Korg DSS-1 and Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL

HxC Floppy Emulator Korg DSS1 support
DSSDAN

Korg DSS-1 and Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL

Post by DSSDAN »

Hi - I have a Korg DSS-1 that I'm trying to update with a USB drive.

The USB emulator I've purchased is a Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL.

I've tried following the forum posts to set this up, but the drive isn't reading anything. I simply get 'd0' appear when I try to select a disk.

Should the format be .dsk or .hfe?
Do I need to flash the Gotek? If so, how is this done?

I'm hoping that someone would be able to provide a step by step guide on how this is done (I think I'm almost there).

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Korg DSS-1 and Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL

Post by Jeff »

You need first to have the HxC Firmware for Gotek : https://hxc2001.com/store

Maych

Post by Maych »

I believe the new firmware has been updated correctly on the Gotek and comes up with LDR upon boot. At this point I formatted a 2gb usb stick (and many other ones during my troubleshooting) as FAT, then copied the HXCFEUSB_V3_1_23_1a.upd. I then copied the normal HXCSDFE.CFG. After holding the 2 buttons down on boot up, the emulator does its thing and then posts NOR. After additional troubleshooting, it appears I need to use the index HXCSDFE.CFG, so I overwrote the normal with index. While holding the two buttons on the emulator upon boot I get 3 sequences that run over and over (000 --- err) Using these files and lots of other attempts, I do put .dsk and or .hfc files on the usb drive in hopes of being able to read one, but I never seem to get close. file format example.. la0000.hfc etc.. I'm at a lost and really could use some help

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Maych wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:24 am
I believe the new firmware has been updated correctly on the Gotek and comes up with LDR upon boot. At this point I formatted a 2gb usb stick (and many other ones during my troubleshooting) as FAT, then copied the HXCFEUSB_V3_1_23_1a.upd. I then copied the normal HXCSDFE.CFG. After holding the 2 buttons down on boot up, the emulator does its thing and then posts NOR. After additional troubleshooting, it appears I need to use the index HXCSDFE.CFG, so I overwrote the normal with index. While holding the two buttons on the emulator upon boot I get 3 sequences that run over and over (000 --- err) Using these files and lots of other attempts, I do put .dsk and or .hfc files on the usb drive in hopes of being able to read one, but I never seem to get close. file format example.. la0000.hfc etc.. I'm at a lost and really could use some help
In your case the file image should be named DSKA0000.HFE,DSKA0001.HFE,DSKA0002.HFE,...
Use the files for the korg dss1 present into this archive :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... Images.zip

Maych

Post by Maych »

The DSS-1 files in the zip I believe have 2 problems, first it has a normal cfg, and second they do not contain the file format DSKA0000.HFE, DSKA0001.HFE etc.. So first step is I replaced the CFG file with the index versus normal. Second step is I removed all but 2 hfe files and renamed them to DSKA0000.HFE,DSKA0001.HFE
Results:

After boot on the gotek I can select between 000 and 001, so it appears it sees the files, however when I go to load multisound I get the Drive not ready, set disk or cancel.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Maych wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:52 am
The DSS-1 files in the zip I believe have 2 problems, first it has a normal cfg, and second they do not contain the file format DSKA0000.HFE, DSKA0001.HFE etc.. So first step is I replaced the CFG file with the index versus normal. Second step is I removed all but 2 hfe files and renamed them to DSKA0000.HFE,DSKA0001.HFE
Results:

After boot on the gotek I can select between 000 and 001, so it appears it sees the files, however when I go to load multisound I get the Drive not ready, set disk or cancel.
Set the jumper to S0 and check this :
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... oting.html
Jeff wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:11 pm
Troubleshooting

Gotek drive with 3 digits 7 segments display:

:arrow: This doesn't work : The floppy image appears to be loaded by the emulator, but the machine can't read the disk.
The Gotek green LED is permanently lit (no flashing)

The floppy ribbon is probably connected to the wrong way. Try to reconnect it to the other way.

Explanation : A wrongly connected floppy ribbon force the drive selection by short-circuiting the floppy signals to the ground, and make the selection LED always lit. Of course the machine can't communicate with the emulator in such situation.
Be aware that with some machines the floppy ribbon coloured wire is NOT the pin 1 !

hawkinsnikwah

Post by hawkinsnikwah »

Did you ever get it to work? I'm having a similar issue. I currently have a formatted FAT USB with: HxCFEUSB_V3_4_9_4a.UPD, HXCSDFE.CFG, and the other .HFE files in the DSS-1 Quick Install folder. If I rename files to DSKA0000.hfe format, I'm able to cycle through folders on the Gotek, but when I go to load a sample it says "No Sounds"...

What am I doing wrong??? Any help would be great!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What can you read on the gotek screen without usb stick inserted?

hawkinsnikwah

Post by hawkinsnikwah »

Jeff wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:34 pm
What can you read on the gotek screen without usb stick inserted?
HxC when I boot up, then 000 when I put a flash drive in. I can then cycle through files if I rename them.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have you tried so save something on the disk ?

hawkinsnikwah

Post by hawkinsnikwah »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:00 am
Have you tried so save something on the disk ?
Yes. Good news... I figured out the problem, which had nothing to do with the Gotek. I was not loading them properly on the machine itself. The drive is working great.

Thanks for your help.

tmatos75

Post by tmatos75 »

What did you do to correct your problem that made it work?
I'm in the same situation you were in.
thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

tmatos75 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:46 pm
thanks
Have you the HxC Firmware on your gotek ?

tmatos75

Post by tmatos75 »

Not yet.
I want to understand everything that needs to be done for it to work before I start purchasing everything required.

Bigtunaaa

Post by Bigtunaaa »

Jeff wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:00 pm
tmatos75 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:46 pm
thanks
Have you the HxC Firmware on your gotek ?
Hello Jeff, I am not the same person but I am having the same problem. I am the same step where the USB drive lets me chose between 000 and 001 but when i try to load the system in the keyboard it say's Drive Not Ready. Same thing happens if I try to save something to the drive.