Oberheim DPX-1 Problem

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu Emulator I & II support
swissdoc

Re: Oberheim DPX-1 Problem

Post by swissdoc »

pedrozakatchku wrote:I am bit off topic here now but I would like to ask you, have you ever compared the sound of DPX-1 loaded with Emulator II sounds and the same sounds played from the original Emulator II?
I have an EMAX and the DPX-1, no real Emulator II. I do not bother so much about hitting the sound 100% in this case. Samplers are just some fun addition to the synths I have.
pedrozakatchku wrote:Have you already tried to load these?
No, no time right now, but I would have expected that loading them from Drive B (i.e. the 5.25" one) should work. Jeff told me to try to force the interface mode into the embedded menu : remove the SD, press select -> Interface CFG, choose Shugart. See http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... =16&t=1603

Not tested that, though.

pedrozakatchku

Post by pedrozakatchku »

swissdoc wrote:
pedrozakatchku wrote:I am bit off topic here now but I would like to ask you, have you ever compared the sound of DPX-1 loaded with Emulator II sounds and the same sounds played from the original Emulator II?
I have an EMAX and the DPX-1, no real Emulator II. I do not bother so much about hitting the sound 100% in this case. Samplers are just some fun addition to the synths I have.
pedrozakatchku wrote:Have you already tried to load these?
No, no time right now, but I would have expected that loading them from Drive B (i.e. the 5.25" one) should work. Jeff told me to try to force the interface mode into the embedded menu : remove the SD, press select -> Interface CFG, choose Shugart. See http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... =16&t=1603

Not tested that, though.
I tried as per above but it does not work for me.

I have just walked through almost all the sounds I have got for my DPX-1 and I must say that many of them sound amazing! I have also got other synths (mainly the vintage ones) and DPX is one of the best sounding from them. It will perfectly fit into the style of music I do. Emax must be great. Another Depeche Mode machine! :)

Synth boy

Post by Synth boy »

pedrozakatchku wrote:
swissdoc wrote:You need to provide some parameters to this command line tool, it is written to you command window when you run the e2dpx.exe without parameters, in the end you see some examples. Tool is not requiring an installed disk drive:

Code: Select all

USAGE: E2DPX <B|S> [<EII-file>] [<DPX-file>]

with: B        = Batch  (all EII files in folder will be processed)
           S        = Single (only the input EII file will be processed)
           EII-file = Input  EII file (required in Single mode,
                                       ignored in Batch mode)
           DPX-file = Output DPX file (optional in Single mode,
                                       ignored in Batch mode)

[Note 1: put filenames between " " if they contain spaces]
           [Note 2: filenames should not exceed 256 characters]

e.g.: E2DPX S PIANO.EII GRAND.DPX
            (will convert file PIANO.EII to GRAND.DPX)
           E2DPX S "PIANO 1.EII"
            (will convert file PIANO 1.EII to PIANO 1.DPX)
           E2DPX B
            (will convert all EII files in the folder)
Thank you very much for an explanation. I have just converted the files successfully :)
Apologies if I am posting to this subject too late. Could somebody please advise me how to run the e2dpx.exe without parameters. I am having problems trying to run e2dpx.exe where it starts off with 'incorrect parameter list'. I have a bunch of EII files that I desperately need to convert to DPX files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

swissdoc

Post by swissdoc »

You have to use parameters, otherwise it will not work. Just follow the examples. Read carefully the text given in the postings above. I will not copy&paste it again ;-) It is all there, really.

sleestack808

Post by sleestack808 »

pedrozakatchku, would you do this for my dpx-1 ? i cant make any sense of the stuff. i have the same library you have. Did you buy it from the british man on youtube?
Id pay for you to do this. i dont even know the proper way of loading the Eii files onto SD. Im in the usa. Thanks

motionboy

Post by motionboy »

Hi everyone,
I'm trying the same here, but with the difference that I like to install an USB Gotek Hxc Floppy Emulator into the upper 3,5 Floppy Slot of the DPX-1.

I know now that the Data Cable is Flipped, but in my opinion the power cable is correct in the upper slot.

I tried to read some dpx into image converted files but the dpx-1 does not recognize these kind of files.

tried the shuggard setting - nothing happens

Any ideas or suggestions?

best,
ray

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

motionboy wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:31 pm
Hi everyone,
I'm trying the same here, but with the difference that I like to install an USB Gotek Hxc Floppy Emulator into the upper 3,5 Floppy Slot of the DPX-1.

I know now that the Data Cable is Flipped, but in my opinion the power cable is correct in the upper slot.

I tried to read some dpx into image converted files but the dpx-1 does not recognize these kind of files.

tried the shuggard setting - nothing happens

Any ideas or suggestions?

best,
ray
The dpx 1 have 2 FDC controllers and both can't read the same disk format.
What are you trying to read exactly ? An E-mu disk ? If so i think that the FDC connected to the 3"5 bay is not able to read E-mu Emulator disks (unless someone tell me that i am wrong).
Try to use the 5"1/4 ribbon connection instead.

rotomtom

Post by rotomtom »

Hi, the easiest way to get your EII images working for your Oberheim DPX-1 with Gotek HxC drive in the 3,5" slot (GOTEK /w OLED in normal mode) is by using the DPX format. Here is the how-to:

Convert your .EII images with DPXTOOLS (EMXP) - E2DPX.EXE. This generates .DPX files.
Then use the batch converter menu in the HxCFloppyEmulator tool to generate .HFE files out of the .DPX files.

This tool also supports multiple subdirectories with its batch process, very handy! But the E2DPX.exe command line tool only works in the directory specified (I did not find a parameter like /s to work in multiple subdirectories. Maybe I've missed something or the next version will support this (any hints welcome :). So meanwhile if you have multiple directories, you have to do the conversion in each subdirectory separately.
Note: If you are using a HxC floppy emulator with your EII and want to use the DPX-1 using your sound files, too, then you first need to convert the .HFE files with the latest EMXP tool (emxpn.exe) to .EII files (Manage Emu Files / Manage Emulator-II files / manage Emulator-II HxC Floppy Disk Images / change folder / select HFE file / copy / Copy to Emulator-II Bank File(s) / copy/convert automated (1.) / ...).
Have fun!