2.8" QD Disk Emulation

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
hoby

Re: 2.8" QD Disk Emulation

Post by hoby »

Jeff wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:05 am

The firmware was tested successfully on Akai X7000, Akai S612 (MD280), Roland S10 (use the "Roland" UPD variant for Roland machines).
And this should definitively works on the others Roland machines (S-220, MKS-100...) (use the "Roland" UPD variant for Roland machines).

Of course you can ( you must !! :D ) report any issues you have with this official version !
Thanks for the effort. Its really cool you could get this to work!

z23

Post by z23 »

Jeff wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:19 am
z23 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:30 am
Just finished installing a gotek in my S-220. I notice I'm also getting verify errors every time, but it seems to save and I can reload a sound I recorded on the next boot up. I guess at this point we're just waiting for bug fixes?
This is fixed in the above firmware !

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

In the QuickDisk folder:

HxCFEUSB_V3_4_7_11a_Roland_QuickDisk.UPD

with the DSKA0001_Roland.QD file image.

Check that you have the right firmware flashed : If you have an lcd/oled gotek : just read the version, if you have a 7 segments gotek : remove the stick, press both buttons, select 'F' and then read the version numbers.
Man, I don't know how I missed all this, Maybe I'm just blind. But that's great news, I'll give the new firmware a shot! thanks again

j1mpst3r

Post by j1mpst3r »

You guys are AWESOME :D After years of wanting QD emulation I had given up :oops: Only for a friend to yesterday tell me he's getting HxC for his Akai S612 :shock:
So grateful for your work, my Gotek saves and loads perfectly on my S612 so I'm in heaven. Not that it's a major issue I have had not been able to Verify without error?

Many thanks to you all once again

J

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

j1mpst3r wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:37 pm
Not that it's a major issue I have had not been able to Verify without error?
Which firmware version are you using ? And which file are you trying to verify ?
About the Akai verify function, it compares the QD content with the memory content. Have you loaded the disk before the verify ?

j1mpst3r

Post by j1mpst3r »

Hi Jeff, I understood the verify function was used to verify that the saved data on the QD is the same as what is in memory. Basically verifying a successful save.

I will try verifying a freshly loaded QD as you suggest and report back.

HxCFEUSB_V3_4_7_11a_QuickDisk.UPD

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

j1mpst3r wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:01 am
Hi Jeff, I understood the verify function was used to verify that the saved data on the QD is the same as what is in memory. Basically verifying a successful save.

I will try verifying a freshly loaded QD as you suggest and report back.

HxCFEUSB_V3_4_7_11a_QuickDisk.UPD
One thing to note : Some machines as the Akai X7000 are able to read/import others machines/formats QD disks (the X7000 appears to be able to read S612, S700 and even Roland QD disks !). But since this is an importation, the data is different between the memory and QD drive. In these case you need to save to migrate the data to your machine format and then the "verify" function will work.

j1mpst3r

Post by j1mpst3r »

Must just be a ghost in my machine.

After loading, saving and verifying wasn't successful on any source regardless of it being sampled on this machine or imported from a QD, I decided to reconnect the original QD drive and check that it would verify. Indeed it behaved the same and wouldn't verify. But after a few tries it did verify and since then always verifies :D I quickly reconnected the HxC and now that is also verifying every time :D

Sorry to waste your time, seems there's an issue with my S612 and this is unrelated to HxC.

Knuckx

Post by Knuckx »

Hi all,

I've got a Roland MT-100, and have got a Gotek in the post which I will be flashing HxC to for QD emulation. I have just taken the MT-100 apart to remove the original QD drive to check the connector type (& make an appropriate cable); however the connector (on both the drive and the MT-100 board) is 12 pins not 10.

The drive is a Mitsumi, and probably doesn't work (belt has turned to paste) and even if it did I don't have any QuickDisks.

Is there a 12 pin Mitsumi QuickDisk -> HxC Gotek wiring diagram available? I couldn't see one in this thread.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Knuckx wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:13 pm
Hi all,

I've got a Roland MT-100, and have got a Gotek in the post which I will be flashing HxC to for QD emulation. I have just taken the MT-100 apart to remove the original QD drive to check the connector type (& make an appropriate cable); however the connector (on both the drive and the MT-100 board) is 12 pins not 10.

The drive is a Mitsumi, and probably doesn't work (belt has turned to paste) and even if it did I don't have any QuickDisks.

Is there a 12 pin Mitsumi QuickDisk -> HxC Gotek wiring diagram available? I couldn't see one in this thread.
Have you a way to found the GND on the connector ( with a multimeter for example) ?

The only 12 pins QD pinout i found come from the Nintendo FDS drive. This drive is based on a Mitsumi QD drive, so this may match :
Image5.jpg
Image5.jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 28793 times
But to be "sure" check that the GND and +5V pins are matching with the above pinout.

Knuckx

Post by Knuckx »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:06 am
Have you a way to found the GND on the connector ( with a multimeter for example) ?

The only 12 pins QD pinout i found come from the Nintendo FDS drive. This drive is based on a Mitsumi QD drive, so this may match :
It's not the FDS pinout.

So quite a lot of frustration, a multimeter and a PR-100 (which is a very similar sequencer) service manual later we get this:
QD Pinout.PNG
QD Pinout.PNG (12.8 KiB) Viewed 28770 times
Yes, the connector pin numbers are back to front between the MT-100 and the QD drive. (Thanks Roland!)

Here's the PR-100 QD Controller circuit diagram (taken from the service notes) I worked from; both the ICs shown are present on the MT-100 as well.
PR-100 QDC.png
PR-100 QDC.png (163.29 KiB) Viewed 28770 times
I haven't tested this pinout as my Gotek hasn't arrived yet. I think this Mitsumi 12-pin drive is the same as that used in certain word processors (like this one: https://cromwell-intl.com/technical/qui ... overy.html).

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok. The PR-100 pinout is the same as the S-10/S-220.
But i think that you have now the right pinout.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

First test of the XD-280, a full Akai MD-280 QD unit replacement for the Akai S612 : Working out the box ! :D

XD-280 SN-000 cropped.jpg
XD-280 SN-000 cropped.jpg (69.3 KiB) Viewed 28746 times

More details on gearslutz :
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... -s612.html

Akai QD Library demo :
https://soundcloud.com/hideaway-studio/ ... 12/s-egqlM

:D

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

QuickDisk HxC Gotek installation instructions updated :

https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... kdisk.html

Added this about the wiring :

The wiring can be done without soldering on most machines. Below an example of wiring done with "Jumper cables" :

(Bigger image size : https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... Wiring.jpg)

Here it is the typical male to female jumper cables you can use :

https://uk.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg-j ... dp/2452749

drkathode

Post by drkathode »

Hello everyone and thanks for this project. I am trying to get my gotek to work on my akai X7000 and it is the first time I have used gotek and hxc firmware. I have never used the original QD unit of the Akai and therefore I don't know if the hardware works.

I have already managed to install the firmware HxCFEUSB_V3_4_7_11a_QuickDisk, formatted the USB stick in FAT32 and copied the file DSKA0003_Akai_formatted.QD. As my gotek has 7 sec display and two buttons, "nor" appears on the display. When I try to load, save or verify the akai it gets frozen and I have to restart the machine.

I have created a custom QD firmware in Indexed mode but it does not work, "err" appears on the display.
Any suggestions?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

drkathode wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:01 pm
Hello everyone and thanks for this project. I am trying to get my gotek to work on my akai X7000 and it is the first time I have used gotek and hxc firmware. I have never used the original QD unit of the Akai and therefore I don't know if the hardware works.

I have already managed to install the firmware HxCFEUSB_V3_4_7_11a_QuickDisk, formatted the USB stick in FAT32 and copied the file DSKA0003_Akai_formatted.QD. As my gotek has 7 sec display and two buttons, "nor" appears on the display. When I try to load, save or verify the akai it gets frozen and I have to restart the machine.

I have created a custom QD firmware in Indexed mode but it does not work, "err" appears on the display.
Any suggestions?
Copy the indexed cfg file to the stick and change the DSKA0003_Akai_formatted.QD file name to DSKA0000_Akai_formatted.QD.