Korg X2 (X3) problem with Gotek (solved)

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
JackN

Korg X2 (X3) problem with Gotek (solved)

Post by JackN »

Hello,
i have the following setup: Korg X2 with Gotek drive and HxC firmware (latest version), with OLED display attached. Adapter to 26pin, Jumper set to S0, no other jumper present on Gotek. Set to Shugart mode, system family set to Korg. Tried it also with no specific system family, doesn't matter.
I have a tried preparing a few .hfe files on disks, and some empty Dos 720kb disk files, so that I may get any kind of response from the synth. It has been hardware reset, so I need to upload the original data onto it.

However, regardless of which disk I "insert" into the Gotek, the Synth always tries to load the directory and stops with a "Data Error" message. I can see on the LCD that it does not try to access any tracks of the disk.
The same when I tell it to format the disk, there is a waiting message on the LCD of the X2, but the tracks of the disk are not accessed, it is not formatted.

Edit: Forgot: The LED on the Gotek does not light up at all, too.

Do I need to prepare a special configuration file for it to be able to access the disks?

And: can anyone point me to some help how to get the X3 preload files onto a virtual disk? You can only download the pure files from the Korg website, but when you format a disk in the synth, apparently it is not readable anymore by the HxC FloppyEmulator software (only as raw), although a normal PC can read and write to a Korg formatted DD disk.

Thanks in Advance! Let's save this nice old synth! :)
Last edited by JackN on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackN

Re: Korg X2 (X3) problem with Gotek

Post by JackN »

Followup and solution:
It worked with the latest non-beta firmware, but the jumper on the Gotek has to be set to J1, not J0.

That really threw me off, because every other page I found said to put it to J0 for Korg.

It is working using PC format 720kb dd floppy files

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The adapter used may change the jumper setting to use.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

For the OLED :

https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... -oled.html
NOTE:
If the OLED screen doesn’t appear to work and if you are sure about the OLED wires connections, try to reset the Gotek : Shutdown the machine, press the Gotek’s right button, switch on the machine and keep the button pressed during ~5 seconds. This will clear the internals settings and force the long screen detection process. Some OLED screens with factory defects need this to be detected properly the first time.

JackN

Re: Korg X2 (X3) problem with Gotek (solved)

Post by JackN »

Thank you all!
As I said, the OLED was always working no problem.
And yes, maybe the 26pin to 34pin adapter used necessitated the jumper change. Basically the adapter I used would have worked on a stock Gotek drive without any need for jumper changes.

All in all: Korg X2 is working fine, too :)