GOTEK with Yamaha SY99

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
jangrenner

GOTEK with Yamaha SY99

Post by jangrenner »

Dear forum,
I desperately need your help. I have been trying on my own for several weeks now, but nothing worked. So I hope to find a solution here, before I give up.
Firstly: I know NOTHING about programming/ flashing. Consider me a noob. I am a musician.

I have
- Yamaha SY99 synthesizer
- a Gotek USB floppy emulator device (three red LED digits, two little buttons and a green status LED). On the circuit board it says: SFRC922D
- an adapter cable to connect the Gotek to the SY's floppy connector (34 to something pins - bought as "adaptor cable for SY99" on Ebay)

I do not know which software has been flashed onto the Gotek, maybe none at all. Maybe it has been flashed to be used with a different synth (if that's somehow even possible). I don't even know how to find out.

I have formatted the USB stick with several different software (USB floppy manager v 1.40 (unknown company) and "virtual floppy format" by Ketron) to house 100 floppy folders with 720 KB each (the SY uses a 720 KB floppy).
I have tried several jumper settings (I have two jumpers available). I tried S0, S1, S0 + JA, S1 + JA, M0, S0 + M0, and I guess everything possible.

I managed to install the Gotek so that it lights up and accesses the USB pen drive I put in when switching on the SY99.

All I got from the SY99 display was either "BAD DISK" or "DISK NOT READY", no matter which virtual floppy folder I switched to. I tried 10 different USB pen drives that I have lying around here, everything from 2 GB to 128 GB capacity. None worked.

I have come to the point where I think my drive might have to be properly flashed in order to work with the SY99.

I am also not sure if I formatted the USB pen drives correctly, or if there are specific pen drives that I need to purchase.

Another assumption is that the Gotek model I chose is not suitable for the SY99. I heard that there are different hardware models, replacing 720 KB or 1.4 MB floppy drives. Maybe if I have bought a 1.4 MB model, all my efforts are in vain anyway?

My question/ request to this forum:

Is there anybody here that can help me with my specific setup (i.e. with preparing my specific Gotek device to work with the Yamaha SY99)?

I have plenty of (Corona-) time at the moment, so I am willing to spend all my time with following your guidance. Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Jan

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: GOTEK with Yamaha SY99

Post by Jeff »

First what can you read on the gotek screen without usb stick inserted ?

jangrenner

Post by jangrenner »

(First: Thanks for replying and helping me! :-) )

The display reads „000“ as soon as I switch on. When no USB pen drive is inserted, I cannot change those digits. Only with a USB pen drive inserted can I cycle through those digits withe either the right, left or both buttons.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jangrenner wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:56 am
(First: Thanks for replying and helping me! :-) )

The display reads „000“ as soon as I switch on. When no USB pen drive is inserted, I cannot change those digits. Only with a USB pen drive inserted can I cycle through those digits withe either the right, left or both buttons.
Ok then you need first to install the hxc firmware on this to have further support here : https://hxc2001.com/store/

jangrenner

Post by jangrenner »

Jeff wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:34 am
Ok then you need first to install the hxc firmware on this to have further support here : https://hxc2001.com/store/
Oh yes, I visited that site already. After reading through all the pages and downloaded everything seemingly relevant from their download page, reading through the text files submitted with the downloads, I must admit I understood next to nothing . I also watched several YouTube videos where people explain how they flashed a Gotek. This included a lot of heart surgery, aka soldering on the circuit board.. :shock: :( , which is why I ended up in this help forum. So I am afraid referring me back to those resources will not really help me. :roll:

I was hoping for someone to walk/ talk me through the single steps I have to take. I understood from those files and videos that there seem to be 3 ways of flashing:
1. Using a custom soldered serial-to-USB adaptor
2. Using a USB connector cable between Gotek and a PC
3. Inserting a specially prepared USB stick into the Gotek and pressing both buttons on start-up.

But my problem starts earlier, as described in my original post: I do not know if the Gotek model I purchased is working with the SY99 in the first place. Maybe it is one of those 1.4 MB models which I can never get to talk to the SY99 anyway?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jangrenner wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 am
Maybe it is one of those 1.4 MB models which I can never get to talk to the SY99 anyway?
With the hxc firmware ( https://hxc2001.com/store/ ), your gotek can talk to the sy99.

jangrenner

Post by jangrenner »

Hey Jeff,
I have a additional information concerning the display on start up.
In another forum I learned that by pressing both switches on the Gotek when switching it on, it would display the current firmware version. Mine reads

u01.126.F01

Does that mean that HxC firmware has been flashed on the device before? And if so, would that be compatible with the Yamaha SY99?