Extracting and printing file details within .hfe images

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
squirmish

Extracting and printing file details within .hfe images

Post by squirmish »

Hello. I've finally got around to converting my 130 16+ floppies to .hfe images. Now realise I should have thought about this first: how to get the disk contents from the .hfe files on to paper?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Extracting and printing file details within .hfe images

Post by Jeff »

squirmish wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 am
Hello. I've finally got around to converting my 130 16+ floppies to .hfe images. Now realise I should have thought about this first: how to get the disk contents from the .hfe files on to paper?
With the hfe file name ?

squirmish

Post by squirmish »

Sorry, Jeff, I hope this clearer: Let's say one of the files on the SD card in the emulator is SR085.hfe and I'd written all the files on the original floppy label, and "my favourite screech" is one of those. Ideally I'd have a searchable spreadsheet or similar to know which disk image it's in so so I'd know which one to load into the 16+.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

squirmish wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:06 am
Sorry, Jeff, I hope this clearer: Let's say one of the files on the SD card in the emulator is SR085.hfe and I'd written all the files on the original floppy label, and "my favourite screech" is one of those. Ideally I'd have a searchable spreadsheet or similar to know which disk image it's in so so I'd know which one to load into the 16+.
ok. This is something doable with dos/amiga formatted disk, but unfortunately the EPS use another file system.
in principle this is something doable, but a software able to "understand" this file system must be created. Maybe some already exist.

but maybe that a simple string search "engine" is enough for you ?

squirmish

Post by squirmish »

Maybe it is! But I'm not sure what you mean in terms of what it could find, and if that's something I'd have to make (I'm not a programmer). And I'd pay for something like this. I'd be surprised if this hasn't come up before.
BTW I asked Gary Giebler if his s/w for creating/editing eps files on PC could read the hfe files, but he's unsure what they are. Maybe there's something we could show him.

another_SD1

Post by another_SD1 »

This is possible.
You have to convert first the hfe to img, then use a tool like epsdisk or epslin or endiskex.
I don't remember exactly whih one can list the files, but all those tools are free and you can try them.

You can even view that img file with a text viewer and in he beginning you will see he file list between strange binary chars.

squirmish

Post by squirmish »

Thanks! I'll try that. How do I convert the hfe to img?

another_SD1

Post by another_SD1 »

You use the same tool which converts img to hfe.
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... r_soft.zip

You're welcome.

squirmish

Post by squirmish »

OK - I'm using v2.1.8.0. I can't see any way to convert hfe back to img, and opening hfe in notepad shows nothing intelligible - apart from the first word: HXCPICFE.
Any other suggestions?