SP1200 + Gotek Boot up quirks

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu SP1200 support
JaeOne3345

SP1200 + Gotek Boot up quirks

Post by JaeOne3345 »

Hi, I finally installed a Gotek into my SP1200.

I am trying to understand behavior during the boot up process.

My SP1200 can be booted up from DSK0000 and DSK0001 images, but not other images allow me to boot the machine. It begins to load and simply stops.

If I start the machine with 0000 or 0001 and then save to other slots, I can load (not boot) whatever is saved on those HFE images that are not bootable.

For example, I can boot the machine on 0000. Sample something, save it to 0025. If I were to reboot the machine, I have to do so using 0000 or 0001, and then I can switch to 0025 or anything else and load just fine.

Is this normal behavior? Forgive me if so. Just seems like I should be able to boot from any image so long as the operating system is saved within that image.

Thanks,
Jared

JaeOne3345

Re: SP1200 + Gotek Boot up quirks

Post by JaeOne3345 »

Actually figured it out. The problem lies in me being an idiot. lol.

I have been using the SP1200 for nearly 20 years, and every time I format a floppy I copy the OS to the disk so every projectI have is saved with the operating system enabling me to boot from that disk. It always asked "copy software? Y/N" and I would always choose yes.

I realized that only the first couple images provide the OS, while others are simply just blank disks to hold sounds and sequences. Everyone I know who uses an SP copies the OS to disk when they format a new floppy.

All good. Now I know I need to use the HFE image with the OS on it for all future projects.

My bad.

hektekbeats

Post by hektekbeats »

:?: Greetings, can you explain the step by step process after you physically installed the gotek in your sp1200. I would like to know the best way to format the usb stick properly and drag my sp1200 floppy disk sound files into the usb stick and since they all have different titles do they go in their own section as partition? I would appreciate the information. Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have you an HxC floppy emulator or at least a Gotek flashed with the HxC firmware ( https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... -firmware/ )?

hektekbeats

Post by hektekbeats »

Yes I did without the usb memory stick connected I used a USB-A to USB-A from the Gotek to the computer, I wanted to know the next step in its order, how do you format the USB memory stick to work on the sp1200 and also I downloaded the floppy disk sound library from http://zine.r-massive.com/emu-sp1200-fa ... e-library/
the files are now on my mac dektop, now I would like to know how to get those files into the USB memory stick so it can read on go tek in the sp1200. Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I don't have you in my users list. Please contact me by email : hxc2001 at hxc2001 dot com