Oric floppy images support

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Oric floppy images support

Post by Jeff »

JihemB wrote:Hi,

I have some .DSK Oric floppy disk images that make HxCFloppyEmulator.exe (even v2 Beta) to crash while converting.
Here are two of them in case someone can see what's wrong :
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/2896436297/METEOR.DSK
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/593498502/SOLITRIA.DSK

Regards,

JihemB
I have just corrected the software to avoid the crash. i will publish the new version soon.
anyway there still a problem with these images : a bad track number (99) and a wrong geometry code (0).
How was created these images ?

JihemB

Post by JihemB »

Hi,

Actually I downloaded these disk images (and some others) from an Oric fan site.
If the images are corrupted, it may from the source.

Good thing you corrected the software so it now no longer crashes when it reads a corrupted file.

Do you think patching the corrupted files by changing track count from 99 to 42 (which is the standard for Oric 3" disks) may fix the problem ?
I don't know what is geometry code. What could be a correct value ?

Rgs

JihemB

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Softare updated :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... 2_beta.zip

This solve the issue.

Dbug

Post by Dbug »

Sorry for the necromancy on this old thread, but it did not seem right to make a new thread for basically a follow up to the question :)

I'm trying to archive the content of some old 3" floppies to PC emulator format to avoid losing potentially important things, and for that I'm using a Kryoflux. It was not super clear, but I managed to extract the data into to RAW files (*_s0.raw and *_s1.raw) and my hex viewer confirms that it's indeed a "SEDORIC V3.006 etc..." file).

Now I'm trying to make an Oric emulator DSK file, and I know that the HxC Floppy Emulator can read these files, and apparently it has support for Oric DSK files (even Jasmin based on the patch notes), but when I select Export disk/Save as, I don't see any Oric option, only CPC, Thomson, Dragon, Atari, Amiga, etc...

Am I doing something wrong?

(PS: I also do have a HxC device which I use for developing/testing, and DSK -> HFE works, so maybe it's just export to DSK that does not exist?)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

This is just that there is no oric dsk writer :

https://sourceforge.net/p/hxcfloppyemu/ ... sk_loader/

Dbug

Post by Dbug »

Well, that explains :D Thanks for the quick answer - I'm still new at this whole archiving thing - :)

I looked at the Amstrad writer, so I guess what we need is a oricdsk_loader/oricdsk_writer.c with a
int OricDSK_libWrite_DiskFile(HXCFE_IMGLDR* imgldr_ctx,HXCFE_FLOPPY * floppy,char * filename) function?

And I guess it needs to be registered somewhere in the system as well?

Looks like it would be more or less a symmetrical version of the Load_DiskFile version?

What about the change notes?
22 December 2018 : HxCFloppyEmulator 2.1.20.1
(...)
New XML format : Oric Jasmin disk format.
I did not see anything Jasmin related in the oricdsk_loader source files, which I guess makes sense since the underlying disk format is similar, what exactly does this XML Jasmin update do?

Jeff_HxC2001

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

Dbug wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 am
Well, that explains :D Thanks for the quick answer - I'm still new at this whole archiving thing - :)

I looked at the Amstrad writer, so I guess what we need is a oricdsk_loader/oricdsk_writer.c with a
int OricDSK_libWrite_DiskFile(HXCFE_IMGLDR* imgldr_ctx,HXCFE_FLOPPY * floppy,char * filename) function?

And I guess it needs to be registered somewhere in the system as well?

Looks like it would be more or less a symmetrical version of the Load_DiskFile version?

What about the change notes?
22 December 2018 : HxCFloppyEmulator 2.1.20.1
(...)
New XML format : Oric Jasmin disk format.
I did not see anything Jasmin related in the oricdsk_loader source files, which I guess makes sense since the underlying disk format is similar, what exactly does this XML Jasmin update do?
Yes that's it. And then you have just to add the function name in the loader structure (see the loader end of file) + update the makefile.

the xml this is just the disk layout description of the jasmin format. this is used in the raw file loader.

Dbug

Post by Dbug »

Ok, is there an explanation somewhere on how to rebuild all that (I'm using Visual Studio)?

I can give a shot at implementing the missing feature, as long as I don't need to spend two weeks just getting the tool rebuilt :D

Can I assume that the simplest is to do the tests with the command line version of the tool, using the right parameters to call directly the export?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Dbug wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:49 pm
Can I assume that the simplest is to do the tests with the command line version of the tool, using the right parameters to call directly the export?
yes i think so.

you can build this on visual studio (you need to import the vc 6 dsp project), on cygwin or on a linux machine.

Vyper68

Post by Vyper68 »

I have a Cumana Floppy Drive board and a Gotek with the HxC firmware. I have managed to get them to communicate with a floppy cable with pins 9 to 13 twisted. So now the power LED will light and the .hfe image of Sedoric will have two sets of letters “RA” on the left and “WE” on the right. Sadly after a short period the Oric will then say “ No Operating System on Disk “.
I used floppy manager to create the .hfe files from Oric .dsk files I have and have tried Sedoric , OricDOS and RanDOS all with the same result. I had the manager set as Shugart and so I think it should work.

Anyone had some success with this and advice, I plan to get a SD HxC from Lotharek in early 2020 as the photos I have seen mainly show that being used rather than a Gotek.

The Gotek works as it was originally for my BBC Micro and I upgraded from FlashFloppy to HxC last month and it works fine on the Beeb. I am using different USB sticks for the two computers as well so there is no mixing.
Save time, see it my way.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Vyper68 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:38 pm
So now the power LED will light and the .hfe image of Sedoric will have two sets of letters “RA” on the left and “WE” on the right.
The "WE" message means that a bad write happen. This probably mean that you have a problem with the write gate signal. is the floppy ribbon in good condition ?

Vyper68

Post by Vyper68 »

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. I thought that it meant “ Write Enabled “ :oops:

The cable is new but I have just noticed that there are cat teeth marks half way along it so I need to make a new one and try again! :D :lol:
Save time, see it my way.

joys_333

Post by joys_333 »

Good day,

On the website is written that .... firmware for Gotek supports Oric files in DSK format (so I understand) but these files do not work, I have to convert them to HFE
That was one of the reasons why I bought this firmware, because it supports the DSK format of Oric, and I didn't even mention any conversion in advance.
So, is there a possibility that Oric DSK files will ever work without conversion?

Thank you for the advice.
J.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

joys_333 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:45 pm
Good day,

On the website is written that .... firmware for Gotek supports Oric files in DSK format (so I understand)
Where did you read this ? RAW DSK and CPC DSK are supported. The Oric DSKs aren't currently directly supported.

joys_333

Post by joys_333 »

I found it in this table
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... reForGotek
so the Oric DSK support is not considered?