Emulator on Yamaha Clavinova

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
oscar

Emulator on Yamaha Clavinova

Post by oscar »

I can't get the SD Emulator working on my Clavinova CVP-83S.

What I have: A brand new board revision C (good quality Lotharek!) and latest firmware. The keyboard uses standard 2DD disks with midi files on it.

Emulator works fine on PC.
Replaced the internal TEAC FD 235F-5482-U in the keyboard with the emulator and a straight cable. The TEAC was jumpered to pin34= Ready, pin2 = disc change, and DS0. Looks pretty shugart standard to me. So I selected the generic shugart mode on the emulator. I had to jumper the emulator to ID3 = MTRON otherwise the access from the keyboard could not be recognized.

I have created a lot of HEF files (actually all the Desktop software alows), but cannot read them on the keyboard. On some files, the keyboard suggests reformatting, which worked so far on files with mfm and 300 rpm. I can then write to the disks recording on the keyboard, one can see and hear the keyboard writing and reading. After a reboot, everything is gone.

This model of the FD235 can be rejumpered from Shugart to PC pinout,
so I connected the original TEAC to my PC and dumped original Yamaha disks to the SD card - unreadable by the keyboard.

On the other hand, the mfm 300 files formatted on the keyboard are unreadable on the PC (Win 7 / 64 bit). I tried different SD cards - same effect.

In the past, I could interchange midi disks between keyboard and PC on 2DD disks.

There are reports that the internal drive of the keyboard could easily be exchanged to a PC interface drive: http://cowo.supersized.org/archives/24- ... drive.html

So it should work. I assume the problem is either in front of the PC, or in front of the keyboard. :?

Any ideas? Your help is appreciated.

oscar

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Emulator on Yamaha Clavinova

Post by Jeff »

oscar wrote:I can't get the SD Emulator working on my Clavinova CVP-83S.

What I have: A brand new board revision C (good quality Lotharek!) and latest firmware. The keyboard uses standard 2DD disks with midi files on it.

Emulator works fine on PC.
Replaced the internal TEAC FD 235F-5482-U in the keyboard with the emulator and a straight cable. The TEAC was jumpered to pin34= Ready, pin2 = disc change, and DS0. Looks pretty shugart standard to me. So I selected the generic shugart mode on the emulator. I had to jumper the emulator to ID3 = MTRON otherwise the access from the keyboard could not be recognized.

I have created a lot of HEF files (actually all the Desktop software alows), but cannot read them on the keyboard. On some files, the keyboard suggests reformatting, which worked so far on files with mfm and 300 rpm. I can then write to the disks recording on the keyboard, one can see and hear the keyboard writing and reading. After a reboot, everything is gone.

This model of the FD235 can be rejumpered from Shugart to PC pinout,
so I connected the original TEAC to my PC and dumped original Yamaha disks to the SD card - unreadable by the keyboard.

On the other hand, the mfm 300 files formatted on the keyboard are unreadable on the PC (Win 7 / 64 bit). I tried different SD cards - same effect.

In the past, I could interchange midi disks between keyboard and PC on 2DD disks.

There are reports that the internal drive of the keyboard could easily be exchanged to a PC interface drive: http://cowo.supersized.org/archives/24- ... drive.html

So it should work. I assume the problem is either in front of the PC, or in front of the keyboard. :?

Any ideas? Your help is appreciated.

oscar
Hi,

Can you send me or put here the hfe file you have generated please ?
And one or more floppy dump

oscar

Post by oscar »

I have posted some sample file with description here:

www.moorteich.de\cvp83.zip

oscar

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

oscar wrote:I have posted some sample file with description here:

www.moorteich.de\cvp83.zip

oscar
the link doesn't work.

oscar

Post by oscar »

Try it like this: http://www.moorteich.de/cvp83.zip
oscar

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

oscar wrote:Try it like this: http://www.moorteich.de/cvp83.zip
oscar
ok try this one :
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... fe_img.hfe

Two things :
>There are a bug somewhere in the dump tool, the bitrate of the HFE file was wrong. i will correct this.

>The shugard setting must be selected before converting files to HFE. (the interface mode are set into the floppy file image)
The files you send me are in PC 720k mode.
Change the setting to shugart mode, reload the hfe file and reexport into hfe. This will correct the setting.

oscar

Post by oscar »

That file works perfectly!

As I thought, the problem was in front of the computer.

I converted some IMG files - they work now too. Sometimes things are that simple.

Thanks a lot!

oscar

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

oscar wrote:That file works perfectly!

As I thought, the problem was in front of the computer.

I converted some IMG files - they work now too. Sometimes things are that simple.

Thanks a lot!

oscar
But there are a true bug in the floppy dumper !
Thanks for the feedback.

Don't hesitate to make some pictures and/or video of your setup.
:D

oscar

Post by oscar »

Pictures of my test setup:

http://www.moorteich.de/yamaha_cvp83.JPG
http://www.moorteich.de/yamaha_cvp83_2.JPG

Just found out that disk change is not recognized.
I'll figure it out tomorrow.

oscar

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

oscar wrote:
Just found out that disk change is not recognized.
I'll figure it out tomorrow.

oscar
i think that this is because you used "ID3"/MTRON as drive select.
Which floppy cable type are you using? twisted or not ?

oscar

Post by oscar »

I use the original one from the keyboard, which is non-twisted.

The reason was another one. After deleting all files with the wrong coding from the SD card, disk change is properly detected.

oscar

flemke

Post by flemke »

My Keyboard is a Clavinova CVP75. The original floppy drive (Mitsubishi MF353C-152MZ) stopped working some time ago.
I replaced it by a GOTEK emulator which has been flashed to the HxC software (Thanks Jeff!).

The original drive was jumpered to Ready-Pin34, DiskChange-Pin2 and Motor startup by MotorOn.
So I jumpered MO on the GOTEK emulator and selected Generic Shugart as interface setup in the HxC emulator software.
(Without the MO jumper it did not work, like Oscar posted, too)

The last selected disk image is recognized by the keyboard after I switch it on but I can't successfully change the disks. The keyboard seems to recognize the disk change signal but is not correctly reading the new disk. Only for a short moment (half a second) it is showing me the new disk (some specific lights on the keyboard appear) then it seems to be like I have ejected the disk.
If I then switch the power off and on the disk is correctly recognized (reading/writing works).

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to get the disk change working (switching the keyboard off and on is not a good solution)?

Regards,
Frank

flemke

Post by flemke »

Hi Jeff,

Is there a documentation about the custom settings for PIN2 and PIN34 (Ready, nReady, DiskChange1, nDiskChange1, etc.)?
Could you please give me a hint which settings I could try for solving the problem?

Which setting do I have to choose for the HFE file interface mode when I select Custom for the floppy emulator interface setting?
When my understanding is correct, these settings have to correlate. Please correct me.

Regards,
Frank

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Try this image with the default cfg file:

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... fe_img.hfe

flemke

Post by flemke »

Thank you for your reply.
I've tried your image file with no difference. Initially after turning on the Piano the disk is read. But after switching the disk (DSKA0000.HFE is the only image file, so the display keeps showing 000) the Clavinova rejects it somehow.

What can I do to give you more input?