Korg T3ex problem

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
cdtmbu

Korg T3ex problem

Post by cdtmbu »

Hello,

I ordered a SD HXC emulator from lotharek last week. Today I got it and installed into my T3ex as an replacement for a died floppy.

1st issue is that the floppy cable has to be connected reversed (otherwise the T3 will show only drive not ready).
2nd issue is that I always get Data Error after a longer time (independant if I am trying to read or write a disk). Am I correct assuming that each position change of the emulated read head shall result in an audible information? There is no sound (sometimes there is only one short sound) coming from the piezo at the SD HxC.

Is this issue related to a slow SD card, to a bad power supply or to other reasons?

Since there is no description of the LEDs in the front I would assume the left one is for accessing the SD card and the right one is for power? After selecting a file the left LED remains on...

Furthermore I tried to convert some images created with Omniflop to HFE and had some problems. As a reference I add the CFG file I used for the SD HXC. Uploading the image file of a disk was impossibe due to size restrictions. To whom can I send it or what other medium can I use so that some forum user can download it.
Attachments
HXCSDFE.zip
Config file
(276 Bytes) Downloaded 719 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Korg T3ex problem

Post by Jeff »

Hi,

There is a new firmware available which allow you make a correct format from the T3ex!
Please update your firmware and try to format one of your HFE image.
After this send me back the HFE file.

(firmware in your email box !)

cdtmbu

Post by cdtmbu »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the answer. I appreciate your effort in helping us.

Making a correct hfe from the image file is only one step to a working solution. Since the SD HxC is not working in my T3ex (selftest as described in the service manual leads to a failure) I will not be able to test the resulting hfe.

Do you have some support available for the other questions I mentioned above?

Regards,
Chris

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

cdtmbu wrote:Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the answer. I appreciate your effort in helping us.

Making a correct hfe from the image file is only one step to a working solution. Since the SD HxC is not working in my T3ex (selftest as described in the service manual leads to a failure) I will not be able to test the resulting hfe.

Do you have some support available for the other questions I mentioned above?

Regards,
Chris
Sorry but i don't understand what do you mean.

Do you have tried to format one HFE file in the T3ex with the new firmware ?
If not please do it.

Then make the selftest.

cdtmbu

Post by cdtmbu »

Sorry. I got you wrong. I thought about an update of the windows executable... To convert my image files... As I checked my email I realised that you meant the firmware of the unit itself.

The problem I have is that the unit is not accepted from the T3 as a floppy drive. The T3 selftest shows an error. So I do not had the opportunity to test the image files I already have (T3 disks as omniflop image and DSM-1 files as dsk-files). There is no stepping sound (sometimes only one short sound) when the T3 tries to access the files on the floppy and both LEDs will light continously. The left one will flicker when choosing the hfe file to use and remains on after selecting it. The right one is continously on (I expect its function as a power available LED).

Hopefully the update will result in a working device. In that case I can give you a hfe file formatted by the T3. But it will take until this evening.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Chris

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

If after selecting the HFE file you always see "RA ........... S:1" On the lcd, this means that the floppy cable is not connected to the right way.

cdtmbu

Post by cdtmbu »

I do not think that this is the problem. If the cable is correct attached to the T3 (nose at the cable socket into the hole of the SD HxC plug) it responds at once with "Drive not ready". If it is reversed the T3 tries to read / save data...

And as far as I remember there is a different thing in the display (maybe Title of file in line 1 and D00/T000 in line two) after selecting the hfe file.

But can please confirm or correct my assumptions (maybe I am blind but I do not find a description in the documentation:
- Is it correct that there should be sound audible if the disk uses its emulated stepper motor?
- Left LED (looking at the front, it is rev F in 3.5" housing) is for access to Disk?
- Right LED is for power at the SD HxC?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

cdtmbu wrote:I do not think that this is the problem. If the cable is correct attached to the T3 (nose at the cable socket into the hole of the SD HxC plug) it responds at once with "Drive not ready". If it is reversed the T3 tries to read / save data...
The "Drive not ready" may be caused by other settings. So before please check you don't have a permanent "RA ........... S:1" on the lcd.

cdtmbu

Post by cdtmbu »

Installed the new firmware. Now I see a small reaction of the unit. When I try to format a file I hear a stepping sound, a change of Track and Side is visible on the screen...

After Track 79 it gets back to track 0 and the T3 ends with "Data Error" :-(

Reading a disk from a DSM-1 into the T3 is not possible. Stepping sound is not audible and Track and Side does not change. The T3 reacts after a certain time with "Data Error".

I sent you the requested files anyway.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

cdtmbu wrote:Installed the new firmware. Now I see a small reaction of the unit. When I try to format a file I hear a stepping sound, a change of Track and Side is visible on the screen...

After Track 79 it gets back to track 0 and the T3 ends with "Data Error" :-(

Reading a disk from a DSM-1 into the T3 is not possible. Stepping sound is not audible and Track and Side does not change. The T3 reacts after a certain time with "Data Error".

I sent you the requested files anyway.
According to the T3 user manual, this machine use HD (1.44MB) floppy disk. The HFE i got was in DD format.
Please retry with the HFE present in your email box.

And please tell me which floppy disk drive was used in your machine and the jumper setting used on this floppy disk drive..

cdtmbu

Post by cdtmbu »

Just trying.

The drive is an ALPS DFP723E17A without jumpers or settings. As far as I know it is not compatible to normal drives.

cdtmbu

Post by cdtmbu »

Thanks. Formatting works and even saving works. I send you the files.

cdtmbu

Post by cdtmbu »

I send you also an image file from one T3 disk. Can you please tell me how to convert the omniflop image to a hfe?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

cdtmbu wrote:Thanks. Formatting works and even saving works. I send you the files.
Thanks ! :D
We have now a perfect bit per bit image of the T3 disk format !

Can you take some pictures and videos of the HxC in the T3ex ?

Which jumper setting is used ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

cdtmbu wrote:I send you also an image file from one T3 disk. Can you please tell me how to convert the omniflop image to a hfe?
Let me add the Korg T3ex disk geometry and i will tell you.
See you in 30m/1hour ;)