Fanuc System-P model G MarkII

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
tc429

Fanuc System-P model G MarkII

Post by tc429 »

looking for any success stories on putting a emulator in one of these old beasts... floppies have been a thorn in my side for years, and getting worse daily.
I played around a couple years ago with a gotek unit, bought another P-G for at home to tear apart, but eventually gave up... just no time... did find out in messing with them, the Fanucs run at 300 rpm, found some other info on tracks/sectors, but configuring is still elusive...
bought a Nalbantov drive hoping it would be just plug and play, been emailing back and forth for days, nothings seemed to work yet- its wired/responding, but cant get files...theyre still working on it, but its not looking too good so far- seeing the exact same results I'd had with the gotek years ago.

hoping someone in here has experience with using these successfully in the old Fanuc computers, and can share configuration data required that might help Nalbantov in reconfiguring this thing to work...

thanks in advance

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Fanuc System-P model G MarkII

Post by Jeff »

tc429 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:15 pm
looking for any success stories on putting a emulator in one of these old beasts... floppies have been a thorn in my side for years, and getting worse daily.
I played around a couple years ago with a gotek unit, bought another P-G for at home to tear apart, but eventually gave up... just no time... did find out in messing with them, the Fanucs run at 300 rpm, found some other info on tracks/sectors, but configuring is still elusive...
bought a Nalbantov drive hoping it would be just plug and play, been emailing back and forth for days, nothings seemed to work yet- its wired/responding, but cant get files...theyre still working on it, but its not looking too good so far- seeing the exact same results I'd had with the gotek years ago.

hoping someone in here has experience with using these successfully in the old Fanuc computers, and can share configuration data required that might help Nalbantov in reconfiguring this thing to work...

thanks in advance
Which firmware have you on this Nalbantov drive ? The hxc firmware ?
If you have some working disks you can send me them. I will dump them to have the right disk image.
Can the machine format a floppy disk ?

tc429

Post by tc429 »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Which firmware have you on this Nalbantov drive ? The hxc firmware ?
If you have some working disks you can send me them. I will dump them to have the right disk image.
Can the machine format a floppy disk ?
they have their own apparently...I have several gotek units here too, tried messing with them a couple years ago, but gave up.

the Fanuc can format its own disks- 'DINT 0' command formats drive 0...they use 0/1 instead of A/B, and DINT instead of 'format', REMOVE instead of 'copy', FDLI L instead if 'dir/p'... very DOSlike, just the words change and the disks are a funky 2.0mb format on a standard 1.44 diskette

what do you use for disk image- I likely have it here and could possibly email a image, if it would tell you anything... I have currently only one image available, its in a '.imd' file type (from imagedisk- but have other stuff too, just putting the 300rpm drive in takes a while)

from old notes,
pretty sure Fanuc was 360 rpm, 26 sector, 256 byte/sector,72 tracks

had stated thought they were 300, thinking 360 was standard, just looking thru specs, know they were non standard, must be 360...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What you should try is to format a DD HFE file with the machine.

tc429

Post by tc429 »

Jeff wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:47 am
What you should try is to format a DD HFE file with the machine.
have tried- the P-G just locks up. however, in doing more reading, I had them redo it wrong again- apparently Fanuc IS 300 rpm. will see if they can give that another try...

can you recommend a good floppy disk image tool to use to read these disks? the .IMD files they said were readable but contained errors.

thanks for any suggestions!