2.8" QD Disk Emulation

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
drkathode

Re: 2.8" QD Disk Emulation

Post by drkathode »

Jeff wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:46 pm
drkathode wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:01 pm
Hello everyone and thanks for this project. I am trying to get my gotek to work on my akai X7000 and it is the first time I have used gotek and hxc firmware. I have never used the original QD unit of the Akai and therefore I don't know if the hardware works.

I have already managed to install the firmware HxCFEUSB_V3_4_7_11a_QuickDisk, formatted the USB stick in FAT32 and copied the file DSKA0003_Akai_formatted.QD. As my gotek has 7 sec display and two buttons, "nor" appears on the display. When I try to load, save or verify the akai it gets frozen and I have to restart the machine.

I have created a custom QD firmware in Indexed mode but it does not work, "err" appears on the display.
Any suggestions?
Copy the indexed cfg file to the stick and change the DSKA0003_Akai_formatted.QD file name to DSKA0000_Akai_formatted.QD.
Ok thanks, now is better; "000" appears on the display but it still freezing when I try to save or load. I can hear the relay acting (maybe a relay for activating the QD motor?) but it doesn't disconnect and everything still freeze. I'm afraid the hardware is broken. :?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

drkathode wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:59 pm
Ok thanks, now is better; "000" appears on the display but it still freezing when I try to save or load. I can hear the relay acting (maybe a relay for activating the QD motor?) but it doesn't disconnect and everything still freeze. I'm afraid the hardware is broken. :?
Have you double checked your wiring ?

drkathode

Post by drkathode »

Yeah! now IT WORKS!! :D

The problem was a jumper on an incorrect place. I totally missed it. It's indicated in the wiring diagram and I confirmed by looking to a photo that you posted. I'm really happy!

Knuckx

Post by Knuckx »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:49 pm
Ok. The PR-100 pinout is the same as the S-10/S-220.
But i think that you have now the right pinout.
Knuckx wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:37 pm
So quite a lot of frustration, a multimeter and a PR-100 (which is a very similar sequencer) service manual later we get this:
I can confirm that this pinout is correct and working to replace a 12 pin Mitsumi QD drive in a MT-100. All working correctly with a custom firmware build set for Roland QD mode, read and write.

Jeff, would you like a QD image written with an MT-100 (it should be the same as a PR-100, disk format wise)?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Knuckx wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:29 am
I can confirm that this pinout is correct and working to replace a 12 pin Mitsumi QD drive in a MT-100. All working correctly with a custom firmware build set for Roland QD mode, read and write.

Jeff, would you like a QD image written with an MT-100 (it should be the same as a PR-100, disk format wise)?
Super, thanks for the feedback ! :D
Yes i am interested by the image, for study and add its support to the QD toolkit software. You can send me it to hxc2001 at hxc2001.com
btw is the firmware working without the "Roland" option on the MT-100 ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

drkathode wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:26 pm
Yeah! now IT WORKS!! :D

The problem was a jumper on an incorrect place. I totally missed it. It's indicated in the wiring diagram and I confirmed by looking to a photo that you posted. I'm really happy!
Then pictures, youtube video(s) , spread the word :wink:.

Knuckx

Post by Knuckx »

Jeff wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:02 am
Yes i am interested by the image, for study and add its support to the QD toolkit software. You can send me it to hxc2001 at hxc2001.com
btw is the firmware working without the "Roland" option on the MT-100 ?
Emailed you an "empty" image and a recording of a classic MIDI file.

The firmware appears to work just as well with and without the Roland option, but I have only performed a quick test with the Roland option off (load, save, verify, check). I have returned to a firmware with the Roland option on following this testing.

luovuus

Post by luovuus »

Hi, has anyone managed to get the Korg SQD-8 to work? It has a 12-pin connector. I used the Roland MT100 pinout and it seems to function with one exception--> WP to pin28 moved to pin26 disables write protect, but doesn't save/load. It returns illegal QD-error.

--Michael

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

luovuus wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:26 pm
Hi, has anyone managed to get the Korg SQD-8 to work? It has a 12-pin connector. I used the Roland MT100 pinout and it seems to function with one exception--> WP to pin28 moved to pin26 disables write protect, but doesn't save/load. It returns illegal QD-error.

--Michael
I are you sure about the pinout ? The pinout on the gotek shouldn't change : Write protect IS the pin 28 and the pin 26 have currently no function in the QD emulation.
What can you read on the gotek screen when you try read/write it ? Is the QD hxc firmware version installed ?

Trackdriver

Post by Trackdriver »

Is this close to a release? :)

j1mpst3r

Post by j1mpst3r »

etaoin wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:26 am
I've successfully saved and loaded a multi-disk sample from the Roland library as well now!
Hi All,

Is there any info on saving multi-disk samples on Roland S-10. After saving the first part the S-10 asks for a new QD, I press the button on the Gotek to choose the desired next Roland.QD file but nothing happens. I'm using latest firmware.

SOLVED. I was using a switch to toggle between the QD drive and the HxC. I needed to eject the loaded QD before switching to the HxC :oops:

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Trackdriver wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 am
Is this close to a release? :)
I am not sure to understand the question, but anyway the QuickDisk HxC firmware was released in August this year :wink:.

More details there : https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... kdisk.html

This is mostly used by Akai S612/S700/X7000 and Roland S10/S220 users.

luovuus

Post by luovuus »

Jeff wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:25 am
luovuus wrote:

--Michael
I are you sure about the pinout ? The pinout on the gotek shouldn't change : Write protect IS the pin 28 and the pin 26 have currently no function in the QD emulation.
What can you read on the gotek screen when you try read/write it ? Is the QD hxc firmware version installed ?
Firmware is the latest available that was in the quickdisk-folder, I tried both Roland and Generic. If I connect pin 28 the korg fails with write protect error. I will doublecheck the pins so that I haven't messed them up.

The gotek display, when saving or loading shows RD , 0/1, and the green light turns on and off after the invalid QD error on Korg.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok try this :

-> use the roland qd firmware version
-> take a blank .qd file
-> try to write something on this file
-> send me the file to hxc2001 at hxc2001.com

luovuus

Post by luovuus »

luovuus wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:36 am
Jeff wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:25 am
luovuus wrote:

--Michael
Firmware is the latest available that was in the quickdisk-folder, I tried both Roland and Generic. If I connect pin 28 the korg fails with write protect error. I will doublecheck the pins so that I haven't messed them up.

The gotek display, when saving or loading shows RD , 0/1, and the green light turns on and off after the invalid QD error on Korg.
Ok, doublechecked the connections and they match the 12-pin pinout. As for pin 28/5 (WP) it seems pin28 is high which causes error 2 (disk write protected) when trying to save on the Korg. When pin 5 is connected to ground it starts to save but fails with QD volume is bad error (4). When loading the error is Qd is damaged or bad (3). In both cases the green led lights and display shows RD. This test was using the generic QD firmware and I tried all 4 QD images. As the memory on the device is 32k and you can only save one file/side. It may need a different image, the question is how to get that?