EA5 type files with TI-99/4A

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
eck

Re: EA5 type files with TI-99/4A

Post by eck »

I beg your pardon Jeff, but this will be my last try. To format a .hfe DSSD file to DSDD on the 99/4A wont work. I am looking for a MFM, 40 tracks, 18 sectors per track, double side, 256 bytes per sector .hfe file that can be formatted for saving purposes on the TI. I have done as You said and used the raw image section of 1.5 software but I am stuck to the MSX format(981KB). Creating an empty disk or loading the .dsk files result in 981 KB .hfe files. There are some options which I do not understand like GAP3 length, chanced to 25 by me, the interleave with 1 and skew 0 unchanged, bitrate 250000 which seems the highest possible setting for a WD 1773 controller. I tried two different settings for sector IDstart. The default 1 comes up with 981KB and 0 too. Sector 0 and 1 on a TI disk are holding the information for max. 127 files and the name itself. So I prefer 0 in this case but I might be wrong. I have set the configuration to the shugart option(auto off). What else could be changed to gain 40KB more information? Have I preset the MSX handling and have to get rid of it?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

eck wrote:I beg your pardon Jeff, but this will be my last try. To format a .hfe DSSD file to DSDD on the 99/4A wont work. I am looking for a MFM, 40 tracks, 18 sectors per track, double side, 256 bytes per sector .hfe file that can be formatted for saving purposes on the TI. I have done as You said and used the raw image section of 1.5 software but I am stuck to the MSX format(981KB). Creating an empty disk or loading the .dsk files result in 981 KB .hfe files. There are some options which I do not understand like GAP3 length, chanced to 25 by me, the interleave with 1 and skew 0 unchanged, bitrate 250000 which seems the highest possible setting for a WD 1773 controller. I tried two different settings for sector IDstart. The default 1 comes up with 981KB and 0 too. Sector 0 and 1 on a TI disk are holding the information for max. 127 files and the name itself. So I prefer 0 in this case but I might be wrong. I have set the configuration to the shugart option(auto off). What else could be changed to gain 40KB more information? Have I preset the MSX handling and have to get rid of it?
Why this will be your last try ?

EDIT:
sector IDstart must be set to 0.... And to stop to look at the hfe file size. 981 KB doesn't mean that the hfe file is in msx mode.

Here is the TI99/4A disk format :
===========================================================================
SECTION 6

DETAILED DISKETTE FORMAT SPECIFICATION

The diskettes used on the Home Computer Disk Peripheral has the following
specs:

* Capacity 92160 bytes per disk
2304 bytes per track
256 bytes per sector
9 sectors per track

* Encoding method FM Single Density Recording
* Mini diskette type SA 104 (ANSI standard 5.25)

The specified diskette contains 360 sectors of 256 bytes each. In the remainder
of this chapter each sector will be addressed as if the diskette was a linear
medium, i.e. track 0 sector 0 will be sector 0 and track 39 sector 8 equals
sector 359.

So "track type=FM", Number of track=80, Sector per track=9, Sector id start=0, Sector size=256, bitrate=250000, 2 or 1 side.

Your trying to make a DD (MFM) but are you sure that your TI99/4A support a DD disk ?
http://mess.redump.net/sysinfo:ti99_4a
...TI's controller only supports single density disks with 9 sectors per track and 40 tracks per sides...
In another word i recommend you to wait a little for the FM write support.

eck

Post by eck »

Hello Jeff!
I am using a Corcomp controller (3rd party) which is capable of MFM DSDD. Most of my disk have this format. Waiting for the FM support does not solve my problem. I have an original TI controller too, but this device cannot read these disks(only FM DSSD), which I formatted with the Corcomp. So I am not able to store most of my old disks to the SDcard in the HxC with FM support. I read in your post "Number of track 80." Is this a typo? Or does your program expects here the calculation of the two sides? This set I did not test yet. But in the old days 40 tracks were used for drives, which could handle only this amount on a side and those drives, which can read and write 80 tracks on one side, were called 80 track drives. Some TI user changed their TI controller to be capable of FM 80 tracks disk(360k). I do not have this upgrade and it could not handle my DSDD disks either. 3.5 inch, 40 tracks stand alone drives for MSX1 computers can be used with the Corcomp controller, but I have only 5.25 inch drives here in use.

eck

Post by eck »

Checked. It is a typo. Won't bother You no more.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

To be sure you can try to dump a real floppy disk on a PC with the HxC Floppy Emulator software.

acadiel

Post by acadiel »

I have some FM and MFM TI-99/4A (PC99) disk images that I've attached.

SSSD PC99 90K disk image (FM) - CKBK_MGR.DSK
SSSD HFE 90K converted file - CKBK_MGR_DSK.hfe
DSDD PC99 360K disk image (MFM) - EADISK.DSK
DSDD HFE 360K converted file - EADISK_DSK.HFE
DSSD PC99 blank disk image (FM - 180K plus track info) - FMT21.DSK. (Note that SSSD uses the same format.)
DSDD PC99 blank disk image (MFM - 360K plus track info) - FMT22.DSK
Attachments
Archive.zip
TI-99 disks
(253.9 KiB) Downloaded 461 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

acadiel wrote:I have some FM and MFM TI-99/4A (PC99) disk images that I've attached.

DSSD PC99 blank disk image (FM - 180K plus track info) - FMT21.DSK. (Note that SSSD uses the same format.)

And there are working on your TI99/4A ?

acadiel

Post by acadiel »

Jeff wrote:
acadiel wrote:I have some FM and MFM TI-99/4A (PC99) disk images that I've attached.

Yes, the HFE files all work. The DSDD converted ones seem to be R/W and the SSSD/DSSD ones don't seem to allow me to write.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

acadiel wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Yes, the HFE files all work. The DSDD converted ones seem to be R/W and the SSSD/DSSD ones don't seem to allow me to write.
Yes the SD write support is incoming. Stay tuned. I am interrested by your feedbacks.

acadiel

Post by acadiel »

Jeff wrote:Yes the SD write support is incoming. Stay tuned. I am interrested by your feedbacks.
So, does write support only apply to MFM right now, and not FM? FM is coming soon to new firmware?

Thanks for your hard work! :)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

acadiel wrote:
Jeff wrote:Yes the SD write support is incoming. Stay tuned. I am interrested by your feedbacks.
So, does write support only apply to MFM right now, and not FM? FM is coming soon to new firmware?

Thanks for your hard work! :)
Exactly!

eck

Post by eck »

"Last night a DJ saved my live..." thanks to acadiel. A am saving my disks to the SDcard. Hard work. One point I have to mention is that the MFM files in PC99 format cannot be formated with the software I am using. They are write protect. So Jon and Jeff have a good time. eck