Oberheim DPX1 floppy

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Oberheim DPX1 floppy

Post by Jeff »

tuf wrote: I also noticed that with both the 5.25 and the REV F HxC hooked up to the DPX power, the DPX malfunctions (the display blanks out). I think there might be too much power draw by the HxC to work with the other floppy attached.
No i don't believe this. the hxc just need some mA to work..
can make a small video of this ?

soundarchive

Re:

Post by soundarchive »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:40 pm
DPX file support added!

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... r_soft.zip

Please give me a feedback.
Hi Jeff,
It's been a long while since you first posted this, but I'm using the software v 2.2.2.1 and I don't see any option to select "Oberheim DPX" in the predefined disk layout menu. Am I missing something, or is it there under a different name?
Thanks!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by Jeff »

soundarchive wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:42 am
Jeff wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:40 pm
DPX file support added!

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... r_soft.zip

Please give me a feedback.
Hi Jeff,
It's been a long while since you first posted this, but I'm using the software v 2.2.2.1 and I don't see any option to select "Oberheim DPX" in the predefined disk layout menu. Am I missing something, or is it there under a different name?
Thanks!
It is possible that the Oberheim format description still missing in the list. Which file image are you trying to load ? (Note : DPX file format is not a raw file format -> Just drag & drop or Load the image !)

tuf

Post by tuf »

Wow I just got notified on an 8 year old thread :) Glad to see we're still talking about the DPX, I have two of them.

soundarchive

Post by soundarchive »

Jeff wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:35 am
It is possible that the Oberheim format description still missing in the list. Which file image are you trying to load ? (Note : DPX file format is not a raw file format -> Just drag & drop or Load the image !)
Thanks for getting back so quickly! So, I've got a bunch of DPX format floppies (not EII or Mirage; actual DPX floppies) that I've ripped using Omniflop. Now I've got a bunch of IMG files that I'm trying to convert to HFE via the HxC software. In that past when creating HFE files I've opened my IMG files as RAW, selected the correct predefined disk layout, and done the batch conversion. This has worked well for my Ensoniq Mirage and EPS floppy images. However, as I mentioned I'm not seeing the DPX in the predefined disk layouts, and as k-tracker mentioned in the first post, the DPX uses mixed sector sizes so I can't create a custom profile.

If I just open the IMG files with the "Load" button on the software (as opposed to treating it as a RAW image) it opens just fine, but the HFE files it creates can't be read by the DPX (they just get stuck at 000/080). Also, the HFE files created through this process are 2.08 mb, which is larger than the HFE files I've gotten from the RAW process I described (1.91 mb).

It seems like the solution would be to create a custom predefined disk layout for the DPX, so I can open the IMG files as RAW data and create the HFE from that, right? But let me know if there's anything else I should try. Thank you!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

soundarchive wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 pm
If I just open the IMG files with the "Load" button on the software (as opposed to treating it as a RAW image) it opens just fine, but the HFE files it creates can't be read by the DPX (they just get stuck at 000/080). Also, the HFE files created through this process are 2.08 mb, which is larger than the HFE files I've gotten from the RAW process I described (1.91 mb).
The size difference isn't a problem.

Have you set the raw files extension to .dpx ? Are you using an HxC hardware/firmware ?

soundarchive

Post by soundarchive »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:36 am

The size difference isn't a problem.

Have you set the raw files extension to .dpx ? Are you using an HxC hardware/firmware ?
I'm using the HxC2001 drive, bought new this past month. I haven't tried changing the file extension to .dpx, I'll try that and get back you to.

soundarchive

Post by soundarchive »

I renamed the IMG files to DPX files, opened the images (regularly, not as RAW) and converted them to HFE, and the images are playing in the DPX! The files are also 1.91 MB again. I would still love to see the Oberheim DPX in the predefined disk layouts, but thank you for the advice here and for your quick responses, I really appreciate it.