OSX install?

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
tuf

OSX install?

Post by tuf »

I'm not having any luck getting the USB HxC working with OSX Mavericks. I've installed the FTDI drivers according to their instructions and the HxC software no longer reports an error finding the FTDI drivers.

Now it's telling me the "USB HxC Floppy Emulator not detected!" I wasn't exactly sure what to do with the hxcfe_cmdline files, so I took a shot and installed them in usr/local/bin and usr/local/lib but I still get the same result.

Can someone let me know what the proper steps are to install the HxC software is on a Mac? I can't find any install docs anywhere and I don't see a topic on the forum here.

Thanks!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: OSX install?

Post by Jeff »

This is related to this :

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... AC_OSX.pdf
7 OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
7.1 Using VCP or D2XX with OSX 10.9

The VCP driver is provided as part of the kernel in OSX 10.9, therefore no driver installation is required to create a virtual COM port in Mavericks. If D2XX operation is desired, then the built-in VCP driver must be disabled before the D2XX driver can be used. To do this, the relevant kext file needs to be renamed by following the procedure below:

Start a terminal session (Go > Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and copy/paste the following text to the command prompt:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins
sudo mv AppleUSBFTDI.kext AppleUSBFTDI.disabled
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

As an alternative, the kextunload command can be used instead of copying the kext directory:

sudo kextunload –b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI

The kextunload and kextunload commands can be run in any directory.

Reboot the system once the above commands have been executed.
So disable the apple FTDI driver. Then you have just to start the GUI HxC software.

tuf

Post by tuf »

Sounds good Jeff, I'll give it a try when I'm home and post back my results.

tuf

Post by tuf »

That was it Jeff. Works fine now, thanks!

tuf

Post by tuf »

Confirmed this also works on Yosemite. Just had to re-google this to install :)

tuf

Post by tuf »

And, just confirmed it works on High Sierra after having to google myself yet again to figure out the procedure. This time however you can just use the helper app which seems to take care of the issue.