Kawai Q80 and the Gotek USB

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
PaulStahl

Kawai Q80 and the Gotek USB

Post by PaulStahl »

I wanted to start a new thread since the few others seem to be dealing with the SD emulator. These are my triumphs and troubles.. I started with a simple Gotek USB 3 digit floppy emulator and used a TTL USB programmer to flash the initial bootloader.. Here is the original page that got me started.. http://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic ... 1&t=103925 Everything went well and then I uploaded the HxC program to it .. the current version as of this writing i believe V3.1.23.1a .. Now the Q80 worked just fine with its original FD reading, writing, formatting.. I just wanted to upgrade.. I loaded the contents of the Kawai folder of this link to the root of my thumb drive.. https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... Images.zip and used the indexed config file to be able to scroll through virtual floppy's.. At first the Gotek did not want to work at all until i discovered i needed to move the jumper to S0 then it was up and running, green light indicating communication.. however.. this is where the fun begins..
I am able to see the 6 demo songs on each of the virtual disks but i am only able to work with the first 2.. i can load them and i can also save them provided i delete all of the other songs off one of the disks otherwise i get disk unavailable every time.. I loaded a couple of my songs into memory from the original FD and switched back to the GOTEK.. deleted all the demo songs off the virtual disk and tried to save one of my songs i had but it will not deal with those as well.. only the first two demo songs from the quick pack can i manipulate in any way..It will allow me to initiate a format from within the Q80 and will follow through but upon completion its disk unavailable again and it renders that virtual disk unusable at all ..I tried messing with the Emulator software and converted some of my .sng song files i had brought over to the computer from another Q80 software program i had.. transferred them to a .hfe file but the GOTEK wouldn't deal with any of these either.. Any thoughts or help appreciated... Paul

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Kawai Q80 and the Gotek USB

Post by Jeff »

Have you used the indexed mode ?

PaulStahl

Post by PaulStahl »

Jeff wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:47 am
Have you used the indexed mode ?
I am using the indexed mode.. My problem is similar to the other Kawai Q80 post so i tried using a different new cable but it still has the same problems so it must be something in the program.. It is working as far as reading and writing but only with the first 2 songs on the disc DR-550II.SNG
Trash808.SNG and as i said if i try to format from the Kawai it renders that virtual disc completely unusable and only displays disc unavailable .. could you tell anything from a formatted disc file? i could send that to you..

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I understand what is "DR-550II.SNG" since the emulator support only HFE or IMG/DSK files. Is it a typo or there is really an issue ?

Yes please share your images.

PaulStahl

Post by PaulStahl »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:38 am
I understand what is "DR-550II.SNG" since the emulator support only HFE or IMG/DSK files. Is it a typo or there is really an issue ?

Yes please share your images.
It is a typo .. in this file https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... Images.zip is the kawai Q-80 file which contains several HFE disc files to use each with the songs Dr-550II, Trash808, FJDance, Abracad<, Sof Sand, Bas-Rock.... These are the songs i was referring too.. i am only able to work with the first 2 songs in any way .. i can't save any of my own songs i create on the Kawai to a HFE disc file or format the HFE file from the Q80 as it will then say disc unavailable and i cant use it.. This forum will not allow me to add a file with the .HFE extension so i am not able to show you here a formatted HFE disc file using the Kawai Q80 to format it..

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Can you try these files ?
(remove DSKA0000.HFE from the stick if present)
Q80.zip
(28.55 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

PaulStahl

Post by PaulStahl »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:09 pm
Q80.zip
It still has the same problems .. i created my own blank HFE disc using the simulator software using the 3"5 720KB DSDD FAT12 setting and i was able to use it but it has the same problems as the discs with the sample songs.. I did discover that if i make my own song on the Q80 but keep it small like 4 bars it will save this.. It seems The HXC software on the gotek will only handle a few very small files per disc and you can not format an HFE disc file from the Q80.. Maybe something did not get loaded right when i installed the HXC software to the gotek emulator?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

PaulStahl wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:41 am
Jeff wrote:
Q80.zip
It still has the same problems .. i created my own blank HFE disc using the simulator software using the 3"5 720KB DSDD FAT12 setting and i was able to use it but it has the same problems as the discs with the sample songs.. I did discover that if i make my own song on the Q80 but keep it small like 4 bars it will save this.. It seems The HXC software on the gotek will only handle a few very small files per disc and you can not format an HFE disc file from the Q80.. Maybe something did not get loaded right when i installed the HXC software to the gotek emulator?
Please retry with another different usb stick with my DSKA0000.IMG and the CFG file.

PaulStahl

Post by PaulStahl »

Jeff wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:04 am
PaulStahl wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:41 am
Jeff wrote:
Q80.zip
Please retry with another different usb stick with my DSKA0000.IMG and the CFG file.
I tried using the IMG file and CFG with a different USB stick but it does the same thing as all the other HFE disc images unfortunately ..

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok. Is the original floppy drive working in this machine ?

PaulStahl

Post by PaulStahl »

Jeff wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:19 am
Yes the original floppy drive reads, writes and formats with no problems

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

PaulStahl wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:19 pm
Jeff wrote:
Please try this : press the right button on the gotek at power up to clear the internal settings. If still doesn't work please tell me which version you are using (press both buttons, choose "F" and read the digits).

PaulStahl

Post by PaulStahl »

Jeff wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:07 pm
PaulStahl wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Please try this : press the right button on the gotek at power up to clear the internal settings. If still doesn't work please tell me which version you are using (press both buttons, choose "F" and read the digits).
I cleared the internal settings but same problems.. these are the digits after choosing F 3 1 23 1

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

PaulStahl wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:17 am
Jeff wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:07 pm
PaulStahl wrote:

I cleared the internal settings but same problems.. these are the digits after choosing F 3 1 23 1
Ok you have the stable firmware version. This version is used by lot of q80 users without problem.

I suspect an hardware problem. Is the floppy ribbon the original one ?
I suspect that the track/head step is not working properly. I will provide you a firmware to see the head position on the gotek screen to diagnose the issue.

PaulStahl

Post by PaulStahl »

I bought a new 34 pin straight ribbon cable like the original and no change in the problems.. i look forward to trying the firmware to test it thank you just so you know the gotek i am using only has the 3 digit display