Gotek Programming via USBA to USBA cable

zarkers

Gotek Programming via USBA to USBA cable

Post by zarkers »

Hi there,

I purchased the HxC firmware recently and have a few questions:

== 1. Gotek Programming via USBA to USBA cable ==

In the past I programmed my Gotek drives (as I have several retro machines) using a USBA to USBA cable. I'm using DFuseDemo to write the firmware to the Gotek, however this requires a .dfu file, not a .upd file.

Q: Is it possible to provide a .dfu file?
.hex, .bin, and .s19 files can also be converted to .dfu using "DFU File Manager" tool, so they should also be useable
- Guide on how DFuseDemo is used : http://www.binarydevotion.com/?p=228
- DFuseDemo download (includes DFU File Manager) : http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/pro ... 32080.html

Is this method of programming firmware not supported? I don't have a serial to USB adapter that you use to program them so it seems I'm stuck.
A once off DFU file would be great for those who use USBA to USBA cables, no need to keep generating new DFU files for each version as afterwards we can upgrade via USB memory stick (UPD file).

== 2. Purchase process ==

Yesterday I purchased the license and have received the webportage invoice by email [order # 132057]. Is there anything else I was meant to receive? I was expecting some license key, or a special link or something to license the gotek firmware. Or perhaps it is not automatic and I need to wait a little longer?
Please forgive my ignorance as I'm new to HxC firmware and the process..

== 3. Upgrade from memory stick ==

I was wondering if it is possible to update from memory stick to HxC by placing the .UPD file on a memory stick. I tried it and it didn't work, but thought I may as well ask as maybe there is some way to get it working.

z

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Gotek Programming via USBA to USBA cable

Post by Jeff »

zarkers wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:41 am
Hi there,

I purchased the HxC firmware recently and have a few questions:

== 1. Gotek Programming via USBA to USBA cable ==

In the past I programmed my Gotek drives (as I have several retro machines) using a USBA to USBA cable. I'm using DFuseDemo to write the firmware to the Gotek, however this requires a .dfu file, not a .upd file.

Q: Is it possible to provide a .dfu file?

Is this method of programming firmware not supported? I don't have a serial to USB adapter that you use to program them so it seems I'm stuck.
A once off DFU file would be great for those who use USBA to USBA cables, no need to keep generating new DFU files for each version as afterwards we can upgrade via USB memory stick (UPD file).

Yes, just contact me at hxc2001 @ hxc2001.com, i will provide you one hex to initiate the installation ( but i will let you convert it to dfu ;) ).

zarkers wrote:

== 2. Purchase process ==

Yesterday I purchased the license and have received the webportage invoice by email [order # 132057]. Is there anything else I was meant to receive? I was expecting some license key, or a special link or something to license the gotek firmware. Or perhaps it is not automatic and I need to wait a little longer?
Please forgive my ignorance as I'm new to HxC firmware and the process..

You should have received an email with the flash procedure + login information some minutes later. if you didn't please contact me to provide me the used/provided email (i don't see your email here, it is different from your forum email ?)

zarkers wrote:

== 3. Upgrade from memory stick ==

I was wondering if it is possible to update from memory stick to HxC by placing the .UPD file on a memory stick. I tried it and it didn't work, but thought I may as well ask as maybe there is some way to get it working.

z

Yes, this is supported with some version of gotek, just contact me at hxc2001 @ hxc2001.com, i will provide you one upd to initiate the installation.

zarkers

Post by zarkers »

Hi Jeff thanks for your reply. I have sent an email from the email address I used to purchase the license. Yes it is a different email address to the one I used on the forum, sorry I should’ve used the same one.

Cheers

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

zarkers wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:01 pm
Hi Jeff thanks for your reply. I have sent an email from the email address I used to purchase the license. Yes it is a different email address to the one I used on the forum, sorry I should’ve used the same one.

Cheers
I have answered . Let me know if you have received the email.

zarkers

Post by zarkers »

Thanks again for your help Jeff, you were very patient with me.

For anyone else having issues flashing the HxC firmware onto a Gotek drive - If you have added an OLED screen you need to remove it and put back the original LCD screen. It will save you a LOT of trouble.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

zarkers wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:35 am
Thanks again for your help Jeff, you were very patient with me.

For anyone else having issues flashing the HxC firmware onto a Gotek drive - If you have added an OLED screen you need to remove it and put back the original LCD screen. It will save you a LOT of trouble.
No, of course this is NOT needed, and this wasn't the issue ;)
you can keep the OLED screen connected.

zarkers

Post by zarkers »

>> No, of course this is NOT needed, and this wasn't the issue

Technically you are right - if you have done the license process before, or have a different OLED brand.
However I was unable to follow the directions properly as the OLED display was not initialising properly during the license process, so I had no cues as to when to remove the USB. What happened is without the OLED displaying output the only cue I had was the read/write LED from the USB polling (reading).. I thought it was still writing the file 30-60mins later, when in reality it had written the file in a matter of seconds. Yes I feel stupid but I had no idea what to expect, or how long it would take. Also, after leaving the USB stick in for ages the Gotek would inevitably crash after polling with USB still in drive for an hour or so, at which point the LED light stopped blinking and I thought - oh it's finally done :roll: :oops: (interesting though that it didn't crash when polling if the USB was removed)

Also, I think I might have had an issue where some of my USB sticks didn't work well with HxC. Again, if the OLED had been working it would've been quick to tell which USB stick worked and which didn't.

So that's why I said "If you have added an OLED screen you need to remove it and put back the original LCD screen. It will save you a LOT of trouble". Because once I put the LCD screen back in it was obvious what was happening and the license process was straightforward from that point on. Although if I were to write it again I would say "I strongly urge" rather than "you need to" :)