HXC in Ensoniq SD1 questions. Help needed please

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HXC in Ensoniq SD1 questions. Help needed please

Post by Jeff »

NateofCA wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:25 pm
Yes the files I got from the drive seller work. I think I may have had to format one first though using the vfx. I only tried once as I was more interested in using my existing vfx disks converted to usb. Thanks
Send me a working image and an image you want to convert. (hxc2001 at hxc2001 dot com)

NateofCA

Post by NateofCA »

Ok I'll send this evening from home. Thanks.

NateofCA

Post by NateofCA »

I read on the HxC2001 website that USB floppy emulator can only be read from and not written to. Does that mean I won't be able to save things to the drive using it in my VfFX-SD either? Seems like a stupid question to ask but if that's true the emulator is pretty useless to use in my VFX.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

NateofCA wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:53 pm
I read on the HxC2001 website that USB floppy emulator can only be read from and not written to. Does that mean I won't be able to save things to the drive using it in my VfFX-SD either? Seems like a stupid question to ask but if that's true the emulator is pretty useless to use in my VFX.
This is not the same usb device. the standalone hxc drives have the write support

NateofCA

Post by NateofCA »

Jeff did you get the email and attachments I sent 3 days ago? I tested saving a file to a couple of the HFE files the drive seller sent me on a USB stick. It's very unpredictable. I saved a sound file and said it was successful. I was able to load it back and save it to a location on the synth however when I tried another I get disk errors. I could go back and write the errors down but not sure it's worth it. I'm an electrical engineer myself and it seems like there's some bus timing or handshaking problems going on. I've had the drive a month now and put too much time into trying to get the HFE files on the USB stick to work as well as trying to convert my old disks to files that can be read by the drive and synth.
Last edited by NateofCA on Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

No i didn't received anything from you.

What you should try :
-> Another usb stick ( i mean a different one : a different brand and model)
-> Try to use the IMG images.

(btw your error description may also be related to a disk change detection issue...)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Attached a VFX hfe file.
VFXBLANK.zip
(25.05 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

And there a IMG (.VFX) image and the HxC Firmware for Gotek supporting these files directly. This "format" should work better with slow flash media :
VFXBLANK.VFX.zip
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
HxCUSBFE_VFX.UPD
(90.5 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
To update the firmware on your device with a FAT32/FAT16/FAT12 USB flash stick/key:

-> Remove any older *.upd file from the stick (if present).
-> Copy the attached new firmware file (*.upd) to the stick/key.
-> Insert the USB stick/key into the emulator and press both buttons.
-> Power up the device and keep the buttons pressed during at least 2 seconds.
-> Wait some seconds... its done !

Note: Once your new firmware is flashed you may need to clear the drive internal settings
to use some of your new default settings : Press the right button at power up to clear them.

Possible bootstrap error codes:

Error 1 : (blink 1 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) No entry point (->no software flashed)
Error 2 : (blink 2 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) USB init error.
Error 3 : (blink 3 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) FAT error.
Error 4 : (blink 4 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) UPD File not found!
Error 5 : (blink 5 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad UPD File header! (bad file)
Error 6 : (blink 6 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad data crc! (file corrupted)
Error 7 : (blink 7 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad data size!
Error 8 : (blink 8 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Write error (STM32 flash error)

NateofCA

Post by NateofCA »

I downloaded the attachments and will try the things you said. I did try one of the HFE files on another USB stick and the drive didn't recognize it's existence on the drove at all. I wondered if it had something to do with the stick format being a different FAT than the FAT32 stick that was sent to me. I have attached a screen shot of the email I sent you the other day with a zip attached. I sent it to the email address you told me to use and it didn't come back undeliverable. Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot_Yahoo Mail_Nate.jpg
Screenshot_Yahoo Mail_Nate.jpg (88.15 KiB) Viewed 3754 times

NateofCA

Post by NateofCA »

Good news Jeff. The file you made available today for download called VFXBLANK.ZIP works great in my VFX disk emulator. I was able to save and load several sound files and and a bank of 60 sounds and reload them successfully. Thanks very much! Next if I can figure out how to convert my EDV or IMG files to HFE using setup or header info from that file I will be very happy. Maybe you can help me with that before I figure it out but I am going to work on it now. If I figure it out I will let you know.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

EDV files are directly supported by the HxC software. Just drag & drop the file on the main window and export it to hfe.
You can use the batch converter to convert all your EDV to HFE in one pass. No setting to change !

For IMG image files you need to use a disk layout : Press the ""Load Raw image"" button and select the "Ensoniq EPS 3"5 DD Floppy Disk" Predefined Disk Layout. Then you press the "Load RAW file" button. You can also use the batch converter (Set "Treat input files as RAW files" in this case).

And there is no hex editor to use :)

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... t_beta.zip

NateofCA

Post by NateofCA »

Thanks very much Jeff. Converting the EDV files worked. I thought I had tried that but apparently was trying to convert IMG files or doing something else making life more difficult for myself. I let the Ebay seller I bought the USB drive know that his blank HFE files did not work and he should download the one you supplied above and to refer to your instructions for converting EDV files. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!