Did I crash my Emax II? Please Insert Disc Message

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu Emax support
GCourtnall

Did I crash my Emax II? Please Insert Disc Message

Post by GCourtnall »

Hello everyone,

maybe someone can help me out. I'm now stuck for two days with my e-max II not working anymore.

I've bought him two weeks ago. He had still the original floppy in it, and no specials added. He booted correctly and everything was fine, except, that I had no discs or anything to put into, and no connection to my pc. The Banks on the Emax worked fine and I could toy around with them.

So I bought an SD HxC Floppy Emulator and an EmuSer. First I installed the EmuSer and tried to get it going. I could receive files from the E-Max but couldn't load anything into it. Fine, so I replaced the floppy drive with the new HxC Emulator. And everything went downhill from there.
Since booting it the first time with the emulator I got the "Please Insert Disc" Error Message. The STOP Light is constantly on at the E-Max
So, I removed the HxC and put the Floppy drive back in... Error Massage again This time it was the "Checking floppy" and the E-Max stuck with that message. Disconnecting the floppy lead to the same Error Message.

Now I have the HxC back in and I get the "Please Insert Disk" error again, with the stop light ON. The Emax starts, the HxC drive starts and thats it. I can click on the HxC for fun and switch through the files, but nothing happens on the emax anymore. I turned the floppy cable, but that didn't got any result either.

So my sad question is: Did I crash the Emax with all the new equipment? .

I have a lot of files on the SD Card in the Main folder :

035-ZD736-ElectricBass_em1
TR808_EM2
EmaxII_OS_2_14_ZD777
Emax_SE_Bios_Disc.hfe
Emax_Bios_Disc.hfe
HXCSDFE.CFG
emaxos.emx

I have converted the following files with the OS File, and without, tried both, didn't work. They are also on the SD Card:
EmaxII_OS_2_14_ZD777_HFE.hfe
TR808_EM2.hfe
035-ZD736-ElectricBass_em1.hfe

Has anyone an idea of what I could try out? As you can see, I'm by no means an engineer. I'm just a lost User :-)

I would appreciate any kind of advise.

Thank you in advance

Greetings from Germany

Lars

GCourtnall

Re: Did I crash my Emax II? Please Insert Disc Message

Post by GCourtnall »

One addition: the jumper is set to ID0A

mondo1976

Re: Did I crash my Emax II? Please Insert Disc Message

Post by mondo1976 »

I would go back to the original floppy and try to suss out what's wrong with the system and forget the HxC thing for now. The true floppy is going to be easier for troubleshooting because there are no configuration issues -- it should just be plug 'n play. If it's not working after going back to how it was prior to the upgrade attempt then something needs to be re-examined and/or fixed.

Possibilities for the original FDD not working are mainly a bad ribbon cable. I don't know if you grabbed the ribbon cable to remove it or if you were careful and only pulled by the plastic connector, but it's conceivable there's a break in one or more of the signal lines now where it was initially good before the tinkering.

Other possibilities would be a very coincidental power issue or the death of the floppy controller. But... seeing as worst-case scenario would be the floppy controller then it's not too bad because they are standard and cheap ICs.