TRS80 Model 1 - Directory read error

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
apspurgeon

TRS80 Model 1 - Directory read error

Post by apspurgeon »

Hi All

I have an SD HxC connected to my TRS80 as Drive 1
(I boot from physical floppy disk - NEWDOS/80)

I've tried numerous disk images, and making sure they are single sided/single density.

However, if I type DIR 1 the HxC responds and the display flickers between RA T:001/40 S:0 and RA T:000/40 S:0 several times before NEWDOS reports a 'Directory Read Error'

I'm running out of ideas, I've tried Pin34 High and Low in the setup but get the same error

Any help very much appreciated

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: TRS80 Model 1 - Directory read error

Post by Jeff »

Which kind of image are you using ?

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon »

Hi Jeff

I have tried a mixture, including images I found specifically for Model 1 (SS/SD). They are all 35 or 40 track, Single density.
I've also tried loading them into the HxC FloppyEmulator tool and exporting as HFE.

I'm new to this, so I suspect I haven't answered the question properly, and I'm not 100% familiar with the image formats yet.

Last night I found a bootable NEWDOS/80 Image and changed the HxC to be Drive 0. It started to boot, the NEWDOS logo came up on the screen but then it stop/hung. That same image also comes up with Directory error if I try and use it as Drive 1 when I boot from physical FDD

I'm starting to suspect it's not stepping tracks for some reason. (I did also try single/double step in the configuration)

**** Update ****

Looking at the pin outs I decided to crimp another cable (in case Pin 30 - STEP) wasn't working - I got the same problem
However
I removed the last physical floppy from the cable (this has the terminator) e.g it was Drive 1 at end of cable and terminated.
and behold I booted from the HxC OK.

So looks like there is an issue with the terminator on Drive 1 interacting with the HxC. Will keep trying to resolve

**** And it's all working now

I'm booting off a physical NEWDOS/80 Disk, then using HxC for Drive 1.
I had trouble with some images having too many tracks, so created a new image using TRSTOOLS, dragging CMD files into it and then importing that new image into HxC Emulator to export HFE. Seems to work

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Which images are causing you issues exactly ?