S950 Gotek USB floppy emulator

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
Bjarni

S950 Gotek USB floppy emulator

Post by Bjarni »

Hey ppl I just got my S950 couple of days ago. And I got it with a Gotek usb floppy emulator but it was not installed, but instead a broken floppy drive so i installed the emulator.

I don't have the cables to make a firmware update, and I have no clue what update is on it. it has been flashed with hxc at least it says so when i turn it on. but nothing more happens.

I did format my usb stick on a pc with fat32 and a mac ms-dos format and copied those dsk000X and the cfg file and neither is working. I can not see any floppy id's and when I try to save or load it says that the drive needs to be formatted or it is memory protected etc. Ive been reading alot on the interwebs and found alot of info here :) .

I just read her that the jumper was supposed to be on S1 but it was on the S0 on mine. I did the change but that did not do anything, maybe the green light on the drive started working but nothing more :/

So are the cfg Files only compatable with the right firmware updates? It also has the ib 9 scsi card installed , could that have something to do with it?
Is it possible to do the firmware update with the emulator installed on the S950?

Sorry for all the questions but I really need some help
:?:

Bjarni

Re: S950 Gotek USB floppy emulator

Post by Bjarni »

Guess it is just a broken drive, been trying different usb sticks and formatting them with ex fat and ms dos fat on mac and pc with fat16/32 but always getting the 003 blinking error :cry:

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

And without usb stick what is displayed on the gotek ?

Bjarni

Post by Bjarni »

it just stays on hxc

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

to update it : take the upd file present in the root of this archive and copy it to the usb stick. remove all others upd file from the stick.
insert it into the emulator, press both buttons, power up it.
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

regarding the issue with the s950, if the green led is always lit, reconnect the floppy ribbon to the other way. the jumper must be set to S0. all others jumpers removed.

Bjarni

Post by Bjarni »

Ok i just noticed when i was gonna check with the jumper and the ribbon cable that on the powersupply the 4 pin stick for tthe floppy is loose and are not making a connection, i actually did the firmware update while pressing the stick with a toothpick but im gonna solder it later today :wink:

Bjarni

Post by Bjarni »

I did the update and thanks for the files Jeff!

now the drive seems to be working correctly. That is , it loads when i turn on the machine and i can go in the sub menus, and it changes from hcx to nor when the usb stick is mounted,

But I can’t see the empty images that i have loaded and the option where you are supposed to switch images on the drive it self , nothing changes when i press one of the two buttons on it.

And when i try to scroll through floppy in disk mode it comes up “hard disk not ready” It has the ib 9 board mounted, could it be a faulty one? I checked with the ribbon cable and everything is connected properly

:|

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Bjarni wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:32 pm
hcx to nor when the usb stick is mounted
Since you have no LCD, you must use the indexed mode.
Please have a look the documentation about the indexed mode :

https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... ode-anchor

Bjarni

Post by Bjarni »

I have been using the indexed cfg file, ill give it another try today :D

Bjarni

Post by Bjarni »

ok i read through the readme_usage.txt in the zip file and saw it reads both *.hfe and img. so i changed all the dsk0000.hfe to *.img and after that im able to flip through the empty images on my usb stick when plugged into the drive :) . im totally new to this so I dont have much knowledge of these things. :roll:

but now im getting "oops! disk is unprepared. you must format it....." when ever i try to save then i tried to format it on the s950 but still getting that error message

my menus are set to

0. 0C
1. 0E
2. 02
3. 00

i dont know what this double step feature does but i decided to have it on auto

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Bjarni wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:39 pm
. so i changed all the dsk0000.hfe to *.img and
no and no ! don't rename the hfe files to img. and the name should be DSKA0000.HFE, DSKA0001.HFE, DSKA0002.HFE...
Use the S950 HFE files present into the this archive :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

Bjarni

Post by Bjarni »

I have been doing it all according to what ive been reading here, that is i was using the Index cfg file , but im telling you after i changed the dsk000...hfe to *.img then my drive is able to switch between the empty images 000 001 002 etc,

and im able to save now and load it again so it works for me with the img not the hfe, dont know what is reason for it but it works and im happy again :D

I was apparently using the wrong menu to save cause of the ib 9 board then that is the first menu in disk mode, your able to save the floppy to the hardisk there i guess and that was confusing me. this is my first akai s sampler so im not familiar with the saving procedure.

Thanks for helping me getting through this Jeff!

Bjarni

Post by Bjarni »

ok i started to get some errors with saving. so i changed the files back to *.hfe and now the drive reads the empty disks when named hfe and it seems to be working fine now :shock:

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Bjarni wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:51 am
ok i started to get some errors with saving. so i changed the files back to *.hfe and now the drive reads the empty disks when named hfe and it seems to be working fine now :shock:
You can't just rename hfe file to img or img to hfe... these are totally different file formats.

Since i am not sure what you have done, is the S950 HFE images are working for you ? :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

Bjarni

Post by Bjarni »

Yeah but thats what i did, so basicly i renamed 10 hfe dsk files to img and after that i was able to flip from 000-010 etc i was not able to do that before, but then it happend earlier today that i was getting a error while loadin what i had saved last night, so i figured since you said it shouldn’t work with those *.img files to make a new usb stick with dsk000.hfe...

When i plugged it in it i was all of asudden able to flip between the disk images with the hfe files

Dont know what happend but it works for me now to load my samples and the programs i have saved