SD Rev F troubles

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu SP1200 support
EyeBee

SD Rev F troubles

Post by EyeBee »

Hi,

I bought a SD FloppyEmulator Rev F from Lotharek, but having trouble getting it to work with my SP1200.
When I start up the SP the Floppy Emulator starts "Loading software", but it doesn't actually
load up anything... so it seems to hang stuck while "loading software".

I have found one topic on the forum where someone had a similar issue, specifically the voltage being
too low. I also couldn't get the firmware to update properly inside the SP, so I took the Floppy
Emulator out the SP and place it in my PC to run the firmware update. However, after the update,
it still doesn't get through the "loading software" phase.

I have used the latest firmware, but not sure if I would need to tingle with it and maybe use a specific
CFG file to use to solve that voltage issue.
I am using the QuickInstall FloppyDiskImages for the SP1200 on a FAT32 formatted 16GB sandisk card that
came with the Lotharek Emulator. I have two of those and tried both SD cards, without any luck.

Any ideas? Help would be highly appreciated

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: SD Rev F troubles

Post by Jeff »

What is the floppy emulator behaviour ?

EyeBee

Post by EyeBee »

Hi Jeff,

The emulator itself seems to be working as should, except that it doesn't communicate with the SP.
I am able to browse through the content of the disks and even pick files by using the three buttons
on the emulator itself. So I can pick/mount files but they won't actually load up. When I try to
direct the emulator from within the disk panel on the SP, there is no response.

So my guess is that the firmware isn't working correctly. I will try to run the update again today.
Any suggestions or recommendations on how to run the update and what settings to use would be
welcome. Thank you!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

EyeBee wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 am
Hi Jeff,

The emulator itself seems to be working as should, except that it doesn't communicate with the SP.
I am able to browse through the content of the disks and even pick files by using the three buttons
on the emulator itself. So I can pick/mount files but they won't actually load up. When I try to
direct the emulator from within the disk panel on the SP, there is no response.

So my guess is that the firmware isn't working correctly. I will try to run the update again today.
Any suggestions or recommendations on how to run the update and what settings to use would be
welcome. Thank you!
The firmware is the same since many years, so i don't think that this is the issue.
What can you read on the emulator lcd after you have selected an file image ? "RA XXX/XXX S:1" ?

EyeBee

Post by EyeBee »

Fixed. I took the drive out, placed it in another machine, did the firmware upgrade again on a freshly formatted SD card, and it seems to work now.
At least I am now able to load data, the OS most importantly. Will run some more tests later today.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Then you should really fix your SP1200 PSU...