Yamaha RM1x (HxC Floppy Drive Emulator Rev. F) => WORKS!!!

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
code-b

Yamaha RM1x (HxC Floppy Drive Emulator Rev. F) => WORKS!!!

Post by code-b »

Hello,

I have tried the whole day (09.02.2013) to make the "HxC Floppy Drive Emulator Rev. F" to work with the Yamaha RM1x, but (honestly) I failed! (in the first step)

I skip the opening of the case from the Yamaha RM1x, that's an easy step. I start after connecting data and power cable to the emulator.

So at first I used a 2GB SD card (Transcend). Formated before with FAT32 and copied the "QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages" with the "SDHxCFE_PC_1.44MB" files (a lot of empty Floppy images and a default config file) to the SD card Then I started the RM1x go to the Disc menu and tried to save all data.

Unfortunately this did not worked and some strange errors happen, but in the end the Transcend 2GB was the initial problem (maybe faulty).

So I decided to contact the guys from lotharek (http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=42).

To put it anticipates they (especifically one technical supporter, Jeff, one of two Site Admin of this board) help me to get this emulator to work! [=> Thanks a lot to this premium support service on saturday evening! :D <=]

Here is the chain of events:
After first contact I send a lot of information (like SD card manufacturer, type and size, Floppy Drive Model, ...) to the supporter.
The initially used Transcend SD 2BG seems to be not working properly, because of some strange errors.
Atfer choosing the Floppy image file, the image file was loaded (or mounted) and after 1 sec. unloaded?!?
The supporters guess was, that the Transcend card is faulty. So a new SD(HC) card was need to be used (here: I use a SanDisc Extreme Class 10 16BG card).
With this new card the image was loaded well and we tried some different jumper settings (up to all 4 jumpers "ON", but no it was not the last settings ;-) )
Thereafter all jumpers were set to ON, this made that it worked 50%.
The virtual Floppy disc was recognized, but on save the RM1x raises a well known error (from the real old flobbies):
"Bad Disc! Format Now? [Yes/No]"

I continued experimeting with the settings of the emulator (Interface Type, Bitrate, Track Step, ...).
After reaching the "Track-Step"-Settings (Single or Double is chooseable), I switch from double to single.
This setting made the RM1x in the end to save all date to the virtual disc.
(After loading the before saved All-Data it work also)

Summary for the correct settings:
==========================

Jumper Settings:
only ID1A is "ON" (all the others are "OFF")

Interface Type:
IBM PC 1.44 (HD)

Bitrate:
500Kbit/s

Track Step:
Single

Hint:
1. use the Hxc Floppy Software to customize your config ==> https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... r_soft.zip
2. use the pregenerated empty Floppy discs (IBM PC 1.44) ==> https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip
3. use a SDHC card (from my point of view)

Again, thanks a lot for this great support!

And for all other RM1x users, I can only say one thing:
Get this emulator and get rid of the old and faulty Floppy discs! :)
Attachments
Yamaha RM1x with integrated Flobby emulator. (overview)
Yamaha RM1x with integrated Flobby emulator. (overview)
Yamaha_RM1x_Flobby_Emulator_02.jpg (135.92 KiB) Viewed 16524 times
Yamaha RM1x with integrated Flobby emulator. (SDHC card in use; flobby file mounted)
Yamaha RM1x with integrated Flobby emulator. (SDHC card in use; flobby file mounted)
Yamaha_RM1x_Flobby_Emulator_03.jpg (75.83 KiB) Viewed 16524 times
Yamaha RM1x with integrated Flobby emulator. (writing to SDHC card)
Yamaha RM1x with integrated Flobby emulator. (writing to SDHC card)
Yamaha_RM1x_Flobby_Emulator_04.jpg (79.8 KiB) Viewed 16524 times

floppyme

Re: Yamaha RM1x (HxC Floppy Drive Emulator Rev. F) => WORK

Post by floppyme »

Hello !
Thank you for sharing your information here.
I am an user of an RM1X myself, I found it to be one of the best midi sequencers on the market, even if it is older and has no sampling options.
Have updated the unit also with an Floppy emulator from Lotharek some days ago.

Have to add some information here - Because my emulator did not work as I expected from the start
- It works fine now - But I had several problems with the device.

I followed your tips her and switched on only Jumper 1 - Have to say my new floppy emulator has no jumpers but tiny microswitches.

The floppy emulator was recognized by the RM1x, but at first I could not read any images or files at all.
What I found out and is not mentioned in the forum up to now :
- You have to format every virtual floppy file with the RM1x manually, only then it does work fine for me here.

- If I do not follow this : - I can copy files to an floppy image from the PC, the RM1x sees the files, and shows the size in the menu, but it cannot load
any file - I would always get an "illegal file" message when loading these patterns and songs.
You can store data to such a disk, and you will not get any error message when saving the files :
- But these files sometimes also were not loadable by the RM1x afterwards. This was really tricky and troublesome !
So I do think this hint / information might be important here to all other users with the same machine !

I also painted the protruding silver metal parts (the sides) of the floppy emulator casing with black felt marker, to me this looks much better. My floppy emulator
now only protrudes about 1-1,5 mm on the front - I tried all tricks but the position of the mounting holes allowed no better positioning here. But it is OK .

Hope this helps, Volker

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

floppyme wrote: - You have to format every virtual floppy file with the RM1x manually, only then it does work fine for me here.
Which files images are you using ?

floppyme

Post by floppyme »

Sorry for my late answer - I did not receive an automatic information when a reply to my message was made -
I was used to this from other forums I visit regularily.

I did use the Standard PC Floppy files from your Website

This was the "SDHxCFE_PC_1.44MB.zip" file which is 5027 kB in size when it was zipped
- I did unpack these files - This produced an folder called "SDHxCFE_PC_1.44MB" on my harddisk
which contained the "HXCSDFE.CFG" configuration file and the 100 "Empty_Disk_XXX.hfe" files
- I copied the contents of this folder to my SDHC card - I did use an 8GB SDHC Card from Sandisk

- With my floppy emulator I can load the floppy files from 00 to number 99 manually, and the I can use them
with my RM1X

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

floppyme wrote:Sorry for my late answer - I did not receive an automatic information when a reply to my message was made -
I was used to this from other forums I visit regularily.

I did use the Standard PC Floppy files from your Website

This was the "SDHxCFE_PC_1.44MB.zip" file which is 5027 kB in size when it was zipped
- I did unpack these files - This produced an folder called "SDHxCFE_PC_1.44MB" on my harddisk
which contained the "HXCSDFE.CFG" configuration file and the 100 "Empty_Disk_XXX.hfe" files
- I copied the contents of this folder to my SDHC card - I did use an 8GB SDHC Card from Sandisk

- With my floppy emulator I can load the floppy files from 00 to number 99 manually, and the I can use them
with my RM1X
The 1.44MB pack was updated. Let me know if this is better.