What about using LibDsk for multiplatform support?

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
timofonic

What about using LibDsk for multiplatform support?

Post by timofonic »

LIBDSK seems quite interesting. It's a multiplatform library and tool for accesing to different floppy images files.

It can be useful for copying real floppies to floppy image files, writing them into real disks, converting to different floppy image file formats and making emulators accessing to floppy image files. Because HxC is a floppy emulator (but using a hardware interface)... what about using LibDsk for it? This could provide the support of certain floppy image formats and multiplatform support between DOS, Windows and Unix (maybe even more platforms with some effort).

Not supported formats could be added as the author says:
John Elliott wrote:LibDsk isn't usually concerned with the file system on the disc, only with how the physical sectors are stored. So, for example, the .ST format which seems to be used by Atari emulators, being a raw dump of data, is already supported using the 'raw' driver. If a particular disk geometry isn't among the list of built-in formats, it's possible to add it using the .libdskrc file.
I'm not a programmer but I think the design is smart.

Just will be needed to add support for the remaining still not supported formats and a driver for the HxC hardware device. And the author seems to having not problems in accepting patches from others:
John Elliott wrote:
timofonic wrote: My desire is that libdsk could become in the future the multiplatform OmniFlop (http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop) and even more :)
I'm open to patches.
HxC devs, what do you think?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: What about using LibDsk for multiplatform support?

Post by Jeff »

timofonic wrote:LIBDSK seems quite interesting. It's a multiplatform library and tool for accesing to different floppy images files.

It can be useful for copying real floppies to floppy image files, writing them into real disks, converting to different floppy image file formats and making emulators accessing to floppy image files. Because HxC is a floppy emulator (but using a hardware interface)... what about using LibDsk for it? This could provide the support of certain floppy image formats and multiplatform support between DOS, Windows and Unix (maybe even more platforms with some effort).

Not supported formats could be added as the author says:
John Elliott wrote:LibDsk isn't usually concerned with the file system on the disc, only with how the physical sectors are stored. So, for example, the .ST format which seems to be used by Atari emulators, being a raw dump of data, is already supported using the 'raw' driver. If a particular disk geometry isn't among the list of built-in formats, it's possible to add it using the .libdskrc file.
I'm not a programmer but I think the design is smart.

Just will be needed to add support for the remaining still not supported formats and a driver for the HxC hardware device. And the author seems to having not problems in accepting patches from others:
John Elliott wrote:
timofonic wrote: My desire is that libdsk could become in the future the multiplatform OmniFlop (http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop) and even more :)
I'm open to patches.
HxC devs, what do you think?
I already know LibDSK, and i will probably use it for some formats. ;-)