪ " :)

Another thing I wrote before (did I?), maybe as inspiration for the next update, if possible:

For instance, If I want have work for a while with different images inside my folders "052-klm" and "053-xyz", (jumping between 052 & 053),
and coming upwards back from "053-" by selecting "..", my landing point now is the first folder "001-abc" (before it was the hidden SysVol-folder),
and NOT the 0053 where I came from. This means, EVERY time I want to jump from folder 053 to neighbour 052 or vice versa, I have to go the long klick-route starting from folder 001 -> -> -> -> -> a.s.o (or holding the right or left button maybe to hit the 05x folder almost)

Maybe this returning point can be saved for the up-navigation, the origin folder where I came from, as "continuing" folder ?
I can understand that is not necessary if you have 3 folders and 15 image files on the SD-card,
but makes a very big difference for the effort, when you have hundreds of folders with thousands of images :)

thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I will see how to implement this with the smallest memory footprint possible. :)

schmitzi

Post by schmitzi »

oh yes, I totally forgot about memory :P :mrgreen:
thx