Cannot create correct HFE from Kaypro IMG

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
snhirsch

Cannot create correct HFE from Kaypro IMG

Post by snhirsch »

Hi, Jeff.

A few years ago you posted an XML configuration file to help a user properly convert raw sector images from a Kaypro DSDD diskette. I tried using this today, but the resulting HFE does not work correctly. It boots, but the operating system reports the diskette with 1/2 it's nominal capacity. The directory listing appears complete, but I get read errors when trying to access most of them.

Interestingly, if I let the HxC Floppy Emulator tool (under Windows 10) automatically convert the original IMD file, the resulting HFE is correct. What can I do to get conversion of raw images to work properly?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Cannot create correct HFE from Kaypro IMG

Post by Jeff »

On which emulator are you using the HFE file ?

snhirsch

Post by snhirsch »

Oh, sorry. This is being executed on a Gotek. The firmware is a couple of years old, but since batch converted HFE files work properly I didn't focus on the emulator as a problem. Seems rather to be something wrong with how HxC Windows tool converts the binary.

If you contact me privately with the address, I can upload a zip with original IMD, working HFE batch-converted from IMD, raw sector data extracted from IMD and the non-functional HFE I get when converting from that raw data.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Can you retry with the latest firmware version ? :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

snhirsch

Post by snhirsch »

Behaves the same with latest firmware. Here are the steps I'm using - please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong:
  1. Select 'Load Raw Image'
  2. In dialog, select 'Load Config' and load 'empty_hfe.xml' as posted to another user on this forum.
  3. Select 'Load RAW File' and import the binary sector image.
  4. Select 'Export' on main dialog and write as HFE.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Send me the files i will have a look but if you know the layout to use you can add it in the firmware :

(User defined raw file image/disk format section)

https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/

snhirsch

Post by snhirsch »

I just sent the files as an e-mail attachment. Let me know if you do not receive them?

The empty_hfe.xml configuration file appears to define the correct format. Shouldn't that result in a working HFE without the need to define anything special?

I looked at the online firmware build page, but it has no obvious way to define the Kaypro sector numbering. I thought that was why the .XML file was required?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

you can define your custom (kaypro) layout in the "User defined raw file image/disk format" section.

i have successfully converted the bin file to hfe with the provided xml file. The result is equal to the imd converted hfe file (minus the 2 last sectors). i suspect that you have made a mistake somewhere.

snhirsch

Post by snhirsch »

I will try yet again (been through this at least 5 times already). And, can you please explain how I can define the sector layout (0..9 on first side and 10-19 on second) in the web tool? I must be missing something.

Does anything in that non-working HFE file I sent suggest exactly what might have been done improperly? Thanks for your help, this has been quite frustrating.

UPDATE: Ok, wait... Do I need to configure anything in the RAW import dialog box IN ADDITION to loading the XML file? If so, why does the RAW import not take all of its settings from XML and reflect them on screen? I installed the very latest Beta of HxC Floppy Emulator application on Windows. By default the RAW dialog came up with what appears to be a PC 3.5" 1.44 MB format. I then load the XML configuration and nothing changes on screen! When I then load the sector image and export, it ends up 2x larger than the good HFE. I'm clearly missing something in this process - but what?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Load Raw Image -> Predefined Disk Layout -> XML Disk Layout -> Select your XML -> Load RAW file -> Select your IMG/BIN file -> Close -> Export -> Choose the export file name and valid -> It's done.

You can use the Track Analyzer window to check the format validity.

snhirsch

Post by snhirsch »

Ah - ok. Here's the issue and a suggestion for improvement of the user interface: The RAW dialog defaults to showing 'Custom Disk Layout' in the 'Predefined Disk Layout' pull-down. In my mind (and likely in the mind of many users) the XML file WAS a 'custom' disk layout. So, I never opened the pull-down, but simply hit 'Load' --> 'All files' --> selected the XML file and hit Ok. The application lets me do this and never complains about this file not being what's expected! That, of course, is why the dialog never updated. The application then uses whatever is in it to determine the conversion, resulting in an incorrect HFE file. Obviously user error, but I would strongly recommend that the configuration load be more strict about its behavior. One idea: If 'Custom Disk Layout' is chosen consider greying out the load button?

Now that I understand where I went wrong, it is indeed working correctly. Thanks!

More user-oriented suggestions:
  1. Explain in more detail what some of the options on the dialog mean? In particular, explanation of the four check boxes (tracks of side together, reverse side, interside numbering and side-based) would be very helpful. In English, at least, the explanations are ambiguous to the point where I'm still not completely sure what they do. Why not "hover help" for these? Or, failing that, elaborate more in the user documentation?
  2. Make the GUI compatible with HDpi displays? On my Windows 7 virtual machine, the scaling is so small I almost need a magnifying glass to read it. Perhaps I'm again missing something, but I cannot find a configuration option to scale it up.
Please take this in the spirit of suggestions for improvement rather than criticism. You do great work!