Will HxC unit work on the Tatung Einstein?

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
soydemadrid

Re: Will HxC unit work on the Tatung Einstein?

Post by soydemadrid »

Hi guys, I've been following this thread for some time with great excitement as I own a Tatung Einstein 256.

I wanted to add an external drive (whether HxC or actual floppy original), however on opening up my Tatung I see there is no easy way to connect an extra drive like there is with the TC01 !

I have the schematic in the manual, so connecting a drive to the computer is ok internally and a HxC etc should also work if I follow that pinout, however does anyone know how I add a second drive? I know (again from the original manual) that there was an external drive that you originally added by opening the case and feeding the ribbon cable through a slit in the case out to the outside. The problem is I think these original external floppies had some kind of PCB connector, so you can plug your external into the existing internal floppy slot on the motherboard - and then plug your internal drive into the pcb of the external.

Do I just need to connect two drives to the same pins like I would in a PC and then just set them as drive A and drive B (master/slave) with jumper pins on the floppy drives?? Or is there some other special way I am supposed to hook them up?

Thanks for any help at all fellow Tatung Einstein users :)

soydemadrid

Re: Will HxC unit work on the Tatung Einstein?

Post by soydemadrid »

Ok it turns out there isn't anything complex going on - you do just connect them on a double ribbon cable to get the external drive up and running. So I've now got my Tatung Einstein 256 working with the external drive which is great.

Does anyone know a trick in MOS of how to boot straight from external or swap the active default drive from disk drive 0: to drive 1: please???

It seems the machine expects you to only boot DOS from drive 0: and there doesn't seem to be a way in MOS to choose drive 1: instead. My hope is someone may know a clever hack on how to change the drive from a MOS command please?

Thanks for any help.