X68000 XVI Compact and HxC SD emulator

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
caius

X68000 XVI Compact and HxC SD emulator

Post by caius »

Hi all,
I want to try the wonderful HxC SD emulaot with my X68000 XVI Compact.
Iknow that for this specific model there are some problems related to the different cable (flat and not ribbon) and pinouts they use.However, I want to try.
This is the pinouts of the internal X68000 Compact model connector:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValle ... c_fdd.html

Now, according to this thread:

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=465

I have to connect these signals from X68000 to HxC (first I have to build an adapter from x68000 FDD flat cable connector to standard floppy ribbon connector):

DISK TYPE SELECT
DRIVE SELECT 3
INDEX
DRIVE SELECT 0
DRIVE SELECT 1
DRIVE SELECT 2
MOTOR ON
DIRECTION SELECT
STEP
WRITE DATA
WRITE GATE
TRACK 00
WRITE PROTECT
READ DATA
SIDE SELECT
READY

Is it right?And what about the ground signals?
Does anyone ever tried ever before?
I read there some troubles for the Auto-eject function of the X68000, how can be handled this problem?
Thanks in advance.

alexito

Re: X68000 XVI Compact and HxC SD emulator

Post by alexito »

hi caius,

here :

http://www.mediafire.com/?6x8za5368s5fzlf

you'll find my small project (now in stand by) on X68000 compact XVI using the external fdd connector it is able to manage just 1 drive at the moment.

Regards.

PCEFAN

caius

Post by caius »

Hi and thanks for replying.It's an interesting project from you , I will surely try it.But I also want to try HxCSD as internal FDDs of my X68000 XVI Compact.Infact I'm building an adaper for this.But, even if I manage to make it working, I will not able to run multidisks games because auto-eject feature is not still emulated.
Did you ever tried HxCSD as internal FDD of your X68000 Compact?Did you know more about?

P.S.
Why did you convert .XDF images into RAW format?I knew HxCSD program could convert XDF into .HFE format.

alexito

Post by alexito »

Hi Caius.
Internal fdd connector is a flat cable is difficult to manage, i have not tried yet.
i dont have the pinouts yet but is easy to build, because you need to follow the lines from the external connector (check the pictures for the japanese homepage in the attachment).

About my homemade HFE files.... well, i dont figure how hxcsd works with regular x68000 disk image files but i have discovered some x68000 images files take long time to boot so i use one master disk image file (RIGAR.XDF) then i delete all files inside (DiskExplorer168e) and put the new files on it (files with some fixs for compatibility with X68030 ussually or more fast booting process).

I have over 40 games patched running with with HXCSD using ramdisk metode but it require Expansion ram sometimes.

PCEFAN

caius

Post by caius »

alexito wrote:Hi Caius.
Internal fdd connector is a flat cable is difficult to manage, i have not tried yet.
i dont have the pinouts yet but is easy to build, because you need to follow the lines from the external connector (check the pictures for the japanese homepage in the attachment).

PCEFAN
The pinouts of the X68000 XVI Compact internal FDD is this:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValle ... c_fdd.html

The problem is that is a flat flexible cable so it requires a 34Pins FFC connector (very hard to find).I have two broken Compact FDDs so I can use their connectors (after desoldering them) to build an adapter.The diagrams should be the one in the attachment.

X68000 Compact FDD to HxC SD.zip
(434 Bytes) Downloaded 453 times

The remaining X68000 Compact signals (eject, eject mask, etc..) can't be connected to HxC and this is why you can run multidisk games with auto-eject feature.Someone says that these signals must be connected to the real Compact FDDs and then insert dummy disks.I wll try it, of course, and let you know then.