Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post Reply
smvts
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by smvts » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi,
I got a Coat-A-Matic painting robot with Robox RC9400 controller that uses 3.5" DD floppies, what I can see it´s a version of TEAC FD-235 drive with the jumpers set at DS0, RY, HA.
I also have a Gotek drive with Hxc firmware and a jumper set on S0.
I have formated a floppy in the machine which I then have read with OmniFlop to do a image of and converted to hfe with the floppy emulator software.
When I put the USB with the DSKA000.hfe and configfile in the Gotek in the machine it say "000", when I try to access the drive the green LED on the Gotek lights up, but after a while the machine says "Timed Out" and can´t read the "disc".

I have tried a couple of diffent interface options like Generic Shugart, Auto, From hfe, with no luck.
I don´t know if I have missed something or what I´m doing wrong?

Any suggestions?

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by Jeff » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 pm

smvts wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm
Hi,
I got a Coat-A-Matic painting robot with Robox RC9400 controller that uses 3.5" DD floppies, what I can see it´s a version of TEAC FD-235 drive with the jumpers set at DS0, RY, HA.
I also have a Gotek drive with Hxc firmware and a jumper set on S0.
I have formated a floppy in the machine which I then have read with OmniFlop to do a image of and converted to hfe with the floppy emulator software.
When I put the USB with the DSKA000.hfe and configfile in the Gotek in the machine it say "000", when I try to access the drive the green LED on the Gotek lights up, but after a while the machine says "Timed Out" and can´t read the "disc".

I have tried a couple of diffent interface options like Generic Shugart, Auto, From hfe, with no luck.
I don´t know if I have missed something or what I´m doing wrong?

Any suggestions?
Which floppy format is supporting this machine ? DOS Floppy disks or something different/not compatible with PC computers ?

smvts
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by smvts » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi,
it´s using standard 3 1⁄2-inch DD floppy discs, it´s non-standard / non-DOS fomatted.
I can read it using OmniFlop on a PC.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm

smvts wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm
Hi,
it´s using standard 3 1⁄2-inch DD floppy discs, it´s non-standard / non-DOS fomatted.
I can read it using OmniFlop on a PC.
Does omniflop recognize the disk properly ?

Can you try to use the hxc software to read the disk ? :

(Page 14) :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... al_ENG.pdf

smvts
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by smvts » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:08 am

Hi again

now I tried some more,
OmniFlop does recognize the disk and I can read it and I have made a img-file, but with that file I get time-out error when I try it in the Gotek.

But I have managed to use that hfe-file in the machine to re-format the file and when I opened that file with the track analyser in the floppy emulator software I can see that it´s formated with 77tracks, single sided, 15 sectors that is 256kB each for a total of 1155 sectors.

So now I have made an hfe file with those parameters.

But now to my next problem:

When I use the Gotek with the hXc firmware to format the hfe file in the machine I got read error in the end.
When I open the file with track analyser, the data is everywhere on the disk, it´s not consistent!

But when I use a Gotek with FF firmware, there is´t a problem, I can fomat it with out a problem, and when I open that file in track analyser, all look good.

So I don´t know if there is a parameter I missed in the hxc software or what it is?

I have done no configuration on the Gotek drive, just a jumper on S0 and the same hfe file on the USB stick.

I have attached two screenshots which shows the differens between the the files.
Attachments
fomated with hxc.PNG
fomated with hxc.PNG (183.08 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
formated with FF.PNG
formated with FF.PNG (154.38 KiB) Viewed 1311 times

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:24 am

Please share the HFE files or send me them to hxc2001 at hxc2001.com, i will have a closer look.
i suspect that there is a bitrate/rpm setting issue.
And i am not sure to understand ? : Expect the format issue, did you managed to use the hfe file from the converted omniflop finally ? Can you read/write files on the machine (the HxC one of course, i don't care about the other...)

Also please note that i don't offer support if you don't have the true HxC firmware.
i don't have you in my database... where did you got this gotek ? from a reseller ? If so, have you tried to update the firmware ? You may have an quite old version.

For the updates:
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... _notes.txt
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip
Procedure : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1683#p16456


You can read the current version in the internal menu (see "Internal parameters settings" : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1683#p16457)
(some resellers still deliver the 3.0.8.2 version...)

smvts
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by smvts » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:32 pm

I will ty to explain what I did; I used OmniFlop, it could read the disk, when it was reading the disk I saw the numbers 77/1/256 somewhere.
Then when I saved the disk to a img-file OmniFlop only wanted to save it as a 80/2/512 image. I don´t know if it´s because the disk was pre-fomated as a IBM-PC disk once and Omniflop wanted to save it as that.

Then I took that img-file and converted it to a HFE-file in the Floppy disk emulator software and transfered it to a USB-stick.

The machine could not read that file, it timed-out on that command. But I could format the disk-image in the machine, but with hXc firmware I got a read error at the end.
Than I used the other Gotek with the other firmware that I had lying around just to try something, and it could finish the format without errors.

After that I opened the newly formated HFE-file in the track analyser and saw that the machine had formated over the first 77 tracks on side 0 with 15 sectors that was 256kB each.

And that is the HFE-file I using now and it´s seems to work with FF but with hXc there is some timing issues or something.

The hXc Goteks I have bought pre-flashed at Amigastore.eu, so I really hope it´s genuine.
I have updated it from 3.1.28.1 to 3.1.37.1 but it´s the same problem.

I´ll attach the files here.
Attachments
Formated hfe files.zip
(135.77 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:38 pm

i recommend you to avoid omniflop. Please directly use the hxc software to dump/read the disk.

Please see the Page 14 for the procedure :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... al_ENG.pdf

You can also use ImageDisk (under dos) or a kryoflux solution you want.
omniflop output format lost some important informations (the disk layout etc).

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:47 pm

Please try to format the attached blank image.
Blank.hfe.zip
(2.7 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
and send me/share the result.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:10 pm

And also please try the attached firmware. This one should support the omniflop images directly :
the file images should have the img or dsk extension and the file size should be 295680 (15*256*1*77) to be loaded by this firmware
choose "Robox RC9400" in the "System family" menu.
HxCUSBFE.UPD
(77.5 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

smvts
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by smvts » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:32 pm

Jeff wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:47 pm
Please try to format the attached blank image.

Blank.hfe.zip

and send me/share the result.
I tried this and it sometimes work, sometimes not

I´ll attach working and non-working files
Attachments
Formated.zip
(179.62 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:03 pm

smvts wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:32 pm
Jeff wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:47 pm
Please try to format the attached blank image.

Blank.hfe.zip

and send me/share the result.
I tried this and it sometimes work, sometimes not

I´ll attach working and non-working files
Thanks. Can you just retry with another/different usb stick ?

And what about the new firmware and the Robox img support ? Have you tried it ?

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Direct Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400 img/raw image support tested and released :
16 February 2019 : Firmware STM32 USB HxCFloppyEmulator v3.1.37.3a ( -> In the "Next_WIP_Alpha_Firmware_And_Tools" Folder !)

New raw format support :

- Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400 (*.IMG/*.DSK) (289KB)
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... _notes.txt

And the hxc beta software also have also the Robox RC9400 custom format (load raw file function) :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... t_beta.zip

For the formatting problem on HFE files i suspect an issue with your usb stick.

smvts
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by smvts » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Jeff wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:02 pm
Direct Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400 img/raw image support tested and released :
16 February 2019 : Firmware STM32 USB HxCFloppyEmulator v3.1.37.3a ( -> In the "Next_WIP_Alpha_Firmware_And_Tools" Folder !)

New raw format support :

- Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400 (*.IMG/*.DSK) (289KB)
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... _notes.txt

And the hxc beta software also have also the Robox RC9400 custom format (load raw file function) :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... t_beta.zip

For the formatting problem on HFE files i suspect an issue with your usb stick.
Hi, I haven´t tried with the new firmware and img-support, I´ll just did a new img-dump with Floppy emulator software insted of OmniFlop, I´ll try it next week when I´m back at work.
And I´ll try another USB-stick, I have two of the same brand and type that I tried and it seems that one work better then the other, I´ll try with a completely different brand of USB-stick and see what happens.

smvts
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Re: Coat-A-Matic 9400 / Robox RC9400

Post by smvts » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Now I have tried the 3.1.37.3a firmware and IMG-support and it seems to work fine. I have also tried with another USB-stick and it also seems to work, I have done some formatting and copying files without errors.

Post Reply