8" CP/M format for Advanced Digital Corp Super Quad

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
chapmro

8" CP/M format for Advanced Digital Corp Super Quad

Post by chapmro »

I have an HxC and an Advanced Digital Corp Super Quad single-board S-100 computer. I also have an .IMD format file of the 8" boot disk for this machine from the Maslin archives. The software tools for the HxC were able to read the IMD and make an .HFE, but I am so far unable to interface the HxC to the Super Quad (I have a Super Six board also, if that helps). I set the HxC configuration file to be "Generic Shugart" and "auto", and I tried configuring the Super Quad floppy connector as both an 8" drive and a 5.25" inch drive, but none of those 4 configurations worked. I also tried configuring the Super Quad to expect an 8" drive and made a custom cable from the HxC 34-pin cable to the 50-pin connector on the Super Quad. The format of the 8" disk is odd, but I think it was called "IBM 3740 double density" : track 0 is MFM, all other tracks FM, 1024-byte sectors, 77 tracks, 1:3 interleave. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: 8" CP/M format for Advanced Digital Corp Super Quad

Post by Jeff »

chapmro wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 pm
I have an HxC and an Advanced Digital Corp Super Quad single-board S-100 computer. I also have an .IMD format file of the 8" boot disk for this machine from the Maslin archives. The software tools for the HxC were able to read the IMD and make an .HFE, but I am so far unable to interface the HxC to the Super Quad (I have a Super Six board also, if that helps). I set the HxC configuration file to be "Generic Shugart" and "auto", and I tried configuring the Super Quad floppy connector as both an 8" drive and a 5.25" inch drive, but none of those 4 configurations worked. I also tried configuring the Super Quad to expect an 8" drive and made a custom cable from the HxC 34-pin cable to the 50-pin connector on the Super Quad. The format of the 8" disk is odd, but I think it was called "IBM 3740 double density" : track 0 is MFM, all other tracks FM, 1024-byte sectors, 77 tracks, 1:3 interleave. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
What is displayed on the emulator screen ? What is the emulator behaviour when you try to read the disk ?

chapmro

Post by chapmro »

If by emulator you mean the HxC screen, the top line has the filename for the file that is mounted "adc-cpm.hfe". In the second line, I get "RA" on the left hand side, T:000/077 in the middle, "s:0" on the right. No seek noise, but then I believe the HxC starts the head out on zero. The middle LED comes on for a while. After maybe 20 seconds the "RA" goes away, as does the light. On the computer's console it either displays nothing at all and locks up, or sometimes says "FDC Cold Boot Error 10". Once, and I have no idea how, I got some seeking sounds and "CPM.SYS not found" on the console. Was never able to repeat that. This happens whether I boot by driving the reset line on the S-100 bus low, or by typing "B" in the ROM monitor.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

This look like to be an RPM/Bitrate setting issue. Could you share you IMD & HFE file ?

Have you the schematic of this board ?

chapmro

Post by chapmro »

Sure. I cannot attach the files because they are too large, even zipped. But you can do exactly what I did easily. I started by downloading the Maslin archive. http://www.gaby.de/sysdisk.htm. The file I used is a boot disk for the ADC super quad and super six in Teledisk format found in the archive at sydex/1997/8in/adc-cpm.td0. Then I used the HxC software's export function to produce .imd and .hfe from the .td0. I've attached the HXCSDFE.CFG file.
Attachments
HXCSDFE.CFG.zip
(623 Bytes) Downloaded 351 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have you a schematic ?

chapmro

Post by chapmro »

Schematic is on pp. 123-129 of the manual for the board, found here http://www.s100computers.com/Hardware%2 ... r_Quad.pdf

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Send me the HFE and IMD images to hxc2001 at hxc2001.com
thanks !

chapmro

Post by chapmro »

Sent! Thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have you a Rev B HxC ?

Can you share the images you trying to use (HFE + DSK)?