Ensoniq EPS with GOTEK USB stick drive

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
daveengelke

Re: Ensoniq EPS with GOTEK USB stick drive

Post by daveengelke »

SDHxCFE_Ensoniq_EPS.zip

i just copied the contents of this file from the QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages.zip to USB

now the gotek displays "Nor"

do i need to rename the files?

daveengelke

Post by daveengelke »

Yes - i copied SDHxCFE_Ensoniq_EPS.zip contents to USB. now the gotek displays "Nor"

there seems to be more than one os in the zip plus some sample files. do i need to rename a specific file to something like DSKA000 ??

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

daveengelke wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 pm
Yes - i copied SDHxCFE_Ensoniq_EPS.zip contents to USB. now the gotek displays "Nor"

there seems to be more than one os in the zip plus some sample files. do i need to rename a specific file to something like DSKA000 ??
Yes you should use the indexed mode. rename the right cfg file and the hfe files ( like this : DSKA0000.HFE, DSKA0001.HFE,...)

daveengelke

Post by daveengelke »

Update -

i re flashed with HXCFEUSB_V3_1_23_1a.UPD. also discovered S0 pin was not set correctly. Now correct and no jumper on JA for pin 34 ready.

using index.cfg and renamed EPS249OS.hfe to DSKA0000.hfe both on root of USB

EPS now loads OS (yea!)

next i renamed some instrument files to DSKA0001,DSKA0002, etc. they will not load. i use buttons on Gotek to select a disk. then use LOAD on EPS.

EPS reply - "Disk Drive Not Ready"

FYI - i tried setting the JA jumper and retested - now the OS will not load. reset to prior config.

any ideas on EPS reply - "Disk Drive Not Ready" for instruments?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

daveengelke wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:00 am
next i renamed some instrument files to DSKA0001,DSKA0002, etc. they will not load. i use buttons on Gotek to select a disk. then use LOAD on EPS.
What are these instrument files (which format?)

daveengelke

Post by daveengelke »

The instrument files are from the same quicinstall zip folder the OS was in. they are all HFE. example: STRINGS.hfe and i renamed it it to DSKA0001.hfe

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What can you read on the emulator display ?

daveengelke

Post by daveengelke »

I made a test to see if other files can be accessed other than 000. i copied the OS to DSKA0001.hfe. i can use the sample button to cause the eps to read the OS. it will read the OS from DSKA0000 and DSKA0001 and will swap between them without a problem. Just seems like the instrument files are not correct in some fashion. FYI i have tried several from the Quick Install ZIP with the same negative result. I also tried files from other sources and same negative result.

daveengelke

Post by daveengelke »

the 3 digit display flashes when i increment with the two buttons. and then reads the disk number i stop on. 000, 001, 002 etc. then i press the LOAD button on the EPS the green led activity light activates and then the EPS replies DISK DRIVE NOT READY.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

daveengelke wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:08 pm
the 3 digit display flashes when i increment with the two buttons. and then reads the disk number i stop on. 000, 001, 002 etc. then i press the LOAD button on the EPS the green led activity light activates and then the EPS replies DISK DRIVE NOT READY.
Can you try this ? : Duplicate the OS HFE to DSKA0003.HFE. Then on the EPS format it to use it as an instrument disk.
Is this working ?

daveengelke

Post by daveengelke »

I can use the EPS format Floppy function. it will format any DSKA00XX.hfe i point it to. i can also copy the OS to all those formatted disks.

what still remains a problem - all the instrument.hfe files i have when name changed to DSKA00XX.hfe show up on the EPS as disk not formatted when i try to use them as a source disk when using EPS copy disk function.

so - i can create blank formatted disks and i can copy the OS to any disk i choose. i cannot read the instrument files in the Quickinstall folder.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

daveengelke wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:54 pm
I can use the EPS format Floppy function. it will format any DSKA00XX.hfe i point it to. i can also copy the OS to all those formatted disks.

what still remains a problem - all the instrument.hfe files i have when name changed to DSKA00XX.hfe show up on the EPS as disk not formatted when i try to use them as a source disk when using EPS copy disk function.

so - i can create blank formatted disks and i can copy the OS to any disk i choose. i cannot read the instrument files in the Quickinstall folder.
The question is : Can you save and reload instrument on the image you have formatted ?

daveengelke

Post by daveengelke »

Understood. Yes, i can create a new instrument in EPS and save it to formatted DSKA00XX.hfe. and i can reload it to EPS.

Seems like the hfe files in Quickinstall zip are somehow different? FYI - i have tried hfe files from some other sources with the same negative result.

daveengelke

Post by daveengelke »

Is there a specific procedure or tool for coping an hfe from windows pc to USB? i am just using standard windows copy and paste.