Akai S20

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
urB

Akai S20

Post by urB »

On last topic about akai s950, some of you were also talking about using the emulator on a akai s20, but nothing then came after...
So I am using a S20 and thinking to use a emulator, but I am not sure if there is any chance that it works.
Anyone how can help or suggest, thank you!
Philippe

ps: I could also try on a remix 16, which is the same component in a bigger box (I think).

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Akai S20

Post by Jeff »

urB wrote:On last topic about akai s950, some of you were also talking about using the emulator on a akai s20, but nothing then came after...
So I am using a S20 and thinking to use a emulator, but I am not sure if there is any chance that it works.
Anyone how can help or suggest, thank you!
Philippe

ps: I could also try on a remix 16, which is the same component in a bigger box (I think).
if the drive use a standard 34 pins floppy disk drive cable this should works !

urB

Post by urB »

thanks, I'll open it this evening or tomorow and check this out!

urB

Post by urB »

I finally opened the machine this week-end. It seems to be a standard floppy drive, I was able to plug an old one from a pc computer and it worked fine.
I wonder now what to choose between the case or naked interface, I would prefer the naked and make it internal. Is it always naked outside of the machine? Can you feet the naked one into the floppy drive empty tray? Or can you put it inside an empty floppy drive case?
Thank you

pulkomandy

Post by pulkomandy »

There are two holes in the HxC board that matches the fixation points for a floppy drive (if it's screwed from below, not from the sides). The problem with that is access to the buttons abd LCD display, you need to build a custom front panel to replace the floppy drive lid, and the screen is quite big so it may be hard to fit everything.
This is only for 3.5" drives. For 5.25" drives you have more space for the display but the mounting holes don't match...

Look around the forum to see how it can be integrated in different devices.

urB

Post by urB »

ok, I've check a bit, and I guess you need soldering skills to move the screen and the buttons... I will probably go for the cased edition.
Another thing, I read that there is a floppydriver sound... Is it possible to turn it off?

pulkomandy

Post by pulkomandy »

You need to solder a connector to move the buttons and LCD away yes. It's not very complicated soldering, just a standard HE10 header.

The sound can be turned off in the emulator settings.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

urB wrote:ok, I've check a bit, and I guess you need soldering skills to move the screen and the buttons... I will probably go for the cased edition.
Another thing, I read that there is a floppydriver sound... Is it possible to turn it off?
You can also wait a little and get the new version ;)

urB

Post by urB »

Thanks for this leak, I was waiting anyway for some money to come, I can wait a bit more! but I can't wait to see his new version!

dozzy

Post by dozzy »

Hello ya all !

Nothin more about the S20 floppy system replacement... Does it work? i wondered about ordering a Goteck usb (as it's cheap), i hope it could fit, but don't know if it's the better thing. Please help if it worked for you !!!!

PLease notice i don't really mind about files transfer between PC and S20. I'd like to get a easier and secured way to save samples, that's all :)

thanks a lot
:)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

dozzy

Post by dozzy »

nice to see that ^^

do you think it could work too with a (cheaper) Goteck floppy emulator?
could i get helped for the jumpers settings for S20?
anyone? 8)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Seriously... Are you really expecting that i do support for other products for free ?!?

What i said is that the HxC is working with the Akai S20. If you want support for other hardware, contact the respective manufacturer... Here we do HxC Floppy Emulator support...

https://hxc2001.com/img/hxcfe/SD_HxC_Flo ... 20_002.jpg

https://hxc2001.com/showroom/

dozzy

Post by dozzy »

well well well i'm so sorry !!!! :oops:
i'm new here, i thought HXC FDE was just the software emulation part... i missed the link between this forum and the hardware sale. Please excuse me.

In fact i don't matter the tools since i can be sure it works. And yes i've seen photos, but i've nevers see it in action (not find on youtube or else) and no specific tutorials for S20. I don't what is the "resistor" you talk about for S950 sampler on the shop page, i don't know how work jumpers...

I just want something working.

I'm sorry again.
thanks for your attention.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

It is working... Just take the SD HxC Rev F with the "Akai mod".