HXC compatible Disk Images for TRS 80 - Help!!!

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
abraXXious

Re: HXC compatible Disk Images for TRS 80 - Help!!!

Post by abraXXious »

gonk23 wrote:Download and install TRSTools (http://www.trs-80emulators.com/trstools/) on a Windows PC.

If you have downloaded a disk image (e.g. ends in .dsk, .dmk, or .jv3) then in TRSTools click File->Open to open the image. Then click Edit->Extract to extract the files to a folder on your Windows PC. This will give you a bunch of .cmd (executable), .bas (BASIC), etc files. If you actually downloaded files that end with .cmd, .bas, etc. then you obviously don't need to do the previous step.

Once you have the files you want to transfer, in TRSTools click File->New to create a new image. Use JV3, LDOS/LS-DOS, Double density, 1 side, 40 tracks to create a normal image. You can experiment with other disk sizes. Don't use DMK for now because I think there's a problem with the way HxC software reads this (I need to talk to Jeff about this).

In TRSTools you can then click Edit->Add to add any files you want. After that click File->Close to close the image.

Now in the HxC software, click the Load button to load the image you just created. Click the Export button to create the HFE image. Then transfer the HFE image to your SD card.

Thank you for that! Will try this tonight!

Audronic

Post by Audronic »

@ gonk23

Yes the .DMK files do have a problem.
I have been through this previously with Jeff still unresolved.

@ abraXXious

Welcome to the TRS-80 Model III world.
(I just purchased a PCMCIA Installer for my Amiga 600 from you)
As a new TRS-80 user probably stay with LDOS

Later you could look at Getting a FreHD (SD Card Hard Drive)

http://ianmav.customer.netspace.net.au/trs80/

Good luck Ray W______________
If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.

Procrastinators Unite !

gonk23

Post by gonk23 »

Audronic wrote: Yes the .DMK files do have a problem.
I'm not sure if the problem I found is the same as yours, but I think I know what's happening. I'll do some more tests in a few days and email Jeff directly.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Audronic wrote:@ gonk23

Yes the .DMK files do have a problem.
? :?: ?

Here is your last message about dmk/trs80 here :
Audronic wrote:Hi Jeff

I had Not enabled the Drive B (Switch), I only had Drive A enabled.

I have tried more DMK's and all worked ??.

Sorry if I have wasted your time, I don't know what caused the problem, It may have been a faulty HXCSDFE.CFG file.

Thanks again

Yours Ray
So what finally ?!?!?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

gonk23 wrote:
Audronic wrote: Yes the .DMK files do have a problem.
I'm not sure if the problem I found is the same as yours, but I think I know what's happening. I'll do some more tests in a few days and email Jeff directly.
:?:

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

gonk23 wrote:Download and install TRSTools (http://www.trs-80emulators.com/trstools/) on a Windows PC.

If you have downloaded a disk image (e.g. ends in .dsk, .dmk, or .jv3) then in TRSTools click File->Open to open the image. Then click Edit->Extract to extract the files to a folder on your Windows PC. This will give you a bunch of .cmd (executable), .bas (BASIC), etc files. If you actually downloaded files that end with .cmd, .bas, etc. then you obviously don't need to do the previous step.

Once you have the files you want to transfer, in TRSTools click File->New to create a new image. Use JV3, LDOS/LS-DOS, Double density, 1 side, 40 tracks to create a normal image. You can experiment with other disk sizes. Don't use DMK for now because I think there's a problem with the way HxC software reads this (I need to talk to Jeff about this).

In TRSTools you can then click Edit->Add to add any files you want. After that click File->Close to close the image.

Now in the HxC software, click the Load button to load the image you just created. Click the Export button to create the HFE image. Then transfer the HFE image to your SD card.
Why do you use this way ? Why no use directly the downloaded dmk/jv1/jv3 files with the hxc software ?

gonk23

Post by gonk23 »

Jeff wrote:Why do you use this way ? Why no use directly the downloaded dmk/jv1/jv3 files with the hxc software ?
My instructions were specifically for converting from one TRS-80 DOS format to another, e.g. from TRSDOS to LDOS. They weren't intended as general instructions.

LDOS and TRSDOS 1.3 store their data in different ways. Therefore one DOS cannot easily read/write the other DOS's disks. LDOS does actually have a CONV command, but it only operates on full disks.

In the first post, abraXXious mentions he wants to use LDOS. He is booting from a physical LDOS disk and only using HxC for data disks. However a lot of software on the Internet is in TRSDOS format. This was why he couldn't read the disk images originally.

gonk23

Post by gonk23 »

gonk23 wrote:Don't use DMK for now because I think there's a problem with the way HxC software reads this (I need to talk to Jeff about this).
Update: I had an email conversation with Jeff about this, and it's looking like TRSTools might be the problem here. Even though the sector data produced by TRSTools is fine (which is why its images work in different emulators like TRS32 or SDLTRS) the other track data may have some problems.

So if you're using TRSTools to create custom images then use the JV3 format.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

This may interesting to make some tests to understand what is the issue : Index mark needed ? Sector under index ? GAP too small ? ...

Audronic

Post by Audronic »

@ Gonk23 and @ Jeff

Thanks for the follow up on the DMK format.

"" So if you're using TRSTools to create custom images then use the JV3 format. ""

Keep up the good work

Ray
If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.

Procrastinators Unite !

Wizard1969

Post by Wizard1969 »

Are 80 track images supposed to work?

gonk23

Post by gonk23 »

Wizard1969 wrote:Are 80 track images supposed to work?
I've used 80 track DSDD images successfully on a Model III running LDOS 5.3.1. The TRS-80 OS needs to support 80 track drives, e.g. TRSDOS 1.3 won't work.

Wizard1969

Post by Wizard1969 »

gonk23 wrote:
Wizard1969 wrote:Are 80 track images supposed to work?
I've used 80 track DSDD images successfully on a Model III running LDOS 5.3.1. The TRS-80 OS needs to support 80 track drives, e.g. TRSDOS 1.3 won't work.
Are you able to read any of these?
Attachments
adams1_80sssd_jv1_DSK.hfe.zip
(123.05 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

gonk23

Post by gonk23 »

Wizard1969 wrote:Are you able to read any of these?
I tried a Model III booting LDOS 5.3.1, and your image (on drive :2) did not work. I get "Illegal drive number". I suspect it's because you've used single density.

I converted your image back to JV1 (raw IMG) using the HxC software and was able to extract the contents using TRSTools. I created a new JV3 DSDD80 image using TRSTools and added the files to the image. This works fine when converted to HFE. See attached file.

To test the single density theory, I used TRSTools to create a JV3 SSSD80 image and added your files. I converted it to HFE and tried it on my Model III. It didn't work either.

By the way, SSSD80 would be an unusual format for the TRS-80 Model I/III/4. For 80-track disks you'd normally use double-density and double-sided. The normal formats for a Model III/4 are SSDD40 (default), DSDD40, or DSDD80.
Attachments
advent_dsdd80_JV3.hfe.zip
(111.94 KiB) Downloaded 440 times

Wizard1969

Post by Wizard1969 »

Thanks Gonk23, I am just becoming familiar with the TRS-80 and your post really helped. I am not sure why that image was SSSD80 , I had downloaded it and a few more from a website where a guy had listed his favorite TRS-80 programs. It would not run properly in SDLTRS either yet TRSTools was opening it for me, so I was getting confused. Thanks for the information and help!