Yamaha SY-85 with Gotek

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
ctflop85

Yamaha SY-85 with Gotek

Post by ctflop85 »

Hello,

I'm trying to get a Gotek (7 seg display) to talk to my Yamaha SY-85, Using an adapter cable wired identically to this:

viewtopic.php?t=3528

It's worth noting that the SY-85 floppies may be written to/read by a DOS/Windows machine in 720k DD format. FWIW, the original drive (no longer working, even with a new belt) is a Matsushita (Panasonic) EME-213YV, with a 24 pin flex cable/connector and NOT a 26 pin cable as noted here: https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... upport.htm

I'm unable to get any farther than getting a "Disk Unformatted" error on my Yamha SY-85 when I attempt to read from the emulator. As noted by others on this forum, the activity light on the drive is lit dimly - but it will go bright when the drive is active.

What I have done, using the standard firmware:

- Jumpers M0 and S0 are set.

- The buttons will step 000-003, corresponding to the .HFE files on the USB indicating that the Gotek seems to be reading the USB properly.

- If Menu 0 is set to 0 (0:0) (Auto) and menu 1 is set to 0 (1:0) (Auto) the unit will simply hang when trying to go into the Utilities menu to access the floppy and NOT show the "utilities" screen.

- If it is set to 0:0 (Auto) and Generic Shugart (1:8) with the USB inserted (in index mode) it will give the "Disk Unformatted" error: If I do not insert a USB disk, the unit usually give a "Disk Not Ready" indication - although it will occasionally just hang on the "utilities" screen (e.g. the "not ready" may not be being asserted.) This configuration seems to be the closes that I have find to "working" in that it doesn't hang, but it acts as though no read data is being output by the Gotek - or, perhaps, it is the wrong rate/format.

- I have tried the "non gated" version as suggested on an older forum post with the same results as above.

Additional:

- This same USB in the DosDiskBrowser shows the correct files, the "File System Type" being grayed out, but shows "3.5" 720KB DSDD FAT12.

- The "HXCSDFE.CFG file in the root directory of the USB is from the folder "Config_Files/Index_mode".

I have searched the forum for solutions, but have found nothing relevant - although there are a few tantalizing exchanges that end with "I'll send you some files to try" - but no further messages to see if it worked, or what was done.

Thanks in advance.

CT

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha SY-85 with Gotek

Post by Jeff »

For sure you need the non-gated firmware build option enabled for this machine.
And you also need to enable the Shugart mode.

Have you a Gotek with an Artery uC ?

ctflop85

Post by ctflop85 »

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I have the Gotek with the Artrey proc.

CT

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ctflop85 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:35 am
- If Menu 0 is set to 0 (0:0) (Auto) and menu 1 is set to 0 (1:0) (Auto) the unit will simply hang when trying to go into the Utilities menu to access the floppy and NOT show the "utilities" screen.
What do you mean by "the unit" ? : Is it the Gotek or the Yamaha SY-85 ?