A potential new user of your products

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
Antuan

A potential new user of your products

Post by Antuan »

Hey.

I just signed up here, i feel if i am not well understood because i use google translate although i understand a little English. I am Spanish, from Barcelona.

My case is: i have an ASR-10 for the first time that has stopped it was dead, but i managed to fix it. Everything except the floppy. Now I get to get the message "PLEASE INSERT DISK", but does not seem to load the operating system.

My original OS disk is broken, and copies have long been gathering dust. My EPROMS are 1.0. I wonder if the acquisition of your floppy emulator work on my sampler. If you could come with an SD card with the appropriate operating system built to be "plug and play" Well, now this is all I want to ask the experts around here, to see if I have good news.

Regards and congratulations for your work.
Attachments
DSCI0173.jpg
DSCI0173.jpg (96.84 KiB) Viewed 11448 times

Antuan

Re: A potential new user of your products

Post by Antuan »

Hello again.

I just purchased the 1.5 to SYNTAUR EPROM's. Take longer than a week to arrive.

a Greeting

Antuan

Post by Antuan »

Hello again.

Just make payment through Paypal for the HxC version F. I hope not long in coming and that everything works properly.

a Greeting

Jeff_HxC2001

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

Antuan wrote:Hello again.

Just make payment through Paypal for the HxC version F. I hope not long in coming and that everything works properly.

a Greeting
On ASR 10 no problem ;)

Antuan

Post by Antuan »

Hi Jeff.

I hope so.

For now I have the 2 GB SD card, i will start working with the software to see if i can get the operating system.
I will keep you informed.

A Greeting.

Antuan

Post by Antuan »

Hello.

I continue my odyssey "ASR-10".

This morning i have received the package with the HxC emulator version F.

I have struggled inserted into the ASR-10, as it is a little larger than the original floppy. I had to iron out and dispel various plastic parts, otherwise it is impossible to put in place of the floppy.

But, as it turns out that the ROM's 1.5b Syntaur sent me were defective (ASR not start with them), i had to find an image of the operating system 1.25 in the net, which is compatible with the ROM's 1.0.

I think i've done correctly the images on the SD card, because the HxC recognizes. But when I select the image "asr125os_exe_hfe" in the emulator, the screen goes ASR say "LOADING SYSTEM", which is progress, but there remains the thing with that message forever.

What may be happening now, what am I doing wrong? and ...

Is there a way that when you turn the ASR directly load your operating system?

Thank you.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Email sent.
Antuan wrote:Hello.

Is there a way that when you turn the ASR directly load your operating system?
Yes : STARTUPA.HFE

Antuan

Post by Antuan »

Thanks Jeff.

But until I get them to resend any of Syntaur ROMS 1.5, and that work, I can only use the OS 1.25.

The problem is that the ASR-10 does not load the O.S. Although the display shows "LOADING SYSTEM", HxC lights remain fixed, the numbers of the screen do not move, and this "lock" is permanent and infinite.

A Greeting.

Antuan

Post by Antuan »

Hello again.

Please, where do i get the file STARTUPA.HFE? more i read the manual or look on the internet can not find it anywhere.

A Greeting.

Antuan

Post by Antuan »

Hey.

Now i have come to mind what may be happening here, if you can have any connection.

Yesterday I discovered that apparently, 2 of 4 30-pin simms which is equipped with my ASR-10 (is the old, 4 Mb total memory) do not work well, because if the transfer to the standard slots, the display of the ASR-10 does not show anything.

On the other hand, i note that the HFE files always occupy 3,921 Kb.

The strange thing is that the ASR-10 came from the factory with 2 Mb of RAM, and there was space to put the OS and also some sounds.

That is, the original file ASR125OS.EDA measures 166 Kb, and to become ASR125OS.HFE occupies 3,921 Kb. Is this normal? because even if I had 4 MB of RAM on the ASR-10, could only load the operating system ...

If this is normal ... :oops: :oops: :oops: :|

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Antuan wrote: That is, the original file ASR125OS.EDA measures 166 Kb, and to become ASR125OS.HFE occupies 3,921 Kb. Is this normal?
This is normal. No issue here.

Antuan

Post by Antuan »

Okay ... but

This affects the RAM space in the ASR? that's the big question. Because if so, i need a new motherboard with 16 MB of RAM to use the OS + the remaining free memory to load the instruments.

A Greeting.

pulkomandy

Post by pulkomandy »

No, this happens because the HFE format is much more precise about the floppy contents. It has the data, the tracks and sector identifiers, and information that goes beyond the size of a bit. All of this is required to be compatible with all floppy formattings on different hardware, and handle copy protected software.

The ASR-10 should see exactly the same thing as if you used it with a real floppy disk.

Antuan

Post by Antuan »

Hello pulkomandy.

Thank you very much for the information. I understand then that the RAM to be used in the ASR-10 is the same as if it were a floppy.

a Greeting.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

So finally did you manage to set the right jumper setting and connect the floppy cable to boot the ASR-10 ?

Here an image to test :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... DA_img.zip