Kawai Q80 and Gotek (again!)

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
ambiguation

Kawai Q80 and Gotek (again!)

Post by ambiguation »

Hi all

I've read through this thread

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3559&p=20236&hilit ... ble#p20236

and am experiencing similar (the same?) problem/s.

I have a new-to-me Kawai Q80 and no floppy disks. There is a floppy drive in it, and I just received from Amazon a Gotek drive. The jumper seems to be set properly because there're no errors on the Gotek. When I do the push-both-buttons-at-power-on step, though, the counter seems to stop at 83, or thereabouts. No errors though.

I've performed some steps based on various internet searching, resulting in me having a USB drive with 100 virtual floppy drives created using USB_Floppy_Emulator_1.40i.exe. Inserting the USB into the Kawai always ends up with "disk unavailable", whether it's reading, writing or trying to format. When I try to format there's a counter in the display that gets to somewhere around 150 (I think) before the "disk unavailable" message. This doesn't happen when trying to read or write.

I found a box of unused floppies on eBay which will hopefully turn up in a few days - that way I will be able to make sure the Kawai floppy drive actually works *and* save my recordings! :-)

In the meantime, any ideas? I saw a zip file (Q80.zip) posted in the thread above but the DSKA0000.IMG is too bit to fit on a virtual floppy for me to try it.

Many thanks in advance!

ambiguation

Re: Kawai Q80 and Gotek (again!)

Post by ambiguation »

Wanted to add a follow-up. The floppies from eBay arrived today and the Q80's floppy drive successfully formatted and wrote to a disk, so the power & ribbon cable are OK.

Still hoping to get some help on getting the Gotek working, otherwise it's going back to Amazon :-(

Thanks all!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What is displayed on the Gotek screen when no usb stick is connected ?

ambiguation

Post by ambiguation »

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the reply.

Gotek says 00.0.

Those dots are not my own added punctuation :-)

ambiguation

Post by ambiguation »

Another update.

I reformatted 99 "floppies" in Windows, and put the USB drive into the Q80.

Same as before "disk unavailable" ... but... I messed with the jumpers and now I am able to format my virtual floppies in the Q80!

Still getting "disk unavailable" when I try to save a song, though. I gave the song a name (doesn't matter what because the disk is empty) but no joy :-(

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ambiguation

Post by ambiguation »

Thanks Jeff.

I confess - some of the various internet threads regarding Goteks are pretty old and I had in my mind "oh, that paying for a license thing probably doesn't apply any more" and so I completely ignored that part of the operation.

No offence to you intended!!!

I have bought the STM32 thing and will now work on next steps. When I'm ready I'll place my order on your site.

Since I bought the Kawai I have acquired several other older pieces of equipment (Roland sequencer, AKAI sampler, EMU sampler), which I'll eventually also want to add Goteks to.
If the Kawai works out OK I'll do the same for them (do I need a separate license for each item?), if not I'll save some $$$ and buy pre-prepared drives from the links you have provided.

Many thanks again for your help (and your patience with me!).

- Dave